"Camping" vs. "Traveling" - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-04-2016, 11:40 AM   #15

Name: David
Trailer: Researching
North Carolina
Flash flood grilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
...That being said , age has crept up on me and sleeping on the ground and cooking in the rain has lost some of its charm
That thought made me smile. This past May, group tent camping, a hurricane fueled down pours of rain, causing flash flooding. Three dry streams became instantly active in our camp site.

We took on the rain challenge

Luckily little wind, so rain was straight down. Most of the group stayed under large tarp awnings and the tents managed to stay dry on the inside. We had a good (large) fire going, and it was fun to keep it going through the rain.

Had smoking joe portable Weber going, managed to grill hotdogs for everyone (under a tarp) that's a grilling first for me.

We focused on the fire, and laughed as we kept it going. Fun at the time, and these yearly group tent camps are fun - but once a year is enough.

It's becoming a challenge of endurance (for dad) and fun for the kids. Looking forward to FG trailer camping, and amenities

Old 08-04-2016, 11:46 AM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: casita 17 SD
Pennsylvania
Camping

The last time my wife and I were camping, we had just spent the week in Glacier NP. It rained off and on all week and was in the 40's. We were packing up to leave on June 16 and as we folded up our wet tent it started to sleet along with the rain. My wife looked at me and said "we need a travel trailer, I don't want to do this in a tent anymore". I loved that tent! It was dry, roomy and as ventilated as you choose. We had a 6" air mattress , so comfy! But we spent the next day trying to dry the tent so it wouldn't mold. Later that summer we bought out first Casita, a 13'er.

Old 08-04-2016, 11:50 AM   #17

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
Little house on the highway...

Our amerigo has no running water, no sink or drain, only a basic porta-potty, no stove, no oven, no fridge but only an ice chest. OK, it does have a little ceramic heater and a microwave, and it does have interior lights.

For the purists out there, hey, I think even a flashlight is cheating--even a kerosene lantern is just wrong! You gotta take a torch, man!

Someone at the last gathering called ours a hard-sided tent...so there's that.

Agreed, personal definitions of camping vary considerably.

For us, too, it's the vistas, the waters, the air, the stars, the creatures, our dogs' reactions to new places to piddle and to our campfires...

It's the bugs, the insomnia, the chills, the overheating, the dust, dirt, food not right, smoke, sand in the beds, sunburns, bug bites, boredom, chores, tasks, and misery.

It's the friendly people we meet, the sights, smells, and wonders of the natural world. It's the no TV, no phone, no radio, no newspapers, no internet, just books and card games and walking and breathing deeply.

It's the relaxation, the stress, the memories, the cleaning up, the caretaking of the outdoors and the rig...the long drives, the short drives, the cooperation of setting up and taking down camp, it's the planning, the shopping, cooking different foods in different ways, being more deliberate--living, for a while, very deliberately and basically...

It's all of it.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:05 PM   #18

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington
A rose by any other name....
Why think about other people's limits, expectations and rules of definition on what camping is and what it isn't? Call it whatever you want to but just get out there and do it
Old 08-04-2016, 12:37 PM   #19

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Why think about other people's limits, expectations and rules of definition on what camping is and what it isn't? Call it whatever you want to but just get out there and do it

One of the primary joys of this forum is finding out other people's thoughts and ideas and limits, definitions and expectations, including yours.

Getting out there and doing it is one of the primary joys of camping/travelling/touring/trailering/tenting.

BEST
Old 08-04-2016, 12:38 PM   #20

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Cuz sometimes, I think some of us just think it's PLAIN fun to bicker about something...this is a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Old 08-04-2016, 02:42 PM   #21

Name: Wendy
Trailer: Casita
Minnesota
Eleven months ago I moved my life from a roomy apartment into a 17' Casita and began driving. So far I have never camped, meaning I live inside, I have never built a fire, never cooked food outdoors, and have rarely even put chairs up outside. That's probably because I'm an introvert traveling solo and have never camped on my own with a tent. I don't know how.

But I love my life! I've completely circled the U.S., visited many friends, stayed in national forests, and boondocked at Quartzsite. Someday someone will teach me how to camp, but until then, I'm seeing the country and living in nature. Living on the road is what I call it.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:20 PM   #22

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Lot of folks will stay at a campground using the camper as a base camp for visiting, sightseeing and other totally urban activities.

Others may park in a rustic spot, and take off for backpacking, rock climbing, kayaking or mountain biking using the camper as a base camp for those activities.

Then there are those that tow their camper as a way to stop and camp where the spirit moves them, which may be a Wal-Mart on the way to camping in the driveway at the kids house.

While me I will park the camper, in a campground, and camp as my only activity (most times) and by camping I mostly mean, read, snack, burn stuff in the campfire. I think campfire ash in the food is what makes camp cooking taste better.

Since my version has the most "camp" words I win! Mine is the only official kind of camping. All those other wanna be camping should cease and desist calling what you do camping and come up with own root word that can replace camping. If you fail to do so you will be hearing from my lawyer J. Nobel Daggett.

You Glampers are a whole different subject but you at least have a word for what you do, which since it often involves kicking back and drinking wine are pretty close to what dear wife calls camping.... even if done in the back yard by the fire pit in a lawn chair.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:10 PM   #23

Washington
Registry
Now that is surely True Grit for camping, there, RogerDat!
Old 08-04-2016, 04:12 PM   #24

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyW View Post
Eleven months ago I moved my life from a roomy apartment into a 17' Casita and began driving. So far I have never camped, meaning I live inside, I have never built a fire, never cooked food outdoors, and have rarely even put chairs up outside. That's probably because I'm an introvert traveling solo and have never camped on my own with a tent. I don't know how.

But I love my life! I've completely circled the U.S., visited many friends, stayed in national forests, and boondocked at Quartzsite. Someday someone will teach me how to camp, but until then, I'm seeing the country and living in nature. Living on the road is what I call it.

Queen of the Road! Sounds lovely! May you live long and prosper in the life you have chosen!
Old 08-04-2016, 04:15 PM   #25

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
I got the camper originally as something to live in at agility trials. But quickly got hooked up with a group who camps, and as the years have gone by, have gotten more and more into camping and doing the camping things- like cooking in a camp oven, sitting outside and reading, visiting with people, etc. Going for walks in and around the campground. (Did I say camp often enough?)

I haven't yet tried camping/traveling but it's on the list.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:23 PM   #26

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post

You Glampers are a whole different subject but you at least have a word for what you do, which since it often involves kicking back and drinking wine are pretty close to what dear wife calls camping.... even if done in the back yard by the fire pit in a lawn chair.
I suspect I might fall into the Glamper category these days :lout:lout I do like to use matching chairs, table cloths and lots of solar lights were ever its parked. And yes the fridge will always have a bottle or two of cold wine at the ready.

But having said that I can be found camping down long dirt roads without power and water just as often as you might find me parked in a Provincial park (still without power or water) or parked out in the desert, far more often than you will find me plugged into power & water at a private RV park.

Have in the past done lots of backpacking and kayak camping and yup there is a wee difference in the comforts/dryness of the camping when one uses a trailer. But I actually purchased the trailer so I would not be having to roughing it that much! :lout When your hanging out with friends in a somewhat remote area & your sitting around a campfire trying to convince them that the sound they heard in the woods behind them is a bear coming to clean out their trailer or your lugging water up from a creek to refill your water tank, it still feels a lot like camping to me!

Have used my trailer in a lot of different ways. Hanging out in backcountry or desert locations for a week or more at a time, attending 3 day music festivals, touring the US or Canada six to eight weeks at a time - staying only a few days at a time in one location. Used it recently for two weeks as a mobile hotel room why searching for a new home along a very long stretch of the coast. Even took it to a wedding once - the bride and groom married at a location with a large field beside the reception hall and invited friends and family attending from out of town to bring their trailers - ended up with about 10 trailers and 3 VW vans at that function. It was a real good after party!

Regardless of the location or reason its all camping to me! :lout but I can see where those who prefer the real backcountry roughing it experience might suggest that perhaps it isn't!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:31 PM   #27

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
It's ALL good.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:34 PM   #28

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
Yes, in our trailer we ARE camping. No, it's not always in an "official" campground. No, it's not always with power and water. No, it's not always miles off the beaten path, in the true wilderness....but it IS always fun. And it IS always wonderful NOT to be sleeping on the hard ground in a tent. Been there, done that. Gave the damn tent to the kids.

Camping is a feeling more than anything. And for me, I feel wonderful whenever and wherever I can be in my little trailer, even if it is in my own driveway.

To those who feel that what they do is camping and what others (including me) do, isn't....all I can say is "whatever floats your boat".