camping locations - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #15
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
Ya got me there. As recently as last season I went into a Forest Service Office in WA state and asked for locations of Red Post camps and got a whole list. Now I find that they are calling them "Yellow Post" campsites. Admittedly I haven't Googled the term before now. Anyway, go with "Yellow Post" and you will find more listings, but don't be surprised when you get to a site and find that the marker post is red...

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #16
Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
Don't forget the COE Campgrounds as well: - Corps Lakes Gateway.

Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #17
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
My suggestion is do an internet search for the type of place you would like, RV resort, partial services campground (electric, water), non-electric, minimal services. Go camp and start talking to other campers about place close to where you would like to go next. We've found that other campers is one the best sources of information.
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #18
Name: Ian or Vicki
Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Explorer Sport Trac
British Columbia
Thanks all for your input. Will bookmarks some of the websites and see where they takes us. Thanks again to FGRV, it's the best.
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #19
Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Here's a link to the Fed site. It'll lead on to other places. I've never heard of any post colors.

US Forest Service - Caring for the land and serving people.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:54 PM   #20
Name: Laura
Trailer: Teardrop American Outbacker
I've really liked using the Allstays smartphone app. Here's a link: Allstays Camp and RV

You can filter the list so you can see campsites that have specific amenities or just BLM sites, etc. It has really helped me when I'm planning a trip.
Read more about camping and travel on Starling Travel:
lauramoncur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #21
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face "Red Post" & "Yellow Post" = Dispersed Campsites

Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
As recently as last season I went into a Forest Service Office in WA state and asked for locations of Red Post camps and got a whole list. Now I find that they are calling them "Yellow Post" campsites.
Undeveloped Camping

The Forest Service provides a variety of camping opportunities outside of the developed campsites. These undeveloped sites provide more solitude and more of the "roughing it" experience. There eighteen Yellow Post Sites scattered around the Big Bear valley. They are located in remote areas, on back roads and trails, usually out of sight of other campers and vehicle traffic. Consequently, not all are accessible with the family sedan.

Most sites have picnic tables, fire rings and parking. Campfires are allowed all year as long as the fire remains within the fire ring. There are no water or toilet facilities. There is no fee to camp in Yellow Post Sites, but each vehicle must have an Adventure Pass. All of these sites are on a strictly "First Come, First Served" basis. To occupy a space, you need to register at the Big Bear Discovery Center on the day you plan to camp, and pick up a California Campfire Permit, which is free. Bring your own firewood.

A.K.A. (Also Known As) Represents camping in undeveloped areas throughout a National Forest. These areas can be accessed by various means of transportation, i.e., automobile, hiking, horse, bike, canoe, etc. Dispersed camping is usually very primitive - no fresh water, sanitation or refuse facilities - pack it in, pack it out. Check with the Supervisor or Ranger District Office for rules that may apply to dispersed campin

Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote