Camping on Treasure Island., San Francisco Bay. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2016, 10:29 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Camping on Treasure Island., San Francisco Bay.

If any of you live in the Bay area or Central Calif, try to drop in this weekend to the Swap Meet / Sale / Food Trucks / Music / party at the Treasure Island Swap Meet. Because this weekend ( 27th,28th ), Vintage Trailers will be featured. Julie and I will be joining a group of Vintage Trailer enthusiasts camping Saturday and Sunday on the famous island built for the 1939 World's Fair. . Trailers will be open and on display both days, Google Treasure Island Swap Meet for times, Details. I think even fiberglas trailer people appreciate vintage trailers, and now Swap Meet people will be exposed to a fiberglas Scamp as well ! David and Julie, in Fresno and Sonora
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:43 PM   #2

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Oh man! If only we weren't fully booked!
Is this an annual event?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denece View Post
Oh man! If only we weren't fully booked!
Is this an annual event?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
-----------------------------------------------------

Vintage Trailers and Teardrops were invited there to help draw crowds to the swap meet. We have participated in some vintage events because the Scamp is 'vintage looking' or at least attention getting for people not in the fiberglas community. This is our first year there, I think it is the third year for the trailers there. There are lots of vintage events all over; check out " Vintage Camper Trailer Magazine", or their website.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:56 PM   #4

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Our 1989 Lil Bigfoot is not vintage, but we *brazenly* showed up to a local Vintage Trailer event nonetheless. Everyone was nice and our trailer was really well-liked.

Everyone kept saying, "do you *actually* camp in this?"

I had to keep saying, "you mean, as opposed to *pretend* camping?"
Old 08-25-2016, 09:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
Our 1989 Lil Bigfoot is not vintage, but we *brazenly* showed up to a local Vintage Trailer event nonetheless. Everyone was nice and our trailer was really well-liked.

Everyone kept saying, "do you *actually* camp in this?"

I had to keep saying, "you mean, as opposed to *pretend* camping?"
=============================<o>================== =

I love the "Pretend Camping " comment : many vintage shows are more related to vintage car shows. But maybe that is why they are so fun . And like classic car shows , vintage trailer meets also involve classic rock music and period costumes, and good food. A great combination. And many vintage RV people do camp in their trailers as well as show them.
That comment reminds me of one I hear occasionally . A young or shaggy "Hippy" type will approach the 13' Scamp in awe and ask, " Do you LIVE in your Scamp ? ! " I have to reveal that I do have a house also !
David in Fresno and Sonora, CA
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3801.jpg  
Old 08-25-2016, 10:10 PM   #6

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Thanks so much for telling us about the vintage trailer show on Treasure Island! We live nearby AND it's my birthday on Saturday, soooooo, I think I'll get my way when I suggest that my family go. For once, I'll be able to take advantage of a trailer event because I live nearby. Many, many thanks!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:13 AM   #7

Meet ?

I will be nice to meet you ! David and Julie, coming from Sonora.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:36 PM   #8

California
Registry
Unfortunately, it looks as if I won't be able to go to the Treasure Island Swap Meet. This will sound like an odd reason, though. Our adult son will be visiting this weekend with a Guide Dog puppy as he, our son, is a once-in-awhile puppy-sitter. This, the last weekend of the month, is the "Dog Days of Summer" weekend when they invite everyone to bring their dogs. 'Sounds like a perfect scenario, no? Well, no. Because this Guide Dog puppy is so young he cannot be around any other dogs right now! It's too bad we won't be able to go to the Meet but we'll have a GREAT time with our son and puppy!

Do take photos and post them! Have a great time!
Old 08-29-2016, 08:43 PM   #9

California
Registry
Soooo, how was the Treasure Island Swap meet? Do share any photos.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Soooo, how was the Treasure Island Swap meet? Do share any photos.
-------------------------------====================--------------------

The Flea Market on Treasure Island was billed as a " Summer Festival ", and it was wonderful , with antiques, arts, crafts, exotic food trucks, live music and at least two bars. The Tear Drops and Vintage Trailers were there to draw crowds, and they did. Many people had not see Vintage Trailers or a fiberglas trailer like our Scamp. And it was National Dog Day, dogs were invited and vendors sold dog items and accessories, art, clothing (!) and foods and treats. About 35 trailers showed up, half new and old Tear Drops and half Vintages trailers. Plus our Scamp 13'. From our grassy camp site on the low man-made island we could watch ships coming in under the Golden Gate Bridge and sailing under the new Bay Bridge to the Oakland terminal. A Tiki Bar was free for the exclusive use of the trailer people, and we did our best to make it worthwhile. ( There was a Tiki theme to the show.) Let's see if I can post a photo now .) David. Edit : no foto, so try again !
Old 08-30-2016, 03:49 PM   #11

Photos this time ?

Here are a few ; hope they will show. In a couple you might see San Francisco in the background.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1433.jpg   IMG_1521.jpg  

IMG_1528.jpg   IMG_1475.jpg  

Old 08-31-2016, 10:46 PM   #12

California
Registry
Great photos! Looks like great fun! I love the way you "staged" your Scamp. I hope I can go next year!
Old 09-01-2016, 09:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Great photos! Looks like great fun! I love the way you "staged" your Scamp. I hope I can go next year!
===========================<o>==================== ===

Thanks, Gilda, I can't guess what next year will bring. I will stay in contact. David