Can we talk Amerigo? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-11-2012, 07:53 AM   #1

Name: Peter
Trailer: 1971 Amerigo
Colorado
Can we talk Amerigo?

What would you pay for a completely redone Amerigo FV-16?

Ok - As you might know I've offered my shell of an Amerigo here in the classifieds and just ran it through eBay to no avail. I get that. It's a total project. I had to strip it out once I found so much rotten wood. The reason I've backed away from it is because I've become averse to doing fiberglass work in my garage. It's just too nasty. The interior build wouldn't be such a big deal.

So...here I am at a crossroads. I could scrap the shell and turn the frame into a decent ATV/Scooter trailer. I have the new Dexter axle for it...it's sandblasted..painted..ready to go. Or I could have the shell work done by a fiberglass shop and then proceed to build it out. I have to believe it'd cost around $2,000 to do the shell - so I'd have around 5 thousand dollars in it when it's done, not counting any of my labor.

In order to justify spending that much it would have to be worth around 8 as a completely finished - totally rebuilt - camper.

Is that realistic or not?

Thanks for any and all opinions.

EDIT: I may have answered my own question. Doing a search in Classifieds I see one was on offer in January. Presented as ready to use with upgrades. Price was dropped to $3,500 - no way to know what finally happened.

Peter
in Denver
Peter_Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Peter, I think it would be a hard sale, especially here in Colorado cause so many whom are looking are looking for bigger, more room for kid's, ATV's, Etc.

But saying that, I hope you find a buyer for the project trailer because I hate to see such a cool old trailer be lost. I wish I had the time to take on a project, I have the room, I have the money, I have the desire............. But time is my enemy!

Have you tried putting the "project trailer" on the Boulder, Western Slope, Pueblo, Springs, Ft Collins, as well as WY craigs list? I wouldn't just place in Denver. People have tunnel vision! Amazing but true!

Let me think on this, I may have more idea's! I remember seeing your Ad but can't remember your asking price. Can you link me to your AD?
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #3

Colorado
I've send a PM so as not to pollute the general forum with classified business.
I'd like to find a home for it rather than dump the shell, but if I can't get the cost of sandblasting and the new axle out of it there really isn't another choice.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #4

Peter I understand, like I said I wish I had the time. Can't believe you haven't had any bites. Hmmmmmm

Well I will put it out there, if someone outta State wants to buy it and needs a place to store it till they can pick it up, I have plenty of room. So all you egg restores, work a deal with Peter and I will store it for you for free till you can pick it up!
Old 04-11-2012, 08:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
What exactly are you trying to sell? There are a bunch of people looking to buy "cherry, turn key" trailers. The type of buyers who only want to buy and then camp. And then there are others who want to completely rebuild a trailer and make it uniquely their own. Don't think you can sell to one group (rebuilders), but get the price of turn key....
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #6

Colorado
You're right.
What I'm trying to determine is whether or not it's worth the expense and effort to take the Amerigo from where it is to a finished turn key camper.
I estimate I'd have about $5,000 in it if I went forward - taking it to ready to use condition.
What I don't know is whether or not it would be worth that or any more than that.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #7

Peter, Since I can't answer that question what I would suggest is talking to some of the people here on the forum that do restorations for a living/hobby etc, See what they would say, if it's worth it.

It's such a cool trailer I think someone would want to buy it restored, but I would have thought someone would have bought it to restore as well. Again, Colorado is such a different market.

Also, can I suggest you advertising it with car club's (it would look so cool being pulled by a vintage car.)

Also, don't know if you have ever heard of Timeless Travel Trailer's in Wheat Ridge? They are a Airstreem restorer, but I did call them when I contemplated restoring an old Casita. They gave me some great idea's for restoration.

Super nice guys! Anyway, not that I am suggesting you use them. But what I am thinking is they may be able to tell you how to determine if you would get your money out of restoring. Grasping at straws here, just hoping someone saves the trailer! Good Luck!
Old 04-11-2012, 10:36 PM   #8

Another thought for you Peter, Are you on Facebook? There are several "trailer" groups on FB. And people adverstise for sales as well as, wanted post! So if you are, let me know and I will send you links to some of the trailer groups.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:32 AM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
First a bit of history: Amerigo was the company that a guy named Stewart Gardner bought back in the early 70's to gain the molded fiberglass technology needed to start building the somewhat revered Sunrader slide-in campers and later, the Sunrader mini-motorhomes on Toyota (and Nissan and a very few GM S-10) chassis. That company was Gardner-Pacific and was located in what was then Vallejo, CA. That said, as a Sunrader nut, I am always interested in anything associated with Gardners many RV companies.
When I first saw your ad I told Myra that "If this was closer I would grab it", but it's not and, without windows and a door, towing it back to SoCal didn't seem safe, much less practical. Down here, where our outside building season is more like 11.5 months long, projects are more practical than in 4 seasons areas and, as a result, projects are easier to consider buying.
As far as value, there is a restored Campster currently on eBay for almost $10,000 and a similar Compact-II did sell there for about $6500 a few weeks back. At this time of year a finished price tag of even $6500 wouldn't seem out of range, but that market will start falling within a few montha and, by the time it was finished you might have to wait until prices go up again next year.
Is that an answer? Nope, but good luck and I hope it is rescued.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #10

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Peter, I would have liked to take the Amerigo off of your hands but I had just bought a Chevy Astro van and my wife only lets me buy one toy a year.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
It would be very sad to scrap a fiberglass trailer shell just to use the frame for something else ....
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
amerigo