Camping in SoCal and Az? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-31-2007, 06:25 PM   #1

Trailer: Summit Weekend Refuge
My wife and I are about to set sail in a couple of weeks down south (south of Oregon, that is). I am going to attend a woodworking show in Ontario, California. Then we are going to travel over to Phoenix, Arizona to take in a couple of spring training games, where we will meet up with our daughter and our new son in law.

Sounds like fun, but this will be our first trip on the road with a TT since the mid nineteen-sixties! Does anyone have any recommendations about camping in these two areas?

And any advice to this old-timer about what not to do?

Thanks in advance.

Art
Art Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:01 PM   #2

Trailer: 17 ft Oliver Legacy Elite
Send a message via Yahoo to Chuck-H
Wow Art, you sound like wife and I are our 1st trip with our Casita!
If your're looking for speed, I-5 but BOOOOORRRING
Coming CA 101 is much slower but diverse scenery is incredible, Redwoods, San Franfreako, Monterey, Morro Bay, Pismo Beach, Santa Barbara, Ventura, Malibu, etc.
We're near Pismo Beach, so if you're coming this way, PM me and we'll help.
Manchester Beach KOA and State Park is one I remember closer to OR border.
Would you prefer to boondock, state parks, resorts?
chuck h.
Chuck-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:21 PM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Coming down California there are several choices depending on how much ‘fun’ you want to have along the way.

The three main corridors North & South through California:
<blockquote>1. US 101 - generally near the pacific coast (Hwy 1 comes in here and there)
2. I-5 - Down the central valley
3. US 99 - along the foot hills of the High Sierras.</blockquote>
From Central California there are two main ways to get to Ontario, California.
<blockquote>1. Down through the LA area. Not my favorite way because of the traffic and combat driving on those freeways, although I grew up there.

2. Across the High Desert and down to San Bernadino, California. From Bakersfield, take HWY 58 to Kramer Junction and turn south to San Bernadino. From San Bernadino turn left (east) to Ontario, CA.</blockquote>
There are lots of very interesting fun places along all three routes.

Let us know what your interest are and we can try to fill in the blanks.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Just remember that in California you can only go 55 pulling a trailer. And a nice motorcycle guy said it didn't matter how small the trailer was, a ticket is a ticket. Now Arizona everything is 70 or 75 and Oregon is plain old 65, but around Redding California, 55 is tops.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:54 AM   #5

Trailer: Hunter 1 / Chevy Blazer
Registry
True, so very true. I have to go 55.
Quote:
Just remember that in California you can only go 55 pulling a trailer. And a nice motorcycle guy said it didn't matter how small the trailer was, a ticket is a ticket. Now Arizona everything is 70 or 75 and Oregon is plain old 65, but around Redding California, 55 is tops.
Linda of San Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:01 AM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Hi Art

Ontario is in my neck of the woods (I go there everyday too!) Will your woodworking thing be at the convention center? If so, inquire about using the parking lot to dry camp in. They seem to allow it.

What did you have in mind for sites? Will Forest service do? Or do you need full hook ups?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:04 AM   #7

Registry
oh, and while traveling, don't forget the 395, it runs to the EAST of the sierras and can be quite spectacular.

Watch the weather tho, it can snow frequently on the highest pass, but they usally have the hiway cleared pretty well.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:37 AM   #8

Thanks so much folks.

We are planning to go down 101, stopping by to take the Hearst Castle tour which we never did when we lived in San Jose (close to thirty years, but you don't see the things close to you, do you?). Then over to Ontario for the woodworking show. Gina, thanks for the suggestion. Yes, it's at the Conventional Center. (Uh, later edit, make that "convention"! It might very unconventional, hunh?) I'll check on the parking lot. I'm not sure of the "lay of the land." It would be a lot nicer if there were a park of some sort with a few trees, though anything will do for just a couple of days. Don't mind commuting in for the show, though---and Forest Service would be great!

Then on to Spring Training. Can't wait for the "crack of the bat." Does anyone know about places to park in the Phoenix area---specifically in the vicinity of Scottsdale?

Also, we have been thinking about Anza Borrega, maybe Yuma (for the museums), before going to Phoenix. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Then back to Oregon, perhaps through Death Valley.

Thanks again, folks.

Art
Old 02-01-2007, 11:17 AM   #9

Registry
Hi Art,

The downfall of the Convention center parking lot is that right across the street is Ontario International Airport :-( Can get a bit noisy!

Try here Applewhite Campground in Lytle Creek for a reasonably close Forest Service campground. No hook ups, but the hosts keep the place clean and there are flush toilets. It's trucked back in a canyon but is easy access off Lytle Creek Road, off the 15 near Devore. I'd guestimate it's 15 miles from the convention center. They do not reserve this time of year, but I have never had a problem getting a good spot.

Down the road from there is a private campground Bonita Ranch (They used to have a website, can't find it now!) it's sort of a mish mash of old mobile home park and campground, but it has hook ups and is in a very green area. It may be soggy this time of year.

A bit farther away is the worlds most expensive RV park, but it is VERY nice and is in a PARK, not a cement slab. In an upscale area in a wetlands preserve, just off the 71 freeway, which takes you up to Ontario, is Canyon Rv Park. The downfalls of this place are it's right on a freeway and has a constant "whir" of traffic, and the traffic getting to and from Ontario on the 91 can be a bit frustrating at times.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:15 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / Infiniti SUV
Hey Gina (and Art)
Any scoop on Frank Bonelli Regional Park? It's at what used to be called Puddingstone Lake near San Dimas and is an L.A. County park. We have friends from here who always camp there in their 5th wheel when they go to southern California---they think it's a great RV spot. They commute around that region.

I haven't been to Puddingstone in the last 60 years, but I was there when I was growing up in Upland and Ontario. When we go to Ontario we don't need an RV park; we simply camp in the driveway of my best friend for too many years. And, Art, while you're in Ontario, try to go to one of Vince's spaghetti joints. And I mean joint! Old style, and it is old---70 years in their family?
George Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 05:44 PM   #11

Gina,

Applewhite looks like the place for us! Thanks.

George,

We will see what kind of comments folks have on Frank Bonelli, and will certainly have to try Vince's. Any "joint" that gets a recommendation like yours is my kinda' joint! As long as they serve beer with their spaghetti!

Best,

Art
Old 02-01-2007, 06:21 PM   #12

Registry
Bonelli is a typical RV park, on a hill.

I went thru there the other day, and it does not seem anything special, a bit crowded with full timers and not all that spectacular..

but, I don't like rv parks in general, so take my opinion as just that.. an opinion
Old 02-03-2007, 12:41 PM   #13

Trailer: 17 ft Oliver Legacy Elite
Send a message via Yahoo to Chuck-H
Talking

Hi Art,
If you're going home via Death Valley, CA 395 is a beautiful way back that we've taken twice and you can take it up into OR if you want. Lotsa' good campgrounds, both public and commercial.
Have a great trip, chuck h.
Chuck-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 01:38 AM   #14

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982
Quote:
Then on to Spring Training. Can't wait for the "crack of the bat." Does anyone know about places to park in the Phoenix area---specifically in the vicinity of Scottsdale?

Also, we have been thinking about Anza Borrega, maybe Yuma (for the museums), before going to Phoenix. Does anyone have any suggestions?
McDowell Mountain Park, just east of Scottsdale, near Fountain Hills.

It's on all the local maps, easy to get to, has great sites with power and water. Lots of mountain biking and hiking trails. Close enough to grocery stores, library, restaurants, but far enough to be very quiet at night. No traffic noise.

You'll need reservations for Anza Borrego's developed campgrounds if you go in February or March, especially if it's a good year for wild flowers. It's a state park and it's huge. You can boondock throughout the park without reservations, but you'll need high clearance and 4WD recommended (because of the sand). You can get supplies in Borrego Springs. If you go, don't miss the visitor's center at Park Headquarters.
John Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:52 AM   #15

Registry
Art, please let us know when you will be at Lytle Creek and I will try to swing down!
Old 02-04-2007, 09:02 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi there - sounds like a fun trip. Here's what we can contribute:

On I-10 as you head east to Phoenix - Augie's Quail Trail RV Park. This is a Passport America park, fairly new - owners Augie & Donna are the best.

In Phoenix area, was going to mention Lake Pleasant County Park (Maricopa Cty?) but John's suggestion sounds better. Lake Pleasant is nice, tho.

Death Valley: Furnace Creek is a USFS park (Golden Age Passport - YES!) is a good one.

Anza Borrego: Don't miss that Visitor's Center - it is neat. Boondocking there is fun, but recommend Mon-Thurs ... by Friday afternoon, the 4-wheelers are zoomin'.

Safe travels & enjoy your workshop. Take care, L 'n D
Old 02-04-2007, 09:17 PM   #17

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Another RV Park, I have friends at, is GOOD LIFE RV in Mesa, AZ. It too is a Passport America park and just pass Phoenix, AZ.

They like it so much they bought one of the Park models there. Lots of snow birds stay there.

Good Luck.

I just double checked and they have Restrictions.
<blockquote>Restrictions & Notes:

Max Stay: 7 days
Reservations: Not Accepted
Payment: Cash, Master Card, Visa
Restrictions:

Discount is not allowed Jan 1- Mar 31
Notes: Discount is for 2 adults. Putting green on site.</blockquote>
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote