Can I peek inside your Scamp? (SF Bay Area) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2017, 10:11 AM   #1

Name: Ben
Trailer: Scamp
California
Can I peek inside your Scamp? (SF Bay Area)

Hello you wonderful community, I'm really enjoying crawling through the wealth of information here. We put down a deposit on a 13' Scamp, and are impatiently waiting for it.

While the information is awesome, I'd also love a chance to crawl through the real thing. I'm a pretty tall guy, and I want to understand exactly what that means for me inside one.

We're in the South Bay, but really we'd travel for a few hours in any direction for a chance to climb inside one.
bmacaskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 11:20 AM   #2

You can come and see mine. 16' deluxe in Antioch. I'm 6"2 and standing tall without A/C.
achang001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:09 PM   #3

California
Awesome, thanks! I'll shoot you a PM to coordinate.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:13 PM   #4

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
I would love to show you mine but I am in VA. We are part of the Casita referral program with Casita as well. If you look at a Casita etc... there is a program where owners get a commission when they show the trailer and the person buys one, We do travel a good bit - going to MI to the Algonac State Park rally Sept 8 - there should be lots there. There are rallies all over the country that you could drop in on and check them out - LOTS of them at one time - all kinds, Scamps, Casitas, Boler, Escape, etc... Check this forum and the Casita forum for upcoming rallies or here https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...7542619619&z=3 or here https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...7.64741525&z=4
Old 07-06-2017, 02:19 PM   #5

California
Thanks for the heads up, being able to attend a rally would be an awesome chance to really see the varieties and also all the modifications and improvements. I'll keep my eye out for future ones, and hopefully also attend one some day with my own trailer.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:42 AM   #6

Name: Doug
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16, 2011 RAV4 V6
California
We got a new 2014 Scamp 16, layout 4, in late 2013. A few things I would have changed, knowing what I know now:

1. Don't have them install the stupid ugly little sewer hose holder on the front. It is too small and turns yellow with exposure to the sun. I've replaced mine with a 5x5" plastic fence post mounted order the frame in the rear.

2. Have them add a door to the lower half of the closet. Otherwise it is just a pit where things get placed and forgotten.

3. Don't add a receiver on the rear bumper. We had one installed but can't use it for bikes, as planned, due to sway issues.

4. Think about having a second pair of tail lights installed higher up, for better visibility by trailing vehicles.

That's all I can think of right now. We love our Scamp.
Doug in Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:33 PM   #7

California
This is awesome info, thanks so much for sharing. It feels like there should be a thread just to compile these bits of advice, maybe I'll create one....
Old 07-07-2017, 06:35 PM   #8

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
There is lots of varied advice on this website. It may be difficult to find in one place but your could start by doing a search using the words "new owner advice". Go to the "Search" button above, go to the bottom of the drop-down menu to "Search site/Google" and enter your words.

I really didn't fully understand the extent to which I could have customized my new Scamp. I agree with all of Doug's suggestions except for #2. While you may want a door in the lower closet we found that a "pull-up" bottom shelf in our custom installed shelving system works well to access this wheel well area. There we put tablecloths, toys, pie iron, bench pads, and a large net bag for laundry. I would have chosen sturdier curtain rods and bars or asked to leave the wall bare so I could install a wrap-around curtain rod. The Happier Camper has a sturdy shades on it's window which cannot be changed. It's efficient, but as a "Glamper" I like the ability to change up the interior decor with curtains.

I ordered an exterior electric outlet which I never have used and others LOVE theirs.

We had chosen an ice chest over a refrigerator for our Scamp. This means you have to find ice every few days. This is becoming more difficult as the years pass by as you can't get blocks of ice at gas stations nor grocery stores very often. Also, the door does not have a locking mechanism. After camping in a rental RV on vacation in Alaska we fell in love with the refrigerator. We boondocked most of the time and the fridge performed magnificently, had no motor sounds and automatically chose whether to run on propane or electricity. Note: I don't know if the Scamp refrigerators have a lock or not.

So, basically, customizing is very personal and you really don't know what your preferences are until you camp with your trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Lodi, Scamp, Mom's, Packing 050.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:27 PM   #9

Name: Nelson
Trailer: 2017 16' Casita Liberty Deluxe
California
Somewhat similar to the Scamp

I have a brand new 16' Casita Liberty Deluxe. If your interested, you're welcome to come and see mine. The headroom is 5' 10" which is OK for me since I'm 5' 9" and shrinking. I chose the 16'er because of the overall height which fits nicely in my garage (the A/C is in the lower part of the front closet). The 17' Casita has 6' 1" headroom and the A/C is on the roof -- way to tall to go through my garage door. If you can stand the height, the 17' Casita was roughly only $1K more than the 16' Casita. I'm in Placerville, about 40 miles East of Sacramento - off Hwy 50 going to Lake Tahoe. Send me a PM if you think you might want to see the trailer.
Nelsonex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp