Can I tour your 13' near KC? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #1

Name: Richard
Trailer: Shopping
Kansas
Can I tour your 13' near KC?

I'm thinking about buying a 13 footer because that's what I can tow and because I'd like to conserve fuel. But, they just look so small & cramped. I'd really like to see what they look & feel like inside. I live between Topeka, KS and Kansas City and would be really grateful for a quick tour some day at your convenience if you live somewhat nearby. What do you think?
Thanks!
Richard
R Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Brown View Post
.... But, they just look so small & cramped.
Can't help you Richard, I live in the Pacific NorthWET... but remember, your livingroom is right outside the door... true story! No matter the interior space, 13' trailers are just a step above a hardsided tent. If you had a 13' tent... would you spend hours inside? You'll sleep dry and warm, have a place to safely store food and clothing. ALL which makes it better than ANY tent.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Can't help you Richard, I live in the Pacific NorthWET... but remember, your livingroom is right outside the door... true story! No matter the interior space, 13' trailers are just a step above a hardsided tent. If you had a 13' tent... would you spend hours inside? You'll sleep dry and warm, have a place to safely store food and clothing. ALL which makes it better than ANY tent.

Yes. Think of it as a tent on wheels.
RachelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Richard call the trailer company you are most interested in - most of them have a customer referral system and they will arrange for you to see one of their trailers at an owners home near you.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #5

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Richard,

Not sure how you plan to use your trailer. If you want to set up camp and spend your time inside the trailer during the day hours, yeah it would be pretty tiny.

There are many of us who do very well in our 13's. Some of the people with the 13 and the bath like it. Fred and I would not be happy with that model at all. I feel we have two living areas. Me on my front area and Fred doing camera and computer stuff on the dinette.

If we set up camp for a week in one place and wanted indoor space I almost think a fold out tent trailer would be of interest. the windows and wings would be nice. We travel with ours and would not want anything but what we have.

Having said that if we ever lost our trailer the model I would give a try would be the Scamp 16 with no bath, front bunks, side dinette and rear dinette. then we would have three living areas!

so, how do intend to use your trailer?

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:26 PM   #6

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
Kansas
Mines not all together yet but you would be welcome to come look at it. Send me a private message if interested. I live in Lawrence.
Bob
BOBco. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:55 PM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Honestly Richard, you will be surprized how big the inside of a 13fter is! Sometimes when I have a ton of crap in tow on a trip. I see fellow glass'ers with 13's and I swear they have more room than my 17! Guess it's cause the room in a 13 is compacted in 13 ft, where in a 17 they only add more crap to the 4 extra feet..........

Totally agree with CarolH, call both Scamp and Casita and see if they have someone in your area. It certainly will give you guys a better idea of what a 13 is all about.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:58 PM   #8

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
If you feel the need to look at a 16 footer, I'm in Western Shawnee.

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:18 AM   #9

Robin is right. Our little 13 with no bath has more elbow room than most bigger, fuller ones. We can pass each other in our common area. People are always surprised how much room is inside since the outside looks so small.

We have front and back overhead cabinets. I noticed that rigs without them feel bit more spacious. but I would not give them up.

Nancy
Old 04-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #10

Richard,

Before deciding what trailer was right for us Fred and I took a 3,000 mile trip to attend a Tab gathering one weekend and a fiberglass gathering the next.

That was a very valuable trip for us. We left NC knowing exactly what we wanted.

I do hope you can bring a tent, or somehow manage to attend the Minden gathering. I know it is a long drive but you will find it a big help.

Also we have excellent music every night and we are all a really great bunch.

Nancy
Old 04-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #11

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I concur with the surprise at the room inside a 13 footer. The floor space is roughly 4 ft x 5 ft as compared the long narrow hallway of the 16 and 17 footers.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #12

Name: Richard
Trailer: Shopping
Kansas
Re:Can I tour your 13' near KC?

Thanks for the great suggestions Nancy & all. As to how I plan to use a trailer, I have a couple of goals in mind. One is to travel & explore & the other is to visit grandchildren while driveway camping. Also, my wife works on-line. So I'd love to have a small dinnette. So, I'd think we also need a toilet. 13s probably don't have both, or can they? Also. I had an old 1950s 13" aluminum trailer 20 yrs ago. I found it pretty cramped, but that was after living in it for a whole summer. So, I really need to be inside one for a bit to get the feel of it. Hoping to make it to a rally this summer to do just that. I'll contact companies to find one to visit in KC too. Thanks again everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Richard,

Not sure how you plan to use your trailer. If you want to set up camp and spend your time inside the trailer during the day hours, yeah it would be pretty tiny.

There are many of us who do very well in our 13's. Some of the people with the 13 and the bath like it. Fred and I would not be happy with that model at all. I feel we have two living areas. Me on my front area and Fred doing camera and computer stuff on the dinette.

If we set up camp for a week in one place and wanted indoor space I almost think a fold out tent trailer would be of interest. the windows and wings would be nice. We travel with ours and would not want anything but what we have.

Having said that if we ever lost our trailer the model I would give a try would be the Scamp 16 with no bath, front bunks, side dinette and rear dinette. then we would have three living areas!

so, how do intend to use your trailer?

Nancy
R Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:01 PM   #13

Trailer: 2008 16 ft Scamp
With a 13 and a bath, it would be a front bath and you'd have a bed/table combo in the back. You'd need a 16 for a front bath, back bed/bigger table, side dinnette/small bed layout.
RachelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelW View Post
With a 13 and a bath, it would be a front bath and you'd have a bed/table combo in the back. You'd need a 16 for a front bath, back bed/bigger table, side dinnette/small bed layout.
Or a 17' Casita FD, or 17' Casita SD or 15' Escape or 15' Parkliner or Lil Snoozy
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:16 PM   #15

Richard,

Since you are limited to a 13 it is still doable. You just need a porta potty instead of taking up real estate inside.

You would then have the front area for one person and the dinette area for the other person. Computers do not take up much space.

If you have to have a bath things would get tight in a 13.

Nancy
Old 04-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #16

Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13' Deluxe
Minnesota
Keep in mind...My 13ft deluxe has a wider dinette/bed than the standard models.
God's Country, Minnesota
Mary Ann in MN is offline   Reply With Quote