Campgrounds Only For New(er) Rigs? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #21

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
I'm not THAT old!

Urban Dictionary: riffraff
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:35 PM   #22

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post

The kid ruckus

The point of all of this is to say that "riffraff" comes in all social strata, and with a 10 year loan and a home equity line of credit, many of them can take possession of the very latest camping gear.

There must be other ways to run a campground, like good judgement and enforcement of reasonable rules which don't include the build date of the people or the vehicles they drive or tow.

I drive an old truck and intend to keep it. I have a Scamp 13 which will go into my estate after I'm gone. So how does that make me a bad neighbor?

"Kid ruckus", Try having kids with head lamps at night running through sites! It's not "riffraff" it's bad parenting!

"Social strata", Has nothing to do with whether someone is "riffraff" or not! Just my opinion.... But one that has lead me to be able to enjoy people no matter what their "social strata" is. basically all my life.

"Other ways to run a campground", Yes there is, I did state I had the rule, but I didn't state that it was a back pocket protection that I used the discretion whether to honor the rule or not. I guess I wasn't clear on that point. Our park as well as all campground/park owners I personally know, use the rule just as I did. It's stated, but enforced only when needed! Now that being said, there are parks/campgrounds/resorts that adhere to the rule. But frankly that is their business and if that is the way they want to run it, so be it. I will suggest asking when that rule comes up! Having owned a older rv I found that the couple times that rule popped up, they inspected our rv and allowed us in. Again, are their resorts that won't allow older than 10 years, yes! But they own it, they can make the rules!

"The year of" , nor the type of vehicle someone is traveling in has no bearing on whether they are a bad neighbor! As I said, I was known for putting a pop up camper/campers right along side million dollar buses! So your trying to use a argument with me that I have already stated didn't make a difference when it came to guest in our park. As well as I stated, I see the rule changing, as the industry has changed.

But in the end, it doesn't matter what your driving, pulling, traveling in. It doesn't matter if you have doctorates, masters or zillions of dollars. When a business has a rule to run by, it's their business to do so. We as customers have the right not to go there, well not as customers with 10 year or older rigs in this case. But you get what I am trying to say.

CindyL, Unfortunately as for the rating people knowing about age discrimination, seriously doubt they give a rats patootie! Sorry! I have zero respect for the "rating" people! For them it's all about advertising dollars, nothing more! Understand I had a fabulous rating, but I got their number first time I met them. Good Sam, Woodall's, Trailer life, Camping World all under one corporate company. And the pitiful part, they won't work with each other! Neither know's what the other is doing. Seriously screwed up! Just my opinion but it's what I saw......
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:24 AM   #23

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I looked up reviews on this campground on Yelp. Not good, although I feel that people often only use services like Yelp if they are upset. In any case, after reading it, I am glad we were excluded.
Guess in the future, we need to look beyond Good Sam.

One thing to notice here. The rule is not on the website, and it should be.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:49 AM   #24

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'd post a negative review here Campground Reviews and RV Park Reviews
if enough people take the effort to report their satisfaction or dissatisfaction, the system will work. the nice cg's will prosper and the not so nice one's will perish.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #25

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Since I started this thread, I thought I would add a final note. I really have no problem with private campgrounds upholding their own policies and rules. If they choose to only have certain types of rigs or people, that is fine. I would just like to know this upfront when I'm shopping around. I don't see why a campground wouldn't say on the website that they only accept rigs that are newer. Then I wouldn't bother looking any further. This is true of hotels/motels that accept pets, too. If you don't want cats, say it upfront rather than saying you are pet friendly, implying you accept various types of pets. OK, I'm done for today!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #26

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
"Social strata", Has nothing to do with whether someone is "riffraff" or not! Just my opinion.... But one that has lead me to be able to enjoy people no matter what their "social strata" is. basically all my life. ......
That's pretty much exactly what I said...
"The point of all of this is to say that "riffraff" comes in all social strata."

Along the same line, I have seen RV Parks which which have minimum size requirements.

As for ..."But they own it, they can make the rules! " That's a real laugh in today's America!
I do agree that good management requires the authority to use good judgement and I lament it's erosion in recent decades.

Sometimes you even find common sense and good management at public facilities...
Below is a photo of our 13 Scamp at Stone Mountain Park GA.
After some friendly discussion we were allowed to camp in this spot which was in a section reserved for popups. The rationale for the restriction was that the sites were small and the access roads were tight,...
One glance at Eggy-Sue obviated the rule!
Attached Thumbnails
05 stone mt 036.jpg   05stone mt  038.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #27

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
This campground also does not accept pop-ups, according to reviews. One of the reviews said that they were turned away because of that rule, even though their pop-up was brand new. Several other comments indicated rules that were unevenly enforced. We would have been on the receiving end of little slips of paper indicating several violations of other regulations that reviews of this campground mentioned, i.e coolers left where they could be seen, screen houses allowed for some but not others. Best we are not going there.

Policies should be posted.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:44 PM   #28

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
One more point, a travel trailer age restriction could be detrimental to repeat business...

Wife sez: "Hey sweety...I really like this place, and we've been there several times, let's go back this year."
Husband sez: No can do, Hon ...the number on our trailer title is too small.
Better find another campground.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #29

Name: Gage
Trailer: 13' Burro
California
I guess I'm just going to have to tell a little white lie if they ask me what year my Burro is. I'll just tell them it's a 2010. Heck half of them can't tell the difference between an old 'egg' and a new 'egg'. Just like your Air Stream's. they all look alike.
gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:43 PM   #30

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by gage View Post
I guess I'm just going to have to tell a little white lie if they ask me what year my Burro is. I'll just tell them it's a 2010. Heck half of them can't tell the difference between an old 'egg' and a new 'egg'. Just like your Air Stream's. they all look alike.
That would be my solution.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:21 AM   #31

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Old Trailers!!,,,what about old tugs???
What about when they're together????????
We're headed down to San Diego
with this rig leaving Jan1.
Attached Thumbnails
Picture 073.jpg  
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #32

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
Kevin...there are some great campgrounds south of Tampa. We are currently at Ft. DeSoto (which is a Pinellas county park) for one more night. It is thus far my idea of a small piece of Eden.

But, there is also Manatee River and Myakka further south that are quite nice. A county park in Ruskin (on the way to Sarasota) is nice also as most of the sites are river front...the name escapes me at the moment.

So far I don't think we've been asked the age, but often the size. We've gotten some neat little sites because we will fit where the big rigs don't.

Enjoy your trip.

Josie and Craig

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote