"Camping" vs. "Traveling" - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2016, 02:42 PM   #21

Name: Wendy
Trailer: ‘14 Casita 17 SD
Florida
Eleven months ago I moved my life from a roomy apartment into a 17' Casita and began driving. So far I have never camped, meaning I live inside, I have never built a fire, never cooked food outdoors, and have rarely even put chairs up outside. That's probably because I'm an introvert traveling solo and have never camped on my own with a tent. I don't know how.

But I love my life! I've completely circled the U.S., visited many friends, stayed in national forests, and boondocked at Quartzsite. Someday someone will teach me how to camp, but until then, I'm seeing the country and living in nature. Living on the road is what I call it.
WendyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:20 PM   #22

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Lot of folks will stay at a campground using the camper as a base camp for visiting, sightseeing and other totally urban activities.

Others may park in a rustic spot, and take off for backpacking, rock climbing, kayaking or mountain biking using the camper as a base camp for those activities.

Then there are those that tow their camper as a way to stop and camp where the spirit moves them, which may be a Wal-Mart on the way to camping in the driveway at the kids house.

While me I will park the camper, in a campground, and camp as my only activity (most times) and by camping I mostly mean, read, snack, burn stuff in the campfire. I think campfire ash in the food is what makes camp cooking taste better.

Since my version has the most "camp" words I win! Mine is the only official kind of camping. All those other wanna be camping should cease and desist calling what you do camping and come up with own root word that can replace camping. If you fail to do so you will be hearing from my lawyer J. Nobel Daggett.

You Glampers are a whole different subject but you at least have a word for what you do, which since it often involves kicking back and drinking wine are pretty close to what dear wife calls camping.... even if done in the back yard by the fire pit in a lawn chair.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 04:10 PM   #23

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Now that is surely True Grit for camping, there, RogerDat!
Old 08-04-2016, 04:12 PM   #24

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyW View Post
Eleven months ago I moved my life from a roomy apartment into a 17' Casita and began driving. So far I have never camped, meaning I live inside, I have never built a fire, never cooked food outdoors, and have rarely even put chairs up outside. That's probably because I'm an introvert traveling solo and have never camped on my own with a tent. I don't know how.

But I love my life! I've completely circled the U.S., visited many friends, stayed in national forests, and boondocked at Quartzsite. Someday someone will teach me how to camp, but until then, I'm seeing the country and living in nature. Living on the road is what I call it.

Queen of the Road! Sounds lovely! May you live long and prosper in the life you have chosen!
Old 08-04-2016, 04:15 PM   #25

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I got the camper originally as something to live in at agility trials. But quickly got hooked up with a group who camps, and as the years have gone by, have gotten more and more into camping and doing the camping things- like cooking in a camp oven, sitting outside and reading, visiting with people, etc. Going for walks in and around the campground. (Did I say camp often enough?)

I haven't yet tried camping/traveling but it's on the list.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:23 PM   #26

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post

You Glampers are a whole different subject but you at least have a word for what you do, which since it often involves kicking back and drinking wine are pretty close to what dear wife calls camping.... even if done in the back yard by the fire pit in a lawn chair.
I suspect I might fall into the Glamper category these days :lout:lout I do like to use matching chairs, table cloths and lots of solar lights were ever its parked. And yes the fridge will always have a bottle or two of cold wine at the ready.

But having said that I can be found camping down long dirt roads without power and water just as often as you might find me parked in a Provincial park (still without power or water) or parked out in the desert, far more often than you will find me plugged into power & water at a private RV park.

Have in the past done lots of backpacking and kayak camping and yup there is a wee difference in the comforts/dryness of the camping when one uses a trailer. But I actually purchased the trailer so I would not be having to roughing it that much! :lout When your hanging out with friends in a somewhat remote area & your sitting around a campfire trying to convince them that the sound they heard in the woods behind them is a bear coming to clean out their trailer or your lugging water up from a creek to refill your water tank, it still feels a lot like camping to me!

Have used my trailer in a lot of different ways. Hanging out in backcountry or desert locations for a week or more at a time, attending 3 day music festivals, touring the US or Canada six to eight weeks at a time - staying only a few days at a time in one location. Used it recently for two weeks as a mobile hotel room why searching for a new home along a very long stretch of the coast. Even took it to a wedding once - the bride and groom married at a location with a large field beside the reception hall and invited friends and family attending from out of town to bring their trailers - ended up with about 10 trailers and 3 VW vans at that function. It was a real good after party!

Regardless of the location or reason its all camping to me! :lout but I can see where those who prefer the real backcountry roughing it experience might suggest that perhaps it isn't!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:31 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
It's ALL good.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 05:34 PM   #28

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Yes, in our trailer we ARE camping. No, it's not always in an "official" campground. No, it's not always with power and water. No, it's not always miles off the beaten path, in the true wilderness....but it IS always fun. And it IS always wonderful NOT to be sleeping on the hard ground in a tent. Been there, done that. Gave the damn tent to the kids.

Camping is a feeling more than anything. And for me, I feel wonderful whenever and wherever I can be in my little trailer, even if it is in my own driveway.

To those who feel that what they do is camping and what others (including me) do, isn't....all I can say is "whatever floats your boat".
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:07 PM   #29
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
In the HC1 when the kitchen is in the trailer we are camping , when we leave the kitchen home we are traveling. Done both and enjoy both.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:16 PM   #30

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi All,

I have nothing to add to the definition of camping vs. traveling. LONG day of work. Just finished dinner. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the 28 posts on this topic. A nice way to relax.

Thank you,

Dean
Old 08-04-2016, 07:19 PM   #31

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If you're in an RV Resort, you aren't camping, you are parking.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:54 AM   #32

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
If you're in an RV Resort, you aren't camping, you are parking.
Unless a bear eats your cooler and spare tire. Then I don't care where you are it be camping. Raccoons climbed into car ate your food and destroyed your interior while you slept? Probably camping no matter what amenities there are.

You start a small campfire to make smore's and people come running with fire extinguishers? Then it depends on if you are in the parking lot of Wal-Mart or a place with campground in the name.

I think if it is calling itself a campground the fire brigade response might give lie to that claim, then it might be a traveling stop rather than camping. This actually happened when I used a portable grill designed to use firewood, back when these where not commercially available or common. Note: I did NOT pick out the place for the family reunion camping trip.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:34 AM   #33

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Sounds like Babeling!
I have often said that I don't really own a Camper... I own a Travel Trailer.
Sometimes we take our Travel Trailer with us when we go camping.
Sometimes we take it when we travel, giving us a complete, comfortable and portable place to stay with all the comforts of home. This is great for everything from racetracks to bicycling destinations to visiting friends to just plain sight seeing! It is equipped with the external climate control devices on the bottom so sometimes we just use it to control the weather.
Calling it a "Camper" seems pretty restrictive but we still do sometimes.
Maybe "Tardis" would be almost appropriate since it has been used to travel across time and space!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:58 AM   #34

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Okkkkk....I've read all of this and have come to one BIG question(s) here....

Are FULL TIMERS camping?? OR.... do FULL TIMERS ever "go" camping??
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 10:39 AM   #35

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post

Trouble maker! ;-)
Old 08-05-2016, 10:54 AM   #36

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post

If they get out of their bulgemobile at the RV Park, grab a tent and take off for the weekend!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:05 AM   #37

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
But ya gotta admit, it's an interesting question- no? So far, no answers...except for ole Floyd...valid point.

Actually, in Gulfshores a couple of years ago at Johnny's RV (oh no...here it goes..) RESORT, I had some fulltimers with the big 5th wheels drool over my lil Scamp saying "We need one of these for the weekend!!" I wish for the life of me that I had replied.." To go camping???"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Trouble maker! ;-)
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:22 AM   #38

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I have friends who camp in a huge RV. Yes, camp. They cook a lot of stuff outside on the fire, eat outside, mostly stay away from the television, and do all the same things I do camping. But I've also seen people who rarely come out of the RV at a campground.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:26 AM   #39

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Registry
The dictionary's definition of camping is so broad that I think anyone's interpretation of the word is correct. Myself, as I've gotten older and more physically challenged, my personal definition has changed with the circumstances.

"Are FULL TIMERS camping??"

Hey Darral .... good question. I full time for five months of the year, but I don't travel that much. I have a JOB! On days off, I get around to lakes and such, but I don't think of it as "going camping". It's a way of life. Might be better to say "always camping".

Whatever your definition, enjoy it!

Gordon
Gordon in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:30 AM   #40

Registry
Here's "an" answer--the concept of camping involves temporary shelter.
So the idea of full-timing would also involve camping if the people moved frequently to new locations, or used, as suggested above, tents to get out and CAMP temporarily away from their customary big rig. Parking in a long-term site like an RV "Park" would be less camping and more "living."
If you travel, change places every night, and have a permanent home elsewhere, then you're probably camping.

(It also has a strong military component, but never mind that for our purposes...)

camp
[kamp]
noun
1. a place where an army or other group of persons or an individual is lodged in a tent or tents or other temporary means of shelter.
2. such tents or shelters collectively: The regiment transported its camp in trucks.
3. the persons so sheltered: The camp slept through the storm.
4. the act of camping out: Camp is far more pleasant in summer than in winter.
5. any temporary structure, as a tent or cabin, used on an outing or vacation.
6. a group of troops, workers, etc., camping and moving together.
7. army life.

verb:
1. to establish or pitch a camp: The army camped in the valley.
2. to live temporarily in or as if in a camp or outdoors, usually for recreation (often followed by out): They camped by the stream for a week.
3. to reside or lodge somewhere temporarily or irregularly, especially in an apartment, room, etc.: They camped in our apartment whenever they came to town.

verb (used with object)
to put or station (troops) in a camp; shelter.

Origin:
1520-30; < Middle French can, camp, orig. dial. (Normandy, Picardy) or < Old Provençal < Italian campo < Latin campus field; compare Old English campe, compe battle, battlefield (cognate with German Kampf struggle) < Germanic < Latin

Dictionary.com Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2016.
Cite This Source If you live in a parked mobile home, it's not camping.
If you live in a parked for two weeks RV it may be camping.