Can/do you "Dump" at home? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-16-2014, 12:49 AM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Alice got a couple things for you. Do you know if the sewer main is in the street or in an easement to the rear? I ask that because most all sewer lines going from the house to the main will have a clean out not to far from the house. If you see a cleanout you know where the main is. They should have a screw in cap (for fumes). I've had a couple houses that had two inline, one sweep went towards the the street and the other toward the house. If you remove the cap you can see which way it turns. You can use the one going towards the street with no problem. If you don't see any cleanouts you can hire a private locater to mark the line for you. Possibly one of your neighbors may know. If it's not under concrete, cutting in a sweep for a new cleanout (dump station) is pretty easy. You can use Adams clamps to connect it to the existing line as a sewer line is not under pressure. When I added mine to my septic system I used an old water meter box and lid to enclose it.

Old 08-16-2014, 08:34 AM   #16

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I do have a clean out in my backyard where, with a longer hose, I could dump there. I don't do that though, simply preferring to use the dump station at the campground. Mines only a gray water anyway, mostly just dish soap bubbles and wAter.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Old 08-17-2014, 03:47 PM   #17

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
When we had our house built I had a dump station installed. Since I live in the country it dumps into the septic tank. The bad thing is that I was not here when it was installed so the location is not where I would have had it put, with a bit longer hose, it works well.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:32 PM   #18

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Alice got a couple things for you. Do you know if the sewer main is in the street or in an easement to the rear? I ask that because most all sewer lines going from the house to the main will have a clean out not to far from the house. If you see a cleanout you know where the main is. They should have a screw in cap (for fumes).
Thanks for the info. I know where the clean out is on the far side of the house from where Scamp is parked. It seems odd that it is there because the laundry room, kitchen, and master bath are on the side of the of the house where Scamp gets parked. I am going to check with the city this week and see if they have any info on clean outs attached to the main line. Would think in order to cut into the main line, or dump anything, one would need the ok from the city at minimum. Usually there is a cost involved plus and inspection. There are no easements to the rear.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:17 AM   #19

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I have the garden hose cap on the gray water. It gets dumped in the flower beds.

I can dump the black in my septic, but I've never used my black tank.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:29 AM   #20

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
my take on this....

dumping into septic system: Before doing that I would do a little research...your septic tank is a working "system"....that particular chemical you are adding to your black tank might just kill some of the desired organisms in your septic tank that make it work....lots of different holding tank chemicals out there....hence some research

adding a dump line on your property to a city sewer system: "don't ask don't tell"....it's your property....and even if there was something "wrong" with it, the "penalty" would probably less of a hassle than getting the approval beforehand....plead ignorance.... and take LOTS of pictures of the work/alteration

about things breaking up "down there"....just imagine what happens in that half full, small, square tank when you are driving down the road stopping, turning and accelerating...LOL...it's a regular washing machine....."don't sweat the small stuff"
Attached Thumbnails
btca.jpg   btcc3.jpg  

Old 08-18-2014, 11:54 AM   #21

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
dumping into septic system: Before doing that I would do a little research...your septic tank is a working "system"....that particular chemical you are adding to your black tank might just kill some of the desired organisms in your septic tank that make it work....lots of different holding tank chemicals out there....hence some research

I had not thought about the chemicals. I suppose one could cut back to the minimum on them just to keep the smell abated. The other thought is a septic tank is pretty big and flushed with a lot of water from clothes washing and stuff and the few ounces of "blue" chemical dumped out of a black tank on a FGRV is a really, really small percentage of the total. In a sewer system it would a non-issue.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:16 PM   #22

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
There are friendly treatments for black water, also.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:34 PM   #23

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Dumping at home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
During this process I had him install a "clean-out" port (looks just like a campground sewer connection) in case I ever have to have the line Roto-Rooted. Its not very close to the spot where I park the Motel Fiber Stream (as my friends call it) but I have a 40' slinky that gets the dumping job done at home. I have to lift the slinky along it's length to get the waste to flow.
I forgot that the 2 pieces of the slinky total 50'.
Once connected up I have to start at the trailer and lift the hose off the ground, moving along the length toward the clean-out,
because of the up-hill part at the end.

I store my trailer in the back yard.Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1627.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	330.8 KB
ID:	75332

First, the Doghouse...Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1702.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	354.5 KB
ID:	75333

...is moved out of the way...Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1701.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	376.3 KB
ID:	75334

...to access the clean-out.Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1700.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	404.3 KB
ID:	75335

Find the tote...Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1704.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	75336

with the 50' sewer hose.Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1703.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	75337

Connect one end to the clean-out...Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1699.jpg
Size:	407.1 KB
ID:	75338

...and the other end to the trailer across the yard.
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_1697.jpg
Size:	351.6 KB
ID:	75339
Old 08-24-2014, 03:25 AM   #24

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Frederick, I'm not sure by looking at the pics but is there any reason you can't back the trailer on the astroturf to be within 10 or so feet from the dump station ? I've done the slinky walk too and plumbed the one I have now to eliminate that.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:17 AM   #25

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
... is there any reason you can't back the trailer on the astroturf to be within 10 or so feet from the dump station ? I've done the slinky walk too and plumbed the one I have now to eliminate that.
I have access issues. While I do have a gate, I don't have a driveway. Once the trailer is parked in the yard it stays put. I have parked it on the astroturf when I had to park the Compact Jr in front of it. I have to practice "defensive parking" to keep some random neighbor from blocking access. Street sweeping day is the only time I can count on having access to the gate, and Robert has to act between 10:45 and 11:15 on Thursday to park HIS CAR in front of the gate. At 3300 pounds, the trailer is too heavy to move with a tongue dolly. The slinky walk is the least problematic solution, as building a curb cut, apron, and 6" thick driveway (to code) will cost me $10,000 - $15,000 (including permit fees). Such is life in the big city.
Attached Thumbnails
000_1163.jpg   000_1165.jpg  

Old 08-24-2014, 10:20 AM   #26

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Mississippi
Registry
Unless we're gone for multiple weeks, I always dump at home. During the bulding of the enclosure for our trailer, I found a cleanout about 15 feet away. I'd much rather do this at home where I can take my time and do it right.

I understand that many people do not use their onboard facilities. For me, I'd sooner eat a frozen possum than use a public restroom. If I did not use our toilet, I'd take it out and put a hot tub or something in there.

Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote