Can my '95 VW Jetta tow a 13'?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2007, 11:19 AM   #1

Trailer: Compact II 1974
Hey all.

I love this site and am excited that this is my first post and officially my move from "lurker" to active member!

My question: I have a '95 Jetta with a towing limit of just 1000 pounds but really would love one of the little 13' travel trailers. Is it possible?

Also, if I am looking to get a hitch, do I need the ball type (I am looking at an older Burro here)? Should I install it myself? Uhaul wants about $200 to do it...

Any response is helpful as I am in a bit of a hurry...

thx.
David Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 01:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
David....
I would say no... just because the Scamp itself weights 1000lb 'before' options... I think the Casita weights alittle more but I might be wrong..

http://www.scamptrailers.com/index8bf5.html?PageID=22

http://www.casitatraveltrailers.com/13-layout.html

this gives you an idea of what your looking for in weights....

The best you could possibly pull might be a 'tent' trailer or a tear drop sorry.. that is all the info I can offer you..
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
My 13' Boler, loaded for travel, (i.e. food, bedding, clothes, cooking utensils,etc.) weighs in at about 1400+ lbs with one propane bottle and battery on tongue and I carry a lot of stuff in the box of my truck, i.e. spare trailer tire, trailer stands, scraps of wood for blocking, lawn chairs, screen tent, xtra coolant, engine oil, tranny oil, tools, folding table, Coleman stove (for outdoor cooking), etc., etc. ...where would you carry these items that you may need at some time?....I tend to overkill on carrying supplies for the unexpected and hopefully not get stranded in the middle of nowhere......you`ll never know what you`ll need in your travels!..Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:17 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
David, can't offer any opinion that hasn't already been addressed...just wanted to welcome you to FiberglassRV!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
Quote:
Hey all.

My question: I have a '95 Jetta with a towing limit of just 1000 pounds but really would love one of the little 13' travel trailers. Is it possible?
I'm in the same position. I have come to the conclusion that I either need a tent trailer (which I don't want), the small A-liner type trailer OR a Eriba Puck. Good luck finding a Puck but the weight would come in about 700 pounds not loaded and that would work for me.
Jan Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:57 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
There's always the Lite House design, currently made by Weis Craft as the "Little Joe". Detailed information is hard to find, but it's quite small, and presumably lighter than most 13' eggs. Search in this forum for "weis craft", "little joe", and "lite house" and there are a few threads of information.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 08:04 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Quote:
I'm in the same position. I have come to the conclusion that I either need a tent trailer (which I don't want), the small A-liner type trailer OR a Eriba Puck. Good luck finding a Puck but the weight would come in about 700 pounds not loaded and that would work for me.
Jan, did you notice the Love Bug that's being auctioned now? It lists the dry weight as 800 pounds, looks really nice, and is located in your state of Ohio!

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:03 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
There's always the Lite House design, currently made by Weis Craft as the "Little Joe".
Weis Craft is presently loading up their trailers with most of the appliances that add weight which people are demanding. If you can get them to custom build a "stripped" version, what "Lite House" used to call a "Base Camp" model, you might get it light enough. That would mean no Fridge, (nor even Ice Box) no Stove, no Heater, no Propane Tank, no Sink, no Water Tank, no Battery... Definately no Air Conditioner...
Old 03-24-2007, 10:54 PM   #9

Trailer: Compact II 1974
Hey All-

Contrary to my initial assumption, my 99 Corolla has a higher towing capacity than the 95 Jetta. I always thought the Jetta seemed sturdier and quicker, with more power on inclines, but it turns out the Corolla has a 1500lb towing limit. With the extra 500 pounds I have all sorts of options and am leaning towards a Scamp or similar 13'.
David Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:37 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...but it turns out the Corolla has a 1500lb towing limit...
I can readily believe that rating, but I suggest a little caution. It is unlikely that the car's limits allow a 1500 lb trailer with much more than the driver in the car. I just went through the process of trying to pin down the real weight limits for a Toyota Matrix (the wagon/hatch version of the Corolla), and still do not have a really clear answer.

It's the same for any vehicle - there's more than one limit in play. In the case of the pickup trucks with huge towing capacity (like 10,000 lb), their towing rating is based on nothing but the driver in the truck - every pound of other passengers or cargo is one less pound of trailer allowed.

While I can believe that the Jetta is quicker than the Corolla, I'll be surprised if I ever see a VW build sturdier than an equivalent Toyota. It could happen...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote