Camping and Bears - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #41

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Outlaw View Post

You better pray that S&W helping you is a Model 500, because anything else they make is gonna be too small.
Tell that to the Indian dad met in Canada that had bear skulls all around his shack with .22 holes in them. I'm not saying I would try it, but it can be done.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:25 AM   #42

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
While at Cades Cove in Tenn., I wanted to get some pictures across the cove. I decided to climb up a little rise.

I noticed nothing unusual, and started to turn to get my picture, when a movement caught my eye. What almost appeared to be a boulder, stood straight up and started waving its head from side to side. It was a black bear.

It was far too close for my comfort. I was afraid to turn around and just kind of backed up very slowly. Then it walked into another area of the brush.

As I continue to slowly back up, out comes a little cub and then it went into the same area as the mom. Then another cub, comes out, and then another.

By then, I was far enough down the embankment to tell my BIL, about the family. He grabbed his camera and was able to get several really great shots as the bear family came back out of the woods, crossed the field and then road, stopping traffic, of course.

We had been around that cove many times in the past, in hopes of seeing a bear, but with no luck. I have now had a little closer experience than I had been looking for, and hope not to have again.

The three little bears were very cute, trailing their mama, single file, across the field though.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:35 AM   #43

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
We advise that outdoorsmen wear noisy little bells on their clothing so as not to startle bears that aren't expecting them. We also advise outdoorsmen to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear. It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity. Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear poop. Black bear poop is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear poop is larger and has little bells in it and smells like pepper.
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:42 AM   #44

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (Previously 2004 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec View Post
Legal or not, I always keep a few fireworks from the fourth of July on hand near the door. A couple packs of firecrackers and my personal favorite noise makers, 25-100 shot missile batteries, the little square kind you light and they go off rapidly like a bunch of bottle rockets. Never used them on a bear yet and maybe they would just tick them off, but I would care much less about a ticket for fireworks than being a meal. Is this a stupid idea or not to those more experienced?
Banging pots and pans at a black bear that is in the campground or near your trailer is a legal alternative. Encouraging good food behavior is also a good idea. The bears are often in the campgrounds because people leave food out or easily accessible and, having hit the jackpot once, they continue to come around to see what other tasty treats humans have for them. We had a black bear relocated from our neighborhood to another state after it got good at raiding trash cans. Very shortly, it was right back here because it had had such success here before.

And what you would do to protect yourself is different if you are talking black bear vs. grizzly bear. One would be happy to eat you, the other would be more likely to be happy to eat what's in your cooler, cabinets and fridge. At least that's how the black bears around here behave, for the most part.
Karen T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:13 PM   #45

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post
We advise that outdoorsmen wear noisy little bells on their clothing so as not to startle bears that aren't expecting them. We also advise outdoorsmen to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear. It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity. Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear poop. Black bear poop is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear poop is larger and has little bells in it and smells like pepper.
Pretty much sums it up. As a part-time resident of Alaska, I couldn't stop laughing at this.
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #46

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
We always have a bear spray canister within easy reach when about the camp. Only keep food in our bear-resistant-certified engel deep blue 80qt coolers or inside the van/parkliner. Now i realize that a thin metal/fiberglass wall is no match for a hungry bear, but we do our part in keeping a clean camp and not entice the local critters into an unwelcome visit.
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #47
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Last Thursday, at Cimarron Canyon State Park, New Mexico. He ran off when the guy with the Toyota hollered at him to "get out of here." As best I could tell, he was foraging in the weeds of a ravine, and was trying to cross the park road to continue it.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #48

Name: Teri
Trailer: Casita looking for, currently have a RoadTrek
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen T View Post
Banging pots and pans at a black bear that is in the campground or near your trailer is a legal alternative. Encouraging good food behavior is also a good idea. The bears are often in the campgrounds because people leave food out or easily accessible and, having hit the jackpot once, they continue to come around to see what other tasty treats humans have for them. We had a black bear relocated from our neighborhood to another state after it got good at raiding trash cans. Very shortly, it was right back here because it had had such success here before.

And what you would do to protect yourself is different if you are talking black bear vs. grizzly bear. One would be happy to eat you, the other would be more likely to be happy to eat what's in your cooler, cabinets and fridge. At least that's how the black bears around here behave, for the most part.
Sound advice. Having done bear patrol in Yosemite National Park for several summers. Black bears just want your food, not you. Don't get between a Mama Bear and her cubs. Don't throw rocks, make noise instead.

Fireworks are not advised, besides the fire danger they present.

Teri
teri85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #49

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
I am so glad you had thie experience of seeing them! I would love to see the pictures. The Smokies are a fairly safe haven for the black bear. They are gentle giants.
OOPS...sorry didn't realize this thread was so old..went back and read through it...My comment was for the people who saw the black bears in Cades Cove.
Glad I could not respond to the 2007 comments....
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #50

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta ESRD - Bear Deterrents
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:05 AM   #51

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
D Davis, I will see if I can figure out how to post them. They really were cute, once I figured out I was not in danger. terry
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:56 AM   #52

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
My grandmother told me a story about when my mom was little they took a cross country car trip to yellowstone park from NJ. Well they rented a little cabin to stay in, my grandfather popper the hood to check the engine after a long drive(ya know guy stuff) and as he is looking at the engine he see's a shadow come up next to him and he says "Kate, grab me a beer" a few seconds pass with no response and he looks up and a bear was standing there looking down at his engine. He screamed like a girl and ran into the cabin and the bear just wandered away.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:06 AM   #53

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by deryk View Post
........ He screamed like a girl and ran into the cabin and the bear just wandered away.
At least the bear didn't get his beer.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #54

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
Did anyone see the YouTube video shot by a hunter in a tree stand about the bear missing a front paw that walked through the woods upright. It was a little creepy watching it.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #55

Name: Vanessa
Trailer: UHaul
California
Registry
With tears in my eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMike A View Post

.....ROFLMAO..........Still Laughing...omg....still laughing!
luvrOlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #56

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
[Originally Posted by Vtec View Post
Ah, Jared, not talking about launching inside the trailer, but rather the coming through the campsites bear to scare them off. Inside the trailer I have help from Mr Smith and his friend "Wesson".]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
And, now we have to deal with an armed bear!
Nothing to fear Glenn, pretty sure are BC bears still cant legally pack so we can continue to camp with them in peace and harmony. Pretty sure they will shoot nothing at you when you yell at them to hit the road but an evil grin and as they walk off with the contents of your cooler.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote