Camping Chairs - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #21

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
mike--we tried those zero-gravity chairs but found the foot bar gets in the way of me getting out of the darn thing...guess my legs are too short. i found it awkward. and our neighbour, who is 6'2, finds it isn't long enough and the bar presses uncomfortably behind is ankle. if you're between 5'3 and under 6'2, then perhaps they are perfect!! IMHO
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:02 AM   #22

Trailer: 2006 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1993 Surburban
Registry
Interesting thread, I see there are no two people really endorse the same chair. I find all of them put pressure on the back of my leg and get uncomfortable quick. And I need a new chair so I have not really found the answer yet??
Jim Hovind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:06 AM   #23

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hovind View Post
Interesting thread, I see there are no two people really endorse the same chair. I find all of them put pressure on the back of my leg and get uncomfortable quick. And I need a new chair so I have not really found the answer yet??
personaly i have just bought a hand made cotton woven hammock that i intend to spend much of the summer in. i have grand children,,,,let them bring me lemonade!
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #24

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
It seems that we have had every kind of chair over the years.
More than comfort, it is important how you plan to use the chair.
Sure...I know you're gonna sit on 'em right?
But your also gonna tote 'em.
So when packing your gear the chairs need to find a place to fit in....
When director's type chairs(without tables) are folded. they form a square with an open center which is perfect for fitting around the base of a typical plastic tub. they take up almost no space at all when packing.
Umbrella chairs are more like "stuffers" and may fit in that wasted space when packing.

When you are at the campgrounds other factors count...
straight chair legs tend to sink into soft ground and can even tip over as a result, the ones with the base formed by a loop are more stable.
Umbrella chairs can be hard for older folks to get out of.
If you are a ScampCamp or gathering goer, then you probably need to forego heavy comfortable chairs in favor of something easy to carry to the potluck or the campfire(that's where those built-in side tables come in handy.)
If you have room, maybe an umbrella type stool to carry around the campground and something more comfy and heavy to leave at your site.
There are a lot of great choices from those old style woven ultra-lights to something more akin to a Barcalounger. Each one is perfect to fit someone's style!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #25

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Alps
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #26

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I think part of the chair decision relates to the type of travel you do. We're long rang travelers and have one rule. We don't want anything that rides in the trailer, we don't want to move anything out of the trailer when we stop for the night.

We want something light that will sit well on a beach, in a wooded area or on a patio. It needs to be easy to carry, generally that means light. We don't want cloth because you have to put it away at night.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #27

Name: Noel
Trailer: 1979 13' Boler
British Columbia
Registry
Some great points to ponder, floyd.

Thanks.
Red-Dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17 ft
Registry
Coleman Cooler Quad Chair.
Amazon.com: Cooler Quad Chair: Sports & Outdoors
I picked up one of these at the Ace Hardware in Bandon a few years back and got another one from Amazon.
Very light & the padded back adds a lot of warmth which is usually more important to us than ventilation - has a little soft-side cooler in one arm and magazine pocket.
Tashi likes the cup holder...
Attached Thumbnails
tashi.JPG  
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #29

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Floyd has some good points. I only take my Classic webchair when I know I'll be toting it from campsite to campsite during a gathering. When I'm going out alone, and expect to stay within my own site... I take my Lafuma... NIRVANA!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #30

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
There have been times for all of us when we would give next weeks paycheck for ANY chair. Like when back packing, or the time you drove a few hundred miles to camp and forgot your chair....DOH! The chairs Norm and Ginny use are like the ones I used for many years traveling to the local desert to ride motorcycles. You could find them at Thrifty drug for $4.99. They were weightless, got your butt off the ground, and would blow away when you forgot to fold them at night. For camping in a fiberglass egg those chairs are hard to beat. We also would buy those banana loungers at Thrifty, which you could sleep on in a pinch. They had steel tube frames and in lieu of webbing used plastic tubing wrapped around the frame. They could lock in several angles at both ends. Those suckers were expensive.... $12.95..... We bought em anyway. Time has brought us newer designs with more bells and whistles, at the expense of pork. Yes these modern computer designed chairs are heavier, and more comfortable, and you throw away if they break. We all have different needs, as our backsides are different, so there is no answer to the question. I am new to FGRVing, but it is similar to camping in the back of a pickup in that you can't take everything with you. I vote for simple lightweight chairs for weekenders, and you can splurge for the longer trips.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #31

Florida
Russ, Well said. We love our aluminum webbed chairs. On our long trips we can not justify the lounge type chairs that many find comfortable, and rightfully so.

Generally the lounge chairs are steel heavy and bulky nd we are not willing to give space to the in our smaller than average tow vehicle.

We do try to carry four chairs with us to provide seats for the visitors we get, that means small and light.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-28-2012, 10:50 PM   #32

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
These are pretty sweet if you like small and lightweight, and they are half off with free shipping:
TravelChair Larry Chair - Free Shipping at REI.com

Click image for larger version

Name:	travelchair-larry-chair.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	44431
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #33

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
These are pretty sweet if you like small and lightweight, and they are half off with free shipping:
TravelChair Larry Chair - Free Shipping at REI.com

Attachment 44431
Those really are neat!... now if only they had adjustable leg length!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #34

Florida
Too low for the aging Norm and friends.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-30-2012, 10:41 PM   #35

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Tops for Durability!

Just had to add...I have used these chairs for 20 years and am the second owner.
These are my camping chairs, they are 40 to 50 years old! Now, can you top that for durability. I love the retro look, they are sturdy and still have the original webbing. And match my CT13.
Attached Thumbnails
Northcreek2012ChairE.jpg   MyChairs.jpg  

D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:53 AM   #36

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Comfortable chairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Dwarf View Post
We're looking for recommendations for camping chairs - foldable and light weight, but sturdy and comfortable.

What are your favourite chair brands/models?

Thanks,
Noel&Grace
Hi
We use this type. Very comfortable, can sit and read in them all day
Attached Thumbnails
Camping-Chairs-2.jpg  
Old 03-31-2012, 12:40 PM   #37

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
What brand is that chair?
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:23 PM   #38

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Not sure of the brand ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
What brand is that chair?
Hi Mouse,
Not sure of the brand. We've had them for over a year now. To get the picture I just searched in Google Images for camp chairs. I noticed the images will lead you to vendors. Good luck!
Phil
Old 04-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #39

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2008 Casita Spirit DLX 17
Wisconsin
Strongback

I have a very sensitive back. Almost every chair I have ever tried either made my lower back hurt or the middle of my thighs were digging into the crossbar. I needed a anatomically correct camp chair. A friend saw these and I was given one for christmas. Nirvana!!! Can literally sit in it for hours. A friend who is fulltiming sits in one exclusively - Strongback Chair
2wiresdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #40

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves99 View Post
Hi
We use this type. Very comfortable, can sit and read in them all day
Mine finally broke after five years or so. I loved it. I can't find another one that is at a similar price. I'll have to search more, I guess.

The trouble with a comfy chair is, when I go to a gathering, it seems like somebody else plops in my chair while I am away for an instant.

I now like my low rider, adjustable back, canvas chair with cooler on the back. It comes with backpack straps. But I still liked the round one better.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote