Camping in Mexico - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-20-2015, 10:52 AM   #41

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
A low crime rate means nothing if you are the victim of the crime.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:43 AM   #42

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
A low crime rate means nothing if you are the victim of the crime.
Exactly - which is why one always needs to be aware of your surroundings regardless of where you travel.

This discussion reminded me a bit of segment of the Daily Show were they took a comic approach to highlighting the problems with stereotyping a country when we have very little first hand experience living or traveling in it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:52 AM   #43

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Chances

I still don't see how having a vehicle stolen every X seconds transforms into having a greater chance of auto theft, especially when there are no numbers to compare with that in other countries.

Chevrolet Suburban's have long been, and remain today, the weapon of choice for transportation for the all the "Bad Guys" in Mexico. They prefer a Black Suburban with limousine blacked out windows, it's all a part of the fear factor that the narcos and their peers use in Mexico.

In my earlier post I mentioned exactly that, a Suburban arrived to pick up the crash victims after the local police were paid off to leave the scene of an accident. Suburban's aren't stolen for Juan the factory worker to take the family on vacation, they have their own market. And that market must still exit: (Suburban ad from GM-deMexico)
Suburban 2015 | Camioneta SUV Familiar | Chevrolet México

And that MSRP shown in Mexico is about $48,600 USD, well above factory workers salary

Auto theft, and illegal importing of vehicles from the US into Mexico, is so bad that you can't even drive many Mexican registered vehicle from the Frontier zone into lower Mexico without a permit, and in many cases, a importing a U.S. vehicle into the Frontier Zone doesn't always mean that it can ever be driven or sold into the lower part of the country.

Moreover, it's almost impossible to import used late model US vehicles (less than 8 or more than 9 years old can't be imported). Meaning that tourist vehicles become a desirable source of certain vehicles: Here's a link for that:
Importing & Driving a Car in Mexico | Surviving Yucatan

And that's not just news from the television or internet, that's reports from many friends, neighbors and co-workers with family just 120 miles+ south on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
All good numbers Bob but it does not change the simple fact I was attempting to make & that there is a higher chance of having your car stolen in the US than Mexico. So I don't get all the theatric's by some in suggesting otherwise.

Not to mention the desire by locals to have a Chevy Suburban has somewhat diminished in recent years due to the large number of folks who work in the auto manufacturing biz and get the employee pricing.... lets just say the street scape of many villages in Mexico over the past 5 years has changed greatly. Suspect most Mexican's would keep their brand new Jetta over a old Suburban any day ;-)

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:35 PM   #44

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Five years ago I accompanied my oldest son, his Mexican wife and their 3 boys to visit her family in Michoacán.
We drove down in my sons Suburban he keeps for the long Christmas drive.
It was one of the best Christmases I have ever had.
Her parent were very gracious and fed us so well I gained about 10 pounds.
Everyone I met was gracious and glad to have us visit.
Our 2 families became one happy family.

Angelique's dad, myself and our grandsons all went bass fishing.
I would make the 3000 mile drive just for the great Bass fishing.

Now her parents will NOT ALLOW her to visit any longer because of the violence all over Mexico.
It's just to dangerous!!

I thought you all might like the opinion of a family that lives in Mexico.

John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:39 PM   #45

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I still don't see how having a vehicle stolen every X seconds transforms into having a greater chance of auto theft, especially when there are no numbers to compare with that in other countries.

Chevrolet Suburban's have long been, and remain today, the weapon of choice for transportation for the all the "Bad Guys" in Mexico. They prefer a Black Suburban with limousine blacked out windows, it's all a part of the fear factor that the narcos and their peers use in Mexico.

In my earlier post I mentioned exactly that, a Suburban arrived to pick up the crash victims after the local police were paid off to leave the scene of an accident. Suburban's aren't stolen for Juan the factory worker to take the family on vacation, they have their own market. And that market must still exit: (Suburban ad from GM-deMexico)
Suburban 2015 | Camioneta SUV Familiar | Chevrolet México

And that MSRP shown in Mexico is about $48,600 USD, well above factory workers salary

Auto theft, and illegal importing of vehicles from the US into Mexico, is so bad that you can't even drive many Mexican registered vehicle from the Frontier zone into lower Mexico without a permit, and in many cases, a importing a U.S. vehicle into the Frontier Zone doesn't always mean that it can ever be driven or sold into the lower part of the country.

Moreover, it's almost impossible to import used late model US vehicles (less than 8 or more than 9 years old can't be imported). Meaning that tourist vehicles become a desirable source of certain vehicles: Here's a link for that:
Importing & Driving a Car in Mexico | Surviving Yucatan

And that's not just news from the television or internet, that's reports from many friends, neighbors and co-workers with family just 120 miles+ south on me.
The big difference between Mexico and the states is if you have your car stolen in Mexico you stand a much better chance of being murdered.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:36 PM   #46

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
My brother and sis in law are currently touring Baja in their little old RV. No issues so far. They are down by LaPaz now and having a ball.
So far they've missed a tree falling on their daughters new truck in their driveway ( right where they usually park) and another tree coming down and taking out the power for three days. Meanwhile they have been seeing the sights, meeting nice people and enjoying nice weather.

The Baja is much different than the mainland. Although you still don't dare drive at night.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote