campsite signs or placards - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #1

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
campsite signs or placards

one of the camping groups i have camped with made up little placakards or signs that we would post at our campsite. this helped others in the group,,, or even folks just passing through that wanted to say hi to identify who was on what site.
anyone have any pictures of any you have seen? or fun ideas for said signs?

Old 08-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #2

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Hi John,

Those that I have seen say:.
The name and date of event, usually with a logo of some sort.
Who you are.
Where you are from.
Trailer specs ... make, model, year.
Trailer name.
Online names optional.

In no specific order.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Many years ago, I believe it was the Airstream group, suggested taking all outside name plaques off of trailers for reasons of safety.
An owner was less suspect of someone knocking on the door at 2 AM when they heard "Hey Bill and Harriet, I need some help", than to just a blind knock.
For that reason, at least at events I have staged, we stuck to putting a numbered plaque at each site, or on each rig itself, and then made an indexed list of information available at registration. (And hoped they didn't leave them laying around). But you can knock yourself out designing the number plaques
I guess it's a sign of the times we live in.....
Old 08-10-2012, 04:29 PM   #4

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
My friends gave me one that says" Mess with me and you mess with the hole trailer park"
Old 08-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #5

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I have not experienced that. My attitude is that "the only thing I have to fear is fear itself."

The Oregon Gathering provides campsite signs as part of the registration package.
Here is mine from this past month in addition to my own "Party Place" banner.
Attached Thumbnails
000_1300.jpg  
Old 08-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have a carved wood sign that we had custom made, it has Mary & Bob and an image of a popup and a teardrop on it. We didn't have the Uhaul at that time. A separate piece hangs under it that has Chatham, NY on it. Tim Hornshaw, Hornshaw Woodworks, made it, it can be seen on his website. He made one for our daughter and Mary's sister. We put it out at our campsite on a stand. I was thinking of making up a "visitors welcome" sign as I find most people are hesitant to come into our site and ask to see the trailer. The Uhaul doesn't attract much attention but the teardrop certainly does.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #7

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
I have seen vintage suitcases painted with a logo, trailer info, and owner names on them. They look pretty cool. The suitcases were used for packing things like outside light strings, etc. You can paint anything with camper info. I've also seen some of the vintage stickies that painted the entire inside of their door with chalkboard paint, since the doors are usually left open, they can decorate the door anyway they want with colored chalk
Old 08-10-2012, 11:11 PM   #8

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I wish I had a picture of Pat's and Paul's tiny mailbox (on a stand) they put out by the road when they camped. Typical rural mailbox (without last name)... they were just waiting for a letter!

Over the years, I've seen signs, flags and even a painted rock that "announced" who was camping in the site.

Be one of one... not one of many!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:28 PM   #9

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Many years ago, I believe it was the Airstream group, suggested taking all outside name plaques off of trailers for reasons of safety.
An owner was less suspect of someone knocking on the door at 2 AM when they heard "Hey Bill and Harriet, I need some help", than to just a blind knock.
For that reason, at least at events I have staged, we stuck to putting a numbered plaque at each site, or on each rig itself, and then made an indexed list of information available at registration. (And hoped they didn't leave them laying around). But you can knock yourself out designing the number plaques

I really want to know how many times a bad guy knocked anybodies trailer door.
Paranoia will get ya.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:15 AM   #10

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
At most of the meets I attend we either have a sign with first names of owners, trailer make and year either at the entrance to the campsite or on the trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:41 AM   #11

Name: Ron
Trailer: Eggless for now.
Formerly NH, now full timing
Registry
Byron,
I agree. I don't think the actual percentages support the paranoia. The popular news media seems to overplay the dastardly deeds of the few and makes it seem like an epidemic of ugly events. And, have you noticed the non-stop talking heads in company lobbies, and waiting rooms at places like JiffyLube, etc.. Could it be that the big media owners are trying to program the population... hmm.

No thank you Fox, CNN, etc..

I'll get my news from PBS.

Ron
Old 08-11-2012, 06:21 AM   #12

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: john warren...Here's a pic of our "sign of the times". My daughter made it after spending a week camping with us.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
Staceys Escape.jpg  
Old 08-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #13

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Paranoia meets Caution:
I think that it's a given that the Airstream owners "as a group" are: a) More senior, b) Wealthier and, c) More attractive to bad guys, than the average 13' Hunter owner (that's me) might be, hence the additional cautions.
The original suggestion pertained to those permanently attached name signs outside ones trailer door and, as I recall, followed some problems with perps in rest areas.
However, advertising your full name and home town to non-participants in a public campground gathering still might not be the best idea for your protection or for the stuff you left at home.
Years ago, when I was on a P.D. near SFO I investigated a number of home break-ins that took place while the residents were traveling. The common thread, the perps read names and addresses off of baggage bound for internatinal destinations. And that's why your address is now supposed to be hidden on your luggage.....
I opt to be proactive..... Why give the bad guys even a 1% advantage?
Old 08-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #14

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Paranoia meets Caution:
I think that it's a given that the Airstream owners "as a group" are: a) More senior, b) Wealthier and, c) More attractive to bad guys, than the average 13' Hunter owner (that's me) might be, hence the additional cautions.
The original suggestion pertained to those permanently attached name signs outside ones trailer door and, as I recall, followed some problems with perps in rest areas.
However, advertising your full name and home town to non-participants in a public campground gathering still might not be the best idea for your protection or for the stuff you left at home.
Years ago, when I was on a P.D. near SFO I investigated a number of home break-ins that took place while the residents were traveling. The common thread, the perps read names and addresses off of baggage bound for internatinal destinations. And that's why your address is now supposed to be hidden on your luggage.....
I opt to be proactive..... Why give the bad guys even a 1% advantage?
Reread the PO. Nothing was said about permanent signs.

I take that to mean you're an ex-police man. Most police and ex-police that I've known are paranoid and every body is suspicious of being a bad guy.
If the bad guys were 1% that would be quite a large number.

Theft, burglary are generally crimes of opportunity. I doubt anybody is going to go into a campground or even be a campground that would be looking to see where somebody is from to find a house to break into. There's just too much effort required.