camping locations - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #21

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face "Red Post" & "Yellow Post" = Dispersed Campsites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
As recently as last season I went into a Forest Service Office in WA state and asked for locations of Red Post camps and got a whole list. Now I find that they are calling them "Yellow Post" campsites.
Undeveloped Camping

The Forest Service provides a variety of camping opportunities outside of the developed campsites. These undeveloped sites provide more solitude and more of the "roughing it" experience. There eighteen Yellow Post Sites scattered around the Big Bear valley. They are located in remote areas, on back roads and trails, usually out of sight of other campers and vehicle traffic. Consequently, not all are accessible with the family sedan.

Most sites have picnic tables, fire rings and parking. Campfires are allowed all year as long as the fire remains within the fire ring. There are no water or toilet facilities. There is no fee to camp in Yellow Post Sites, but each vehicle must have an Adventure Pass. All of these sites are on a strictly "First Come, First Served" basis. To occupy a space, you need to register at the Big Bear Discovery Center on the day you plan to camp, and pick up a California Campfire Permit, which is free. Bring your own firewood.

A.K.A. (Also Known As) Represents camping in undeveloped areas throughout a National Forest. These areas can be accessed by various means of transportation, i.e., automobile, hiking, horse, bike, canoe, etc. Dispersed camping is usually very primitive - no fresh water, sanitation or refuse facilities - pack it in, pack it out. Check with the Supervisor or Ranger District Office for rules that may apply to dispersed campin