Camping in OBX going up - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-19-2014, 09:42 AM   #1
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Camping in OBX going up

The NPS is looking for public comment on increasing the campground fees in the outer banks campgrounds. Raz

Beach Access and Park Issues
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:49 AM   #2

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
It makes sense for them to be more inline with the remainder of the Park Service. I'm actually surprised they haven't made this move sooner. Don't know if it will make for a better experience, but the extra funds would be useful to maintaining the sites. And, we've surely paid more for less in our particular camping experiences.

Josie

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:17 AM   #3

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
If the increase was for hot water showers, improved beach access, raising lot levels to prevent flooding, and a longer open season I would be for it.

Cape Point is self-register, so they don't even have to pay a ranger to sit around all day. I don't know if any of the campgrounds fill up except maybe on the 4th of July. I would go more often in the summer if electricity was available, but I wonder if adding electricity might be a curse instead of a benefit. The primitiveness of the campgrounds adds to the experience.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:57 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
If the increase was for hot water showers, improved beach access, raising lot levels to prevent flooding, and a longer open season I would be for it.

Cape Point is self-register, so they don't even have to pay a ranger to sit around all day. I don't know if any of the campgrounds fill up except maybe on the 4th of July. I would go more often in the summer if electricity was available, but I wonder if adding electricity might be a curse instead of a benefit. The primitiveness of the campgrounds adds to the experience.
The State / County Park campgrounds in Wisconsin are usually full 7 days a week in the summer due to our short camping season .In January my daughter and I looked for 2 sites that were side by side for a 3 day summer camp out and there was only 2 dates available. (Due to the reservation system) We have also found all the walk in sites full during the Summer. I know in my area the Park Rangers are not just sitting around .
We would rather camp at parks that have adult supervision (Read Rangers) Their presence seems to prevent a multitude of issues .They serve a usefully purpose IMHO .Not all increases in camping fees go directly to the park and often go to the governing units general fund . Plus funding to the parks is often allocated to the individual park and are not equally distributed.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:00 PM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Seems fair to moi but, like many on this site we have senior passes and can appreciate the free admissions and reduced rates that we are allowed.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:11 PM   #6

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The State / County Park campgrounds in Wisconsin are usually full 7 days a week in the summer due to our short camping season .In January my daughter and I looked for 2 sites that were side by side for a 3 day summer camp out and there was only 2 dates available. (Due to the reservation system) We have also found all the walk in sites full during the Summer. I know in my area the Park Rangers are not just sitting around .
We would rather camp at parks that have adult supervision (Read Rangers) Their presence seems to prevent a multitude of issues .They serve a usefully purpose IMHO .Not all increases in camping fees go directly to the park and often go to the governing units general fund . Plus funding to the parks is often allocated to the individual park and are not equally distributed.
I think you misunderstood my points. There are 4 NPS campgrounds on the Outer Banks. Three have a ranger station where you sign in and one has an unmanned ranger station where you sign yourself in. I was just pointing out that for some reason, the NPS determined one campground was OK with self sign-in and the other 3 have a ranger in the stations just to do sign-ins and answer questions. All 4 campgrounds have people that cut the grass, clean the restrooms, patrol, etc.

Ocracoke is the only 1 of the 4 that you can reserve a campsite at. I have visited all 4 campgrounds this year and none were close to full. I talked to rangers at a couple and they said that the only time they are full or close to full is on holiday weekends.

There used to be 5 campgrounds and they closed one and reduced the season at the others. Cape Point closed after Memorial Day weekend while the others stay open into October. October and November are my favorite times to visit and the campgrounds are closed.

The NPS has been taken over by hyper-environmentalists that have done much damage to the local economy and greatly restricted beach access. I don't see the increase in rates to be in any way intended to provide a better experience to campers, but as an administrative budget increase. Hope I'm wrong.
Old 11-19-2014, 02:47 PM   #7

In Defense of so-called Hyper-Environmentalists

The by 1972 the Yosemite Valley was almost destroyed by over use from excessive camping sites, excessive commercial development and just plain too many visitors that had to drive from point to point. By reducing visitor population via fewer camp sites and commercial accommodations, and severely limiting vehicle use, the valley has finally started to recover and may still be there for future generations. Had the situation that existed at the time of the first Yosemite Master Plan in 1972 been allowed to continue, the valley would have become listed as an EPA super-fund toxic waste clean up site by today.

I haven't camped on the outer banks in a number of years, but I do remember them as being very crowded when I lived in Virginia the late 1980's, and feared then that the same thing that almost destroyed the Yosemite Valley would soon be the case there.

And, in my very humble option, I don't think that natural resources should be exploited or compromised in the interest of supporting a local economy.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:56 PM   #8

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Generally the parks have moved to being fee supported rather than general fund supported. This being a good or a bad approach is a discussion that would probably get into verboten political views pretty quickly, so lets just leave it at it is that way.

The general maintenance costs (labor, material, fuel) are not generally going down in price so fee increases are inevitable.

Considering that the parks in question are often only lightly used it would seem less likely that they are "paying their own way" even with reduced amenities, roads, sites and such that have to be maintained.

A lot of us can remember $2 campground fees, I can recall when staying at a KOA was cheap enough myself and a couple of buddies could afford a weekend from paper route and lawn mowing money. Last one I stayed at was $48
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:01 PM   #9
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Pardon the interruption, but posting here doesn't count as public comment on the issue. I think this was brought to our attention in case anyone wants to tell the NPS what they think about it.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:22 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
By definition it would seem difficult to defend "Hyper Environmentalism"

Moderation and good stewardship might find more reasonable support,but then the defense of, and perhaps the true age of reason seems to have died in the sixties.

I'm with Bob though, at least as far as good stewardship and full access takes us.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:08 PM   #11

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
All kinds of museums and attractions have a limit on how many tickets they sell, even if they might have standing room for ten times as many. Because it is outdoors, does not mean the access should be unlimited. Even Yosemite must have an off-season time when it is reasonable to visit. I agree with reasonable limits on use.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:49 AM   #12
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post

I haven't camped on the outer banks in a number of years, but I do remember them as being very crowded when I lived in Virginia the late 1980's, and feared then that the same thing that almost destroyed the Yosemite Valley would soon be the case there.

I'm not sure where you camped but it wasn't the National Seashore. Perhaps you were in Kitty Hawk, or Nags Head?

As Huck said, currently only Ocracoke campground takes reservations. The park service charges an additional $3/night to all campers whether they used the reservation system or not. Reserve America runs the system. If you make a reservation you cannot reserve a specific site but are guarantied a place to camp. This may change. The campground has never been anywhere near full when I've been there. I was told the only time it fills is on Memorial Day, 4 th of July, and Labor day weekends. Other times you can save the reservation fees.
Attached Thumbnails
image-2545888235.jpg  
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:27 AM   #13

We camped somewhere in the area of the Wright Brothers Monument and, as that was mentioned in the NPS link, it seemed that it was part of the same area, maybe not, but the camping area was very crowded in late June as I recall.

Again, that was a number of years back when we were living in Northern VA. I did see a lot of open beaches as shown in the pics, but that wasn't anywhere near where you could stay for the night. It's sorta like comparing Yosemite Valley with the High Country in 1972, that was like two different planets.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:42 AM   #14

Name: Butch
Trailer: Casita
Maryland
Im willing to pay more to camp at OBX, we've been going to Hatteras Island since '74 however, the vehicle beach access fee is hard to defend, $50 per vehicle for a week , fewer points of entry equals longer distances on aired down tires and more vehicles in a smaller area. Still my favorite beach tho.
bookbinder52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:45 AM   #15

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookbinder52 View Post
Im willing to pay more to camp at OBX, we've been going to Hatteras Island since '74 however, the vehicle beach access fee is hard to defend, $50 per vehicle for a week , fewer points of entry equals longer distances on aired down tires and more vehicles in a smaller area. Still my favorite beach tho.
Plus salt water fishing license.