Can you expect to pay MSRP for Scamp trailers? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-27-2015, 11:58 PM   #1

Name: Quacky
Trailer: In the market
California
Can you expect to pay MSRP for Scamp trailers?

Does anyone know if it's standard to pay MSRP since they're a factory direct seller?

Thanks!
QuackyMcBeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:09 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Being that they can't make them fast enough and after ordering one it takes months to get it delivery..... I would venture to say that the MSRP is what you're going to pay.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:40 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
It's not a suggested price (Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price). It is the price.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:58 AM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
In principle, any price is negotiable (exchange of goods and money between two consenting parties), but I do not think it would get you anywhere in these cases.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:35 AM   #5

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
As a "manufacturer" I am in a similar situation. I sell all the toys I can make. Rarely, I will offer something like 5% off if someone buys multiple toys. One could order 3 or 4 trailers and might save a few dollars. Like my toys, these trailers are a good value and you get what you pay for. Stickies are not in the same league and their manufacturers know it, so expect large discounts. I make toys for generations, so do fiberglass RV manufacturers. Consider each trailer's resale value for an indication of real value. Thankfully you will be pleased with your fiberglass RV whatever you pay. And if you don't know if the RV lifestyle is your cup of tea or you change your mind you can get all your money back in a year or two on craigslist.

OTOH- Many Americans aren't really interested in quality or longevity. Consider the offerings at the local mall. So think carefully about your values before pulling the trigger. Clearly the malls do far better than Scamp, Casita, etc or me. Many folks find great satisfaction in short lived merchandise. Its kinda the American way these days. People posting on Fiberglass RV are a bit out of step and think differently. God love them.
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:13 AM   #6

Name: Quacky
Trailer: In the market
California
Good info, thanks everybody!
QuackyMcBeebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:28 AM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I don't think any of us tried to get more than the standard discount for the options that Scamp offers...
Why don't you get a quote from Scamp, then offer them 10 % less and see if they bite. Its getting to be the slow season so who knows.
We would all love to hear about it.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:33 AM   #8

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuackyMcBeebster View Post
Does anyone know if it's standard to pay MSRP since they're a factory direct seller?

Thanks!
Hi: QuackyMcBeebster... I've never regretted any money spent on a vintage fiberglass trailer (Boler), a nearly new trailer (Escape 5.0), and finally a new trailer (Escape 5.0TA). Buying used there might be wiggle room on the price. New the price is the price. Laws of supply and demand applied!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:13 AM   #9

Name: Bill & Jeanie
Trailer: Building camper in Ram Promaster van
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Being that they can't make them fast enough and after ordering one it takes months to get it delivery..... I would venture to say that the MSRP is what you're going to pay.
I realize it's slightly off subject, but this post motivated me to look at the Scamp web site. Does anyone know the details as to how they manage to achieve an amazing R15 of insulation (standard feature) on all of their models?

13' Economical & Light Weight Travel Trailers - Scamp Trailers
wbullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:25 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbullivant View Post
I realize it's slightly off subject, but this post motivated me to look at the Scamp web site. Does anyone know the details as to how they manage to achieve an amazing R15 of insulation (standard feature) on all of their models?
Majority view is that they probably don't. See this thread for one of many discussions:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ies-71044.html

I think they may be going off some outdated manufacturer claims (they've been using this stuff a long time) and possibly some faulty assumptions about how it performs when installed without the airspace specified by the manufacturer.

Nevertheless, marine headliner over foil bubble wrap makes a simple, comfortable, and durable shell lining that is sufficient for extended season use. I'd take the R-value, like dry weight, with a grain of salt and move on.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:26 AM   #11

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbullivant View Post

13' Economical & Light Weight Travel Trailers - Scamp Trailers
Slightly off topic?

Regarding your question, please see this thread. I guess the rat fur adds a little insulation value also, but I think the consensus is that it is not R-15, and the windows negate much of the insulation anyway.

Da*n Jon! you beat me by ONE minute.. I really need to take typing lessons
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:31 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Or, could be a misplaced decimal point. ( .15 ).
Old 08-28-2015, 11:44 AM   #13

Name: Dennis
Trailer: 16' Scamp
Georgia
disappointed in Scamp

I had a 1999 13' Scamp that I'd bought used in 2001. It was good.

Then in 2008 I bought a NEW 16' Scamp, and it has been a disappointment. Several poor workmanship "fit & finish" issues. No "show stoppers" but several pains in the butt. Given an alternative I would NOT buy another Scamp Fiberglass RV trailer.
dkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:09 PM   #14

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
We purchased our 13' Scamp, basic model, in 2011 with a few custom additions and have had a ball camping with it. We never regretted paying full price as it was just what we wanted and didn't have to deal with someone else's maintenance issues. It's not perfect but it was a good value.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:16 PM   #15

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkas View Post
I had a 1999 13' Scamp that I'd bought used in 2001. It was good.

Then in 2008 I bought a NEW 16' Scamp, and it has been a disappointment. Several poor workmanship "fit & finish" issues. No "show stoppers" but several pains in the butt. Given an alternative I would NOT buy another Scamp Fiberglass RV trailer.
I guess I would not buy another one either, Mine's eleven years old and still perfect... I don't expect to ever need another one!

BTW, I have never paid even close to invoice for a car or asking price for a house, but I tried to negotiate on my Scamp and didn't get far. Still... it is just about the best deal I have ever made.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp