Campgrounds recommended near Olympia, WA - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-17-2011, 04:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Campgrounds recommended near Olympia, WA

I was headed for the coast, but the heat wave in the east is not happening on the coast of Washington. Any recommendations for campgrounds in the area around Olympia?
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:26 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Depends on what you want. For camping try Olympic National Forest or Olympic National Park
If you want an RV park, I have no idea.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:22 PM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Most campgrounds along Hood Canal are nice. Or Millersylvania nearer Oly if it is still open. I have not Been to any of these in years, though.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:28 PM   #4

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A View Post
I was headed for the coast, but the heat wave in the east is not happening on the coast of Washington. Any recommendations for campgrounds in the area around Olympia?
Hi, Cam

If it's heat you're looking for, you might want to stay East of the Cascades- Olympia's weather is usually very similar to that on the coast, perhaps lacking a bit of the wind.
But if you want to camp near Olympia, the Capitol State Forest has several campgrounds- no amenities except tables, fire rings, and privys, but they're my favorite price- FREE!

Info at Capitol State Forest

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:39 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Hi, Cam

If it's heat you're looking for, you might want to stay East of the Cascades- Olympia's weather is usually very similar to that on the coast, perhaps lacking a bit of the wind.
But if you want to camp near Olympia, the Capitol State Forest has several campgrounds- no amenities except tables, fire rings, and privys, but they're my favorite price- FREE!

Info at Capitol State Forest

Francesca
It looks like the "FREE" part has changed. From what I can tell as of July 1, 2011, it's either $10.00 per day for $30 per year.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:52 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
It looks like the "FREE" part has changed. From what I can tell as of July 1, 2011, it's either $10.00 per day for $30 per year.
Hi, Byron

OOPS!
I forgot about the "Discover Pass", new this year. You get a lot for that $30.00 a year- it seems ALMOST free to me! If you don't buy this pass, use fees are assessed at lots of State-owned areas. Anybody traveling in Washington should get one of those- it's mostly a "day use" pass, and covers you at WDFW boatramps and at State Parks, too- though at the Parks, you still have to pay to camp overnight.
There's no such extra charge at DNR campgrounds that I know of- yet!

Francesca
Old 07-18-2011, 04:02 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Hi, Byron

OOPS!
I forgot about the "Discover Pass", new this year. You get a lot for that $30.00 a year- it seems ALMOST free to me! If you don't buy this pass, use fees are assessed at lots of State-owned areas. Anybody traveling in Washington should get one of those- it's mostly a "day use" pass, and covers you at WDFW boatramps and at State Parks, too- though at the Parks, you still have to pay to camp overnight.
There's no such extra charge at DNR campgrounds that I know of- yet!

Francesca

However, at last count I play in about 14 States. If every State charged $30.00/year per state that comes to about $420/year. I don't want to encourage this so I'll pass.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
However, at last count I play in about 14 States. If every State charged $30.00/year per state that comes to about $420/year. I don't want to encourage this so I'll pass.
Well, you'll be missing a lot, Byron!
And so close to where you live, too...
I don't mind paying these fees- seems like a better option than closures...and if we users shouldn't pay, who should?
What's the charge in Oregon now?
I used to buy the Oregon/Washington recreation Pass, but I don't think they sell that anymore...

Francesca
Old 07-18-2011, 07:44 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Well, you'll be missing a lot, Byron!
And so close to where you live, too...
I don't mind paying these fees- seems like a better option than closures...and if we users shouldn't pay, who should?
What's the charge in Oregon now?
I used to buy the Oregon/Washington recreation Pass, but I don't think they sell that anymore...

Francesca

Oregon has a $50 per 2 year day use pass for Oregon State Parks. I think the one you're referring to is the Forest Pass for NFS Region 6. I don't remember what the cost of that one is. It's for parking near at a trail head that has toilet facilities. The "Golden Age Passport" now called Senior Pass takes care of that. That one's a $10.00 fee and good for the rest of my life.

I don't go up into Washington very often. However last week we were at Mt Rainer. It was interesting but noisy and over crowded. Usually when we go north of the Columbia we go east to MT or WY or ID. Oregon has more than enough to keep us occupied for most of the summer and fall most years. Winter it's off to southern CA, NV, NM, AZ, TX or where ever the sun is shinning.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:46 AM   #10

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Thanks for all the suggestions. Hood Canal area was great (pleasantly surprised to find it was not a man made canal; honest), stayed at Penrose Point and Dosewallips for a few days. Then over to Salt Creek, Kalalock, and Pacific Beach campgrounds for the ocean experience. Mount Ranier was gorgeous, and Ohanapecosh campground was in old-growth forest. Stayed at Alta Lake and Lake Osoyoos on the dry side. After the pandamonium around the four mountain parks in BC/Alberta, I'm always amazed how accessible Washington state is. Seems to be a well-kept secret; in most campgrounds, there were very few out of state plates. Thanks again.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #11

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
Thanks for the great report on your Washington experience.
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote