Camping telescope - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-04-2016, 07:35 PM   #29

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Christine the 10 inch Orion is a really nice telescope, but Raz is right. I just want an entry level telescope. I've never owned a telescope and I'm not taking it on every camping trip. It's for occasional use. Maybe if we really like it we'll buy a better telescope and really dive into this hobby. Thank you so much for the suggestions on the apps. That was a real great help. We've bought apps before only to find out it's not what we wanted.
I'm not worried about the weight of the telescope but, having a small trailer and carrying most our things in our SUV means room is at a premium. It also means things need to be stacked so durability is an issue. I'm not going to put the telescope at the bottom of the stack but, I'll bet the first turn we make a case of water will end up on it! Lol!
I'm still googling some of the terminology. Refractor, Reflector, Newtonian! I didn't even realize some telescopes invert images and make daylight viewing difficult.
It amazes me how versatile FGRV owners are, and when it comes to different subjects, wow! The Edmond Scientific telescope looks nice. I'm going to look into this.
I live in Laredo, TX. It's in South Texas, 150 miles south of San Antonio.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Old 10-05-2016, 04:20 AM   #30
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Marky, one thing you should know. Mirror alignment (collimation) on an Astroscan required sending the scope to the factory. With Edmund's gone, that no longer is an option. And some of these scopes are close to 40 years old. Kind of like buying a used car.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:24 AM   #31

Name: Christine
Trailer: 2011 Casita Spirit DLX
Texas
Marky, they have a couple of nice scopes on Craigslist in San Antonio. One is a Orion SkyQuest 8 inch with a set of eyepieces for $300. The price is not firm. Also, if your ever in SA on a Wednesday evening, the San Antonio Astronomical Association sets up our telescopes on Wednesday evenings(weather permitting) at Ramond Rimkus park off 410. Good luck with your decision
Old 10-05-2016, 03:10 PM   #32

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Marky, one thing you should know. Mirror alignment (collimation) on an Astroscan required sending the scope to the factory. With Edmund's gone, that no longer is an option. And some of these scopes are close to 40 years old. Kind of like buying a used car.
Edmund's is still in business, under another name.

Talked to Scientifics Direct, what used to be Edmund's Scientific, today. They confirmed that they no longer adjust the Astroscans, as the guy who did repairs and adjustments is now in the safety department. They did confirm for me that the updated Astroscan will be coming out in 2017 and appears to be on schedule. It will be manufactured by another company, so until it comes out quality is unknown. We'll have to await reviews

I asked them to give my number to the safety guy so I can find out how to colimate this little scope, in case I find on when I go to estate sales. As a wide field scope, I suspect that the primary mirror is fixed and that colimation is restricted to the diagonal mirror mounted on the optical window.

Here is a link to a 2010 review of the Astroscan:
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/wp-co...can-201007.pdf

Note: Though this article references the updated scope, this was written 3 years before production of the original ceased. This is not referencing the 2017 model.
Old 10-05-2016, 03:49 PM   #33
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
How To Collimate An Astroscan – Gary Seronik

From Wikipedia

Today[edit]
In 2000 Edmund Scientific was purchased by Science Kit and Boreal Laboratories, a western New York based science supply company. Science Kit and Boreal Laboratories is part of a group of companies that provide science supplies to elementary, middle, and high schools as well as colleges and universities. This group falls under the unofficial umbrella "VWR Education" and are owned by VWR International, a multi-national conglomerate with offices in India, China, Europe, Canada and the United States. They are no longer affiliated with Edmund Optics Inc.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:28 PM   #34

Name: Christine
Trailer: 2011 Casita Spirit DLX
Texas
Wow! That seems complicated for a beginner to be collimating an Astro Scan! I saw a Astro Scan used on Cloudy nights classifieds for $140. And that had some clouding on the mirror and it was missing a screw.

Marky,
May I suggest this small scope that is easy to use, easy to collomate, and is light and compact:

Orion StarBlast 6 Astro Reflector Telescope | Orion Telescopes