campsite signs or placards - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #1

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
campsite signs or placards

one of the camping groups i have camped with made up little placakards or signs that we would post at our campsite. this helped others in the group,,, or even folks just passing through that wanted to say hi to identify who was on what site.
anyone have any pictures of any you have seen? or fun ideas for said signs?
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Hi John,

Those that I have seen say:.
The name and date of event, usually with a logo of some sort.
Who you are.
Where you are from.
Trailer specs ... make, model, year.
Trailer name.
Online names optional.

In no specific order.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:15 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Many years ago, I believe it was the Airstream group, suggested taking all outside name plaques off of trailers for reasons of safety.
An owner was less suspect of someone knocking on the door at 2 AM when they heard "Hey Bill and Harriet, I need some help", than to just a blind knock.
For that reason, at least at events I have staged, we stuck to putting a numbered plaque at each site, or on each rig itself, and then made an indexed list of information available at registration. (And hoped they didn't leave them laying around). But you can knock yourself out designing the number plaques
I guess it's a sign of the times we live in.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #4

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
My friends gave me one that says" Mess with me and you mess with the hole trailer park"
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I have not experienced that. My attitude is that "the only thing I have to fear is fear itself."

The Oregon Gathering provides campsite signs as part of the registration package.
Here is mine from this past month in addition to my own "Party Place" banner.
Attached Thumbnails
000_1300.jpg  
Old 08-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have a carved wood sign that we had custom made, it has Mary & Bob and an image of a popup and a teardrop on it. We didn't have the Uhaul at that time. A separate piece hangs under it that has Chatham, NY on it. Tim Hornshaw, Hornshaw Woodworks, made it, it can be seen on his website. He made one for our daughter and Mary's sister. We put it out at our campsite on a stand. I was thinking of making up a "visitors welcome" sign as I find most people are hesitant to come into our site and ask to see the trailer. The Uhaul doesn't attract much attention but the teardrop certainly does.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I have seen vintage suitcases painted with a logo, trailer info, and owner names on them. They look pretty cool. The suitcases were used for packing things like outside light strings, etc. You can paint anything with camper info. I've also seen some of the vintage stickies that painted the entire inside of their door with chalkboard paint, since the doors are usually left open, they can decorate the door anyway they want with colored chalk
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I wish I had a picture of Pat's and Paul's tiny mailbox (on a stand) they put out by the road when they camped. Typical rural mailbox (without last name)... they were just waiting for a letter!

Over the years, I've seen signs, flags and even a painted rock that "announced" who was camping in the site.

Be one of one... not one of many!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:28 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Many years ago, I believe it was the Airstream group, suggested taking all outside name plaques off of trailers for reasons of safety.
An owner was less suspect of someone knocking on the door at 2 AM when they heard "Hey Bill and Harriet, I need some help", than to just a blind knock.
For that reason, at least at events I have staged, we stuck to putting a numbered plaque at each site, or on each rig itself, and then made an indexed list of information available at registration. (And hoped they didn't leave them laying around). But you can knock yourself out designing the number plaques

I really want to know how many times a bad guy knocked anybodies trailer door.
Paranoia will get ya.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:15 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
At most of the meets I attend we either have a sign with first names of owners, trailer make and year either at the entrance to the campsite or on the trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:41 AM   #11

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Byron,
I agree. I don't think the actual percentages support the paranoia. The popular news media seems to overplay the dastardly deeds of the few and makes it seem like an epidemic of ugly events. And, have you noticed the non-stop talking heads in company lobbies, and waiting rooms at places like JiffyLube, etc.. Could it be that the big media owners are trying to program the population... hmm.

No thank you Fox, CNN, etc..

I'll get my news from PBS.

Ron
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:21 AM   #12

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: john warren...Here's a pic of our "sign of the times". My daughter made it after spending a week camping with us.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
Staceys Escape.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:54 AM   #13

Paranoia meets Caution:
I think that it's a given that the Airstream owners "as a group" are: a) More senior, b) Wealthier and, c) More attractive to bad guys, than the average 13' Hunter owner (that's me) might be, hence the additional cautions.
The original suggestion pertained to those permanently attached name signs outside ones trailer door and, as I recall, followed some problems with perps in rest areas.
However, advertising your full name and home town to non-participants in a public campground gathering still might not be the best idea for your protection or for the stuff you left at home.
Years ago, when I was on a P.D. near SFO I investigated a number of home break-ins that took place while the residents were traveling. The common thread, the perps read names and addresses off of baggage bound for internatinal destinations. And that's why your address is now supposed to be hidden on your luggage.....
I opt to be proactive..... Why give the bad guys even a 1% advantage?

Old 08-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #14

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Paranoia meets Caution:
I think that it's a given that the Airstream owners "as a group" are: a) More senior, b) Wealthier and, c) More attractive to bad guys, than the average 13' Hunter owner (that's me) might be, hence the additional cautions.
The original suggestion pertained to those permanently attached name signs outside ones trailer door and, as I recall, followed some problems with perps in rest areas.
However, advertising your full name and home town to non-participants in a public campground gathering still might not be the best idea for your protection or for the stuff you left at home.
Years ago, when I was on a P.D. near SFO I investigated a number of home break-ins that took place while the residents were traveling. The common thread, the perps read names and addresses off of baggage bound for internatinal destinations. And that's why your address is now supposed to be hidden on your luggage.....
I opt to be proactive..... Why give the bad guys even a 1% advantage?
Reread the PO. Nothing was said about permanent signs.

I take that to mean you're an ex-police man. Most police and ex-police that I've known are paranoid and every body is suspicious of being a bad guy.
If the bad guys were 1% that would be quite a large number.

Theft, burglary are generally crimes of opportunity. I doubt anybody is going to go into a campground or even be a campground that would be looking to see where somebody is from to find a house to break into. There's just too much effort required.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:42 AM   #15

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
Agree w/ Byron - if I am camping in, say, Arizona, I **REALLY** doubt that anyone is likely to travel to Galt just IN CASE the house is empty (it is alarmed anyway).

re cops - isn't their motto ... guilty until proven innocent? They suspect ALL.
AND agree on 1% being a HUGE overstatement - most cops will ALSO tell you that a lot of their.. ummmm... "clientele" are repeat customers.

Take "reasonable" precaution and enjoy life!!!!
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #16

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Deluxe ('The White House')
OH!!! ONE more point that IS on topic (kind of...)...

IF you are still working - one item of exposure - your CAR! When you park it for the day when you work, it has your registration (ADDRESS) and likely a garage door opener on the visor (KEY!!!). This is espec true for ladies - sorry to be sexist, but when a woman parks a car for the day, you can be almost 100% sure the house is empty. A guy, less certain. Sorry - just the odds. SO - purge your car of items with your address (remember receipts from tire shops, etc too) and get rid of the opener and get a mini for your key ring.
Weinel, Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 10:02 AM   #17

In regards to personal safety, to each their own....
That said, my 4 year stint with the P.D. in the late 60's, before returning to school and going into teaching, taught me a lot about being proactive for my own, as well as my families, safety.
In todays society police and other first responders often are called upon to put their lives on the line, and few begrudge doing that. However, continually having to deal with the lesser part of society does tend to make one a bit jaded.
In my 4 years, I don't ever remember being sent out on a call to have someone tell me how happy they were that week. But I will never forget having a 17 y.o. girl die in my arms, after being hit by a drunk driver. Her last words "Mommy, it hurts", will haunt me forever.
The 1% was just an off-hand comment, the real numbers of bad guys are much higher. This is from the Department of Justice link at:

http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub/pdf/cpus10.pdf

"Correctional Population in the United States, 2010
At yearend 2010, the total number of offenders under the supervision
of the adult correctional authorities represented about 3.0% of adults in the U.S. resident population, or 1 in every 33 adults. The rate of adults under
correctional supervision has remained relatively stable since 2000 (3.1%)."

And those are just the ones that were caught!
As mentioned, I am not going to give anyone even a 1% edge on me or my family.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #18

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weinel, Alan View Post
purge your car of items with your address (remember receipts from tire shops, etc too) and get rid of the opener and get a mini for your key ring.
I would not advise this if you plan on driving in BC - you will be fined for failing to be able to produce your insurance papers & registration.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #19

Yep, same in most of the 48 southern provinces as well.... Registration and proof of insurance cards must be in the vehicle. For that reason, some of the more cautious actually keep a P.O. box open just to avoid having a live address laying around.
Just to show how times have changed, until the 60's, California required that the registration information be visable from the outside, either on the steering column or the drivers sun visor.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:00 PM   #20

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
One of the benefits of carrying a purse, is the registration/ insurance for my vehicles is in one of the pockets. I don't drive without my license and that's in the purse as well. Hence, if I should be pulled over, I can produce both.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote