Camplite brand trailers - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-19-2013, 06:07 AM   #15

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Composite board is generally plastic. I used all plastic stuff recently building a rear seat platform for our classic speedboat. Used plastic wood from Lowe's for the frame, and plastic plywood from Best in cow comfort! Offering cow mat, cow mattresses, horse arena footing, horse stall mats, horse mats, arena fotting, horse matting, equine stall mats, horse floor mats, rubber arena footing, and more for the platform. Only wood now in my boat is the glass-enclosed transom!

Frank

Old 07-19-2013, 06:36 AM   #16

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
I have the brochure here. They use "azdel" composite. I looked it up: AZDEL onboard and Hanwha Azdel Composite & Material Solutions. I'm not a fan of anything sandwiched. It tends to "unsandwich" at least with our luck or lack of it. I do really like it but the hail is a deal breaker. We had a mobile home years ago in a hail storm, cars pelted, a new pop-up camper with an aluminum roof that was beaten and had to be replaced and it was never right, windows broke out of our house by hail............ We had hail in every state we have lived in.

Also, they have not passed "the test of time".

Old 08-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #17

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
With 450% growth over the last three years, Wakarusa, Ind.-based Livin’ Lite Recreational Vehicles LLC ranked in the top 1,000 in Inc. Magazine’s Top 5,000 fastest-growing companies for 2013.

Wakarusa’s Livin’ Lite RV makes Inc. Magazine’s top 5,000 fastest-growing companies list | Business Beat
Old 08-21-2013, 10:48 AM   #18

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
With 450% growth over the last three years, Wakarusa, Ind.-based Livin’ Lite Recreational Vehicles LLC ranked in the top 1,000 in Inc. Magazine’s Top 5,000 fastest-growing companies for 2013.

Wakarusa’s Livin’ Lite RV makes Inc. Magazine’s top 5,000 fastest-growing companies list | Business Beat
Only problem is they are still prone to hail damage. We looked at them at the Boat n RV place 10 miles from where we live, and they are great looking trailers and seem to be well thought out and very sturdily constructed. If I wasn't going egg, it would be Livin Lite.

Frank
Old 08-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #19

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
An Airstream owner probably has an opinion on the use of rivets; I think most egg owners would prefer to minimize them. I would tell you how many rivets are in a Camplite, but I can't count that high.

I like much of their design philosophy, but I can't help but thinking, perhaps irrationally, that I would end up cutting myself on an aluminum edge or injuring myself on a sharp metal corner. They have the look, inside and out, of a carefully constructed home metalworking project.
Since the frame is all welded, and I can't see any rivets on the side panels, the only places that might have rivets are the window/door frames and perhaps at the panel edges. But then again, perhaps they are screws... I can't tell. Do you have any info on this?

Camplite has a good idea, and it looks like they are concentrating on quality. They're vastly different from molded FG, and they'll drag wind like a stickie, but overall I find them appealing.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:30 PM   #20

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Something to remember, a lot of people buy RVs with the same mind set as they buy the tow vehicle. They don't look at it LONG TERM, like "in the will to the kids." Lots of folks buy something like this RV, thinking may be 5-6 years and don't really expect to recoop any dollars when sold. WE are all a very small group, in the grand scheme of things, in fact, LOTS of RVers have never seen, or heard of most of the brands of trailers owned by members here.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:32 PM   #21

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Wherever we stop [camping, gassing up, etc.] it's kinda neat to find
no one has heard of the brand or even heard of the "egg" camper.
Being unique is always interesting to those who see them.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #22

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Since the frame is all welded, and I can't see any rivets on the side panels, the only places that might have rivets are the window/door frames and perhaps at the panel edges. But then again, perhaps they are screws... I can't tell. Do you have any info on this?
On the Camplite products that I have seen there are fasteners (I think rivets, but that's from memory and maybe they're self-tapping screws?) along the entire length of every panel joint (the sides are not one sheet of aluminum) and the length of every edge (they use extrusions or formed sheet pieces over the edges)... at closely spaced intervals. Even the smallest unit must have hundreds. It is very much like an Airstream, but flat instead of curved, and with top edges.

I just looked at their website photos, and found it almost impossible to see these fasteners. I don't think they're hiding anything, but this reinforces the importance of seeing products first-hand or at least with very detailed images and specifications.

I didn't notice any quality problems in the trailers and slide-in truck camper I've been in, but they are - ummm - basic, so there's not a lot to get wrong. As I said, a carefully constructed home metalworking project - that was not intended as a negative term, just descriptive.

For some people I'm sure they're great, and I do appreciate that they have taken a different approach.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #23

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Camplite/Livin Lite is now part of Thor Industries
Thor Buys Lightweight Trailer Maker Livin’ Lite | RV Business
Old 08-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #24

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Interesting. Thor has acquired a lot of RV companies, several of them when they were going cheap in the economic downturn a few years ago. At one point they had a corporate web page showing something like 50 brand names, but the current list looks much shorter... because they have retired many of the old names, even if they have continued the product lines.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #25

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
So many different brands of "fiberglass" trailers and most have a following on Yahoo[groups] or other forums... if you're TRULY interested when it comes to problems/accolates... Google is your friend.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:26 AM   #26

Name: Miranda
Trailer: None
South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Interesting so now Livin' Lite is in the same corporate family as Airstream.

Previously before discovering fgrvs I always thought of Airstream as the ultimate dream camper being legendary in quality, durability and performance but after reading Airforums the owners have sadly had their own issues with their Airstreams.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #27
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Interesting so now Livin' Lite is in the same corporate family as Airstream.

Previously before discovering fgrvs I always thought of Airstream as the ultimate dream camper being legendary in quality, durability and performance but after reading Airforums the owners have sadly had their own issues with their Airstreams.
That is an interesting move by both Thor and Livin Lite.

You are correct. There are a number of quality issues with Airstream's built in the last decade. IMHO there is no excuse considering the price.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #28

Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
US
Interesting, I see they are coming out with a micro fifth wheel, will be curious to see how the size compares to the escape 5.0