Camping could help reset your internal body clock - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2013, 05:55 AM   #1

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Camping could help reset your internal body clock

"Camping in the wilderness can do more than just give us an appreciation for nature. According to a study published in Current Biology, it can also synchronize our internal clocks to the solar day, allowing us to normalize melatonin levels."
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:44 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think camping in general is good for all over health. At least it is for me. My typical day (M-F) means I'm exhausted by 5pm. When camping, I'm pretty stress-free, sleep better and wake up excited... instead of thinking "crap, it's only Tuesday"
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:50 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Weekend camping trips when you are working have a different feel than when you are retired . When I was working the week before the trip was filled with anticipation, not as much now that I am retired but the depressing thoughts I used to get on Sunday afternoon , knowing I had to return to work on Monday morning have vanished. Being retired often allows me to start my trip a day early if the anticipation gets too great or extend my trip if I desire . When I am working I couldn't help thinking about all the things I need to get done at home this weekend often deciding not to go camping but now that I am retired there is always tomorrow . In either case camping was good for my mental well being. I have never understood people who refuse to take their vacation time from work , time they have earned , deserve and need
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:59 AM   #4

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Because Im in the working world, and have limited time off and limited cash flow ( ) I do alot of weekend trips...even if its just down to my friends place in the pine barrens... not truelly roughing it, but certain times of the year I wake up there to the wild turkeys and deer passing through his property. Its relaxing, get to dump the stress of the week and sit and look up at the stars at night and feel infinite.

I am envious in a way of the retired folks who have all the time to get out and see and do more. I have way too many years to go till retirement but would love to be a gypsy for the rest of my life, traveling north for the summer, south for the winter... maybe follow some music festivals around the country... keep busy and surrounded by younger folks to help keep my lifes battery charged lol

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:46 AM   #5

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I'd like to know how the researchers set up the "camping" experience as nowadays we have access to modern "lights" whilst camping (not us) such as lanterns, RV indoor lights, TV, computer, smart phones, etc., etc., etc.

We are minimalist campers, using the trailer lights only for one hour to read before retiring. This last trip we woke to natural light as we did not cover our trailer windows with the block-out shades and found it was very refreshing to wake up with the light, something I don't always appreciate at home even though we have no window coverings there. I did notice that other campers mostly were in bed by 10pm but did not arise until 9ish while we were up by 7:30. This camp had no hookups and the bathrooms had no lights on at night. This made for a, mostly, quiet and traditional type of camping experience.

Hooray for all the great benefits of camping!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
"Camping in the wilderness can do more than just give us an appreciation for nature. According to a study published in Current Biology, it can also synchronize our internal clocks to the solar day, allowing us to normalize melatonin levels."
This study focused on artificial light's effects on people. I noticed these random things in the body of the text:

Quote:
Main Category: Sleep / Sleep Disorders / Insomnia

...they went camping in Colorado's Eagles Nest Wilderness without access to flashlights or electronic devices.

So those thinking of booking a camping trip may want to proceed. Just leave the laptop at home.
While I took my laptop and cellphone with me to Oregon on vacation, I found that we were usually camped in an area without cell coverage or wifi access. Thus I kept those things put away 98% of the time and experienced almost no stress!
Old 08-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #7

Name: Susan
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
I often make a mistake and take my iPad. That means I'm likely to stay up late playing video games. I read the camping study and realized--No iPad! I would probably sleep better, as well.
2008 Toyota 4Runner
Soozee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm still one of those workerbees. Five days a week, about 50 hours, I'm tethered to two PCs and one Mac... different applications require different OSs. At home, I'm on two PCs... there again different OSs. When I'm home and on the forums, I typically have 8-10 tabs open... jetting around the WWW trying to help or answer questions.

Camping... THAT embilical cord is cut. I'm totally offline. Miss y'all, truly... but I find myself (take your hands and scoop to the front)...calm.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Once retired I had to adjust my thinking a bit. I don't wear a watch, so I never know what time it is or the date or day of the week. Thus I can now adjust my thinking to everyday is Saturday, therefore when I get out of bed, whenever that is, it's just another Saturday.
That said for short camping trips we like the middle of the week, it's not as noisy, fewer people around and the stars are just as bright. When we're out for longer times in the summer we endure the week-ends and enjoy the non-week-end days. Our real preference is winter camping in places like Death Valley, Joshua Tree NP, Big Bend NP, etc. etc.
For those that are tied to the working situation that will change before you know it, plan on how you're going to adjust to a completely different way of living. Hobbies are important, camping in one of those, but there's others. Practice ways of really relaxing while camping now. If you're like some that really like being off the grid, work on managing being off the grid.
Somebody said something about camping in the "wilderness". You won't be camping in the "wilderness" with your trailer, but you can come pretty close with the National Forests and National Park non-wilderness areas.
Definition - Wilderness as defined by the US government is an area where there's no roads, no mechanized travel is allowed, even wheel barrows or bicycles are not allowed. They can't even use a chain saw for trail maintenance.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:54 AM   #10

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
There is not doubt validity to this study. Running my own business, dealing with customers. subtrades, suppliers and employees, keeps me plenty busy when at home. A typical sleep for me is about 11PM to 4:30 AM, and I never use an alarm.

This is not to mention the vast multitude of projects I have around home.

These concerns definitely weigh on my psyche, and affect my sleep patterns.

Don't get me wrong, I love getting up early. My head is clear, and I can get many things done way more efficiently at this time of day.

When camping, I leave all this behind, both in fact and in my mind. When at home, I am constantly feeling I need to do something either business wise, or tasks about the house. When I go camping, I think it is the fact that I can't do anything about it even if I wanted to, that I don't even consider it.

When doing weekend trips, like the 5 day one I just did, I take nothing electronic with me. In most cases I have my phone, but even if it has reception, I just turn it off. No computers or other devices except something to play music.

On extended trips, I do take a computer as I do have to take a bit of time to deal with things, but that is usually only for a few minutes a day tops.

Back to the sleep patterns. I typically will hit the sack between 11-12PM (though sometimes a bit later) after sitting around the campfire playing guitar, telling and listening to stories, and having a drink or two. The first morning, I typically am up by 5AM, BUT the second, third and so on nights I actually sleep for 7 hours or so, something that is never done at home. I think it is my body just falling in to a more normal for me sleep pattern, and I feel great for it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote