Camping with Kids (subtitled Camping with LIly) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2011, 10:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Camping with Kids (subtitled Camping with LIly)

A suggestion was made that we start this thread. To begin with, I am showing off my future camper's (We hope.) pictures.

This is Lily Abigail, born this morning at 2:39 AM, 7 pounds 12 oz, 19 inches, and looking just like her father did almost 30 years ago. Kevin held her first. She was quiet. I took her; she fussed. No! But as you can see in the second picture with me, she settled down.

Our first grandchild.

CindyL and KevinM
Attached Thumbnails
Lily 1.jpg   Lily 2.jpg  

Kevin and Lily.jpg   Cindy and Lily.jpg  

Cindy and Lily 2.jpg  
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #2

Registry
When we were searching for something different to give the kids as a gift, we thought that we would look to camping, since the kids are tent campers. In fact, Mark, our son, showed me the little tent that they had selected for Lily.

We found this: Kelty FC 3.0 Child Carrier Backpack and Amazon.com: Kelty K.I.D.S. FC 3.0 Frame Child Carrier: Sports & Outdoors for them new parents. It should serve them for camping, walking, hiking, shopping, etc for several years. This converts to fit smaller and larger babies.

They were very happy with it.

CindyL
Attached Thumbnails
281.jpg  
Old 06-05-2011, 10:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
A suggestion was made that we start this thread. To begin with, I am showing off my future camper's (We hope.) pictures.

This is Lily Abigail, born this morning at 2:39 AM, 7 pounds 12 oz, 19 inches, and looking just like her father did almost 30 years ago. Kevin held her first. She was quiet. I took her; she fussed. No! But as you can see in the second picture with me, she settled down.

Our first grandchild.

CindyL and KevinM
Truely a beautiful child!! Nothing compares to this moment...savor it!
Congratulations Gramma!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:17 AM   #4

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: CindyL...They truely are portable till Independence Day...Then lookout world!!!
Enjoy her to bits.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:41 AM   #5

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Good morning, New Grandma Cindy-
Welcome to the Club!
Lily Abigail's absolutely beautiful, and it's easy to see that she's happy in her Grandfolks' arms... lucky little future camper!
That backpack arrangement is ingenious- looks like a super all- purpose baby-toter/ manager.
I think it'd be marvelous in "camp"- a handy, secure place to set Lily down while you go about your camp chores...
If you can ever bear to put her down at all

Francesca
P.S.
I'll refrain from posting pics of my grandkids....today
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #6

Name: Dan
Trailer: popup currently, I feel dirty ;-)
Colorado
Congratulations!

Beautiful name! I'm biased, my daughter's name is Lily (short for Lillian), but her middle name is Grace. And we plan to do some camping with her soon (she's 4 1/2 months).
LurkerDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:17 PM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Congrats!

The day our daughter was born was the most amazing day of my life. We have camped with her since she was 2 months old. That first trip she slept in a suitcase (open of course!).
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:18 PM   #8

Registry
That's an idea I will pass onto my son. I think that they are planning on taking her out in August.

CindyL
Old 06-06-2011, 12:35 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post

Our first grandchild.

CindyL and KevinM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Congratulations!

Beautiful name! I'm biased, my daughter's name is Lily (short for Lillian), but her middle name is Grace. And we plan to do some camping with her soon (she's 4 1/2 months).
My question is, which one of you is going to (re?)name your trailer "The Lily Pad"?
My guess is that both your girls will think of them that way, anyway!

And off topic though it may be:
Here's a Decorating Tip for you two Lucky Lily Lovers...
True Value has a paint color called "Pond Lily" that's really a white with just the faintest undertones of a kind of pinky-lavender. I put it in a rental occupied by one of our tenants with her own little "Lily"
The color really only comes out at night by artificial light, and it's so softly beautiful that I've continued to use it even though that tenant has long since moved on!

Francesca
Old 06-06-2011, 03:18 PM   #10

Registry
I will tell the kids about the paint but they just painted the room.

Hey Dan, that would be a great name for your "new" Scamp. We just had a custom wheel cover made with our Howie Uhaul name.

CindyL
Old 06-06-2011, 05:27 PM   #11

Name: Dan
Trailer: popup currently, I feel dirty ;-)
Colorado
That is a great name. Thanks Francesca!

I just told my fiancee yesterday that we needed to come up with a name for our scamp, so Lily Pad is in the early lead (especially since we would not have purchased the camper were it not for Lily herself!).
LurkerDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:18 PM   #12

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
We took out son, Quinn, (s)camping when he was about six months old. He was only crawling at the time, and seemed to be magnetically attracted to dirt. I think it will be a lot more fun this year, since he is now walking, and is working on talking.

We put him in the bottom bunk with a bed rail. It worked out pretty well, but it took a little work to get at him. It will be nice when he can sleep on the bunk without worry of falling off.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
We took out son, Quinn, (s)camping when he was about six months old. He was only crawling at the time, and seemed to be magnetically attracted to dirt. I think it will be a lot more fun this year, since he is now walking, and is working on talking.

We put him in the bottom bunk with a bed rail. It worked out pretty well, but it took a little work to get at him. It will be nice when he can sleep on the bunk without worry of falling off.
Something to consider. Most children fall out of bed because there's nothing to define the edge of the bed. A short bed rail provides the stop. It doesn't have to be so tall it's hard to get at the child. I built a rail to use on the top bunk that there was about a 1" gap between the top of the bed and bottom of the rail. The rail was made out of 1 1/2" PVC pipe. When rolls over and bumps into the rail they stop and don't attempt to roll over the rail.

Without knowing your child and how much they want to climb out of bed I can't recommend you do the same, but you might consider it.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:16 PM   #14

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Congratulations on your grandaughter, Cindy! She is beautiful
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:08 PM   #15
Baj

Name: Baj
Trailer: 96 Scamp 16' SD
North Carolina
Congrats on your beautiful grandchild!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post

I know whatcha mean our baby girl Kaya was almost 9months old a couple weeks back when we took her on her first scamping trip...she was "magnetically attracted" to crawl to the dirt too haha
She was and still is teething and just getting over a cold so needless to say she wasn't sleeping too well, especially in a whole new environment like the scamp

I have been trying to decide on the best way to close in the side dinette to make it a crib for her.
Hoping the next trip in about 3 weeks will go better since its for 5 nights and allot furthur from home this time(10hrs) and a musicfest taboot
Baj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:26 PM   #16

Registry
Here's a confession from the "Bad Grandma" department:
My little grandson was about two the first time I took him camping without his parents.
Putting the dinette cushion inside the sleeping bag had worked very well to keep his older sister from rolling off in the night- but it didn't stop Hunter!
After the first night of putting him back in bed, I decided to "go with the flow"-
for the rest of the week, he started out- and stayed- on the floor under the dinette!
We called it "sleeping in the basement".......

Francesca

P.S.
Hunter's parents still don't know what that means-