camping locations - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
camping locations

Can anyone help an ignorant Canadian? I am looking for a book or a map that shows BLM and forest service Campsites, particularly in the western U.S. If there is such a publication, where would I go looking for it.
thanks,
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:29 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I have Google Earth with all the listed BLM sites on it, I can not remember how I did it but it is possible to have that.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Trillium 13 ft (California-made)
Registry
Hi Ian,

I like this Forest Camping website for US National Forest Service campgrounds. The Army Corps of Engineers' campgrounds are wicked nice, too, but harder to track down.

Happy trails!
Maggie
Old 04-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Ian, You can also google the area your thinking of visiting and should be able to find info on BLM and Forest Service campgrounds.

You can go by the county, town and even the State. Just google, (Example) Camping Poudre Canyon Colorado and this is what you get. http://http://www.forestcamping.com/...n/roosinfo.htm

Here's another one for CO but there are tons more http://http://www.rv-camping.org/Colorado.html

I have bought several books (actually just gave them away to my Dh's Hospice nurse) and honestly I have found that local publication offered by the Visitor Center's most times tend to have better info. Especially in the Welcome Center's in Oregon. As many states as I have rv'ed thru they seem to have the best. But most visitor centeres have good info on camprounds in the surrounding area.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:38 PM   #5

Name: Brian
Trailer: 1975 boler
Manitoba
What does BLM mean and what are forest service campsites?
bkboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
BLM= Bureau of Land Management. Forest Service Campsites are in Nat'l/State Forests.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:48 PM   #7

Manitoba
So for example, in Manitoba we have Riding Mountain National Park, that would have forest service campsites? Is there a difference between those sites and other sites. Sorry, I go camping quite a bit and I've never heard those terms before. Not even sure what the BLM does.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:30 PM   #8

Trailer: 1980 Dolphin 14 ft
Registry
State tourism booths in major centers, and the rest centers along most interstates have been handy resources for me in times past. Don't be afraid to ask the volunteers and other travellers for suggestions too.
Owen Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkboler View Post
So for example, in Manitoba we have Riding Mountain National Park, that would have forest service campsites? Is there a difference between those sites and other sites. Sorry, I go camping quite a bit and I've never heard those terms before. Not even sure what the BLM does.
Actually those are both US designations. In BC we have a lot of crown land and have forestry sites - unserviced sites accessed via logging roads - but not so much in Manitoba. In national parks, like Riding Mountain, you must use designated camp sites.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #10

Manitoba
So I actually did some homework (googling) and I want to say that you're looking for open or back country camping. Am I close?
Old 04-25-2012, 10:10 PM   #11

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Here's someother ways of finding a campground. http://http://www.recreation.gov/rec...to=camping.htm

And a link to what the BLM is all about http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en.html

And a link to the National Forest Service http://www.forestcamping.com/
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:37 AM   #12

Name: Harvey
Trailer: '84 Scamp 13' & 2001 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Arkansas
There are lots of books on camping in both the National Forests & BLM land. Go to Amazon Books, & in the Search block at top, type in National Forest Camping Guides, or BLM Camping, & you'll find literally dozens of volumes. They're usually divided by area, SW, South, etc., except there ain't much BLM land except in the US west. I have NF books for almost the entire USA, & some BLM also. Some of the info (campsites) may be outdated, & some places closed due to cut-backs in funding but some listed as closed may still be open, just not serviced regularly. Some absolutely great back-country camping in the western US.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #13

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I usually locate the local Forest Sevice Office and ask there for the "Red Post" campsites, as well as others they may know of. To be honest, most of the pubs that I have seen that list these venues were aimed at those with "Alternative Lifestyles", that may not want an evening visit from a host or ranger to interrupt their recreational activities. In the past three years I have arrived at, and then driven away from, a few of these more remote sites. But then again, I have enjoyed staying at many as well.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #14

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
"Red post campsites"? That's a new one on me. I googled the phrase and nothing came up. What are these?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #15

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Ya got me there. As recently as last season I went into a Forest Service Office in WA state and asked for locations of Red Post camps and got a whole list. Now I find that they are calling them "Yellow Post" campsites. Admittedly I haven't Googled the term before now. Anyway, go with "Yellow Post" and you will find more listings, but don't be surprised when you get to a site and find that the marker post is red...

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Don't forget the COE Campgrounds as well: www.CorpsLakes.us - Corps Lakes Gateway.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
My suggestion is do an internet search for the type of place you would like, RV resort, partial services campground (electric, water), non-electric, minimal services. Go camp and start talking to other campers about place close to where you would like to go next. We've found that other campers is one the best sources of information.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #18

Thanks all for your input. Will bookmarks some of the websites and see where they takes us. Thanks again to FGRV, it's the best.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:10 PM   #19

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Here's a link to the Fed site. It'll lead on to other places. I've never heard of any post colors.

US Forest Service - Caring for the land and serving people.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:54 PM   #20

Name: Laura
Trailer: Teardrop American Outbacker
Utah
I've really liked using the Allstays smartphone app. Here's a link: Allstays Camp and RV

You can filter the list so you can see campsites that have specific amenities or just BLM sites, etc. It has really helped me when I'm planning a trip.