Camping in Canada? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-18-2007, 05:12 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
I got a very close search when I used a very small port into Canada.
It was pleasant but took about 20-30 minutes.
I think the young guy was practicing on me because just he had the time. I didn't fit the terrorist profile-old, white with wife and nice little dog.
Wonderful county and sweet people.
No, I don't carry no stinkin' gun either.
If that small port was near Skagway, I think they are in some kind of competition for the most handguns confiscated from Yanks Getting Off the Ferry or something...

Old 07-18-2007, 07:35 PM   #16

Trailer: 17 ft Escape
The biggest issue for us going into the US last month was dog food. No dog food, no beef treats and no rawhide chews unless you could prove it was packaged in the US and it was still unopened. Poor dogs had to start their vacation wondering why we hadn't packed for them!

jen

Old 07-20-2007, 02:24 PM   #17

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
The biggest issue for us going into the US last month was dog food. No dog food, no beef treats and no rawhide chews unless you could prove it was packaged in the US and it was still unopened. Poor dogs had to start their vacation wondering why we hadn't packed for them!

jen
I have gone in and out of canada three times but always through the state of Washington. SO here is my experience in that state:
1- interstate 5 north of bellingham WA is a big traffic mess going both ways
2- highway 9 twenty miles east is more commercial vehicles but fewer vacationers and is much less hassle than #1
3- Oriville WA on highway 97 was nice and friendly and uncrowded early in the AM... maybe a three min wait both ways.

Ron
Old 08-14-2007, 06:59 PM   #18

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
The biggest issue for us going into the US last month was dog food. No dog food, no beef treats and no rawhide chews unless you could prove it was packaged in the US and it was still unopened.
That was the key for us as well for pet food. Nothing made from ruminate animals and unopened. They are worried about BSE or Mad Cow disease. The rules keep changing all the time though. Better to be safe than sorry. Below is a link to the basics on border crossing rules between Ontario and New York. A pretty good primer, and it has links to the US Customs site.

http://www.lockport-ny.com/Tourism/customs.htm
Old 08-14-2007, 08:01 PM   #19

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
....we had to return to Canada with an unopened 50lb bag of unopened (Canadian) 'speciality' dog food because the man in the little booth said .....it might contain beef vitamins and besides Canadian meet processors process "DRY DOG FOOD OFF THE SAME TABLES!!!!!!!!!!!"

YEAH , right sargent...... can I go now

...like I' taking enough dog food to feed a WHOLE kennel of dogs, not just my one 80lb Shephard and we ARE staying @ our r/v trailer for a MONTH.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:26 PM   #20

Name: Benita
Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Georgia
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
Since 911 Canada has become more restrictive about who may legally enter the country. IF you have a criminal record you can be barred from entry. This includes some misdemeanors, especially DUI or DWI offenses an assault charges of any kind. If you know that running a criminal check on you will pull up a record you may want to check with the Canadian government regarding your eligibility for entry.

My gf found out the hard way that she could not enter legally due to her record which was the result of a youthful fight with her roommate.

US State Dept. Canadian Consular sheet
Old 08-14-2007, 09:40 PM   #21

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
Do your research before leaving on your trip. Call Canadian Customs, and there should be someone there willing to help out with the information you are looking for. Also, call US Customs, and ask them what will be required on your return. I assure you that the agents on both sides of the border can be friendly enough, but are inclined to play strictly by the rules.

Border crossing requirements are changing continually, so a call to the appropriate authority is usually a good idea.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:24 AM   #22

Georgia
More on Border Crossing of persons - not stuff:
San Francisco Chronicle article on how new technology has increased the number of those with minor offenses being refused entry to Canada

The good news is you can apply for entry as a rehabilitated person: Canadian Consulate's Webpage
Old 08-15-2007, 02:29 PM   #23

Quote:
Since 911 Canada has become more restrictive about who may legally enter the country. IF you have a criminal record you can be barred from entry. This includes some misdemeanors, especially DUI or DWI offenses an assault charges of any kind. If you know that running a criminal check on you will pull up a record you may want to check with the Canadian government regarding your eligibility for entry.
Not sure about misdemeanors per se, but well before 9/11, it was illegal to enter Canada if you had been convicted of an offense that *in Canada* would be considered a felony, regardless of how the original jurisdiction classified the crime. DWI and marijuana fall in that category.

However, with the advent of computers and digital data bases, it has become easier to remotely access information that was previously on paper.

The records in the US than the Canadians access may not always be accurate because an RV friend's husband was arrested on a friday and the charges were totally dropped on monday but many years later they showed up as current at a border spot check.

BTW, the reverse is also true -- Felonious aliens, Canadians included, aren't eligible to enter the US. I don't know if the 'It's a felony here, regardless of what it is elsewhere, rule applies'.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:19 PM   #24

Georgia
I don't know why this disturbs me so much. It doesn't apply to me personally. The first I heard about Canada denying entry was when they denied Winnie Mandela's request to enter to receive a humanitarian award. I'm pretty sure that also means Nelson can't visit if he wants to. But then, they might classify him as "Rehabilitated."
Old 08-15-2007, 05:09 PM   #25

It's not just Canada and the US; I believe a lot of European countries have the same kinds of alien entry laws. After all, who really wants to let criminals into their country as a general rule? And in every case, it's THEIR country, so they get to set the rules. The Canadians are pussycats compared to the Mexicans when it comes to illegal firearms.

I don't know what the backstory is on Mandela, but kidnapping, murder, fraud and theft aren't light-weight convictions...

Interestingly, in the case of my friend, they had tickets to some kind of big-deal sporting event in Montreal, so they were able to purchase a 200CDN waiver for a short, specific entry. Even more interesting is that they had just come out of the Maritimes from a several-week jaunt in their RV. It was just some kind of spot-check that caused the erroneous record to be pulled up.

US Entry/Deportation

Snoop and Down Under

CA Entry Denied -- Risk to Re-offend

Canadian Denied US Entry
Old 08-15-2007, 05:26 PM   #26

Georgia
Quote:
It's not just Canada and the US; I believe a lot of European countries have the same kinds of alien entry laws. After all, who really wants to let criminals into their country as a general rule? And in every case, it's THEIR country, so they get to set the rules. The Canadians are pussycats compared to the Mexicans when it comes to illegal firearms.
I don't question the Canadian right to set their own standards. It's a case of what my intellect says is reasonable is not jibing with my gut reaction.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:14 PM   #27

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
I have found border guards in both directions to be generally reasonable, and I have never had a problem... either way. I have not found one direction to be much different from the other - the U.S agents tend to have a more serious style (almost grim...) but in the end they don't ask much more or less than ours.

I travel with a passport; my wife does not, and gets more questions. Draw your own conclusion...

In the end, the Canada/U.S. border is quite open, in both directions, and especially for ground traffic like us in our trailers (as opposed to airline passengers). Specific stuff (like beef due to the BSE scare) can trip up a traveler, but as others have mentioned there's lots of information available. I called the local US customs people once to check on a specific item I was going to carry into the U.S. (I'm nowhere near a border but they work here at the Edmonton airport to pre-clear travelers flying to U.S. destinations) and they courteously and effectively answered my questions.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:22 PM   #28

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
Quote:
I don't question the Canadian right to set their own standards. It's a case of what my intellect says is reasonable is not jibing with my gut reaction.
I agree totally! In Canada, posession is a wagging of the finger offence that will get you a cavity search if you try to enter the US.

Different cultures, different ideas.