Canada trip - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2018, 03:37 PM   #1

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Canada trip

We are planning a trip to Canada this summer. Passport cards are in hand but am wondering about two things Auto insurance , and medical coverage. Norma and I currently have Medicare and AARP supplemental in effect Any help would be appreciated. Lee and Norma,
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:05 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
What a coincidence.. I just got my "Canada Non-Resident Inter-Province MV Liability Insurance Card" from my agent yesterday. I was under the impression that the card was not required, but it was advised. My agent seemed to think I needed it. It is in English and French and says I have the required coverage in every province of Canada.

Minimum liability coverage is required of course (card or not) but my insurance and perhaps most , if not all, include that coverage as a standard feature.

Anyway, call your Auto Insurance company or Agent and they will take care of getting you want you need.

I can't help with the medical end however.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:11 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
You need to have a Canadian insurance card for both your TV and trailer (two cards), your US provider can give you one if you ask.

Be sure to have all prescriptions in the original bottles or a copy of the prescription.

You will need a recent health certificate on any pet you take with you.

Lots of restrictions on food.

Realize if you go to Canada, you have a minimum of TWO border crossings. One into Canada, and one back into the US. Both have rules! On our upcoming trip to Alaska, we will have SIX border crossings. You never know which one will take the longest and be the most involved. They have the right to go through every single container/drawer/storage bin in your TV and trailer. I tend to figure border days will be short mileage days.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:49 PM   #4

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
You need to have a Canadian insurance card for both your TV and trailer (two cards), your US provider can give you one if you ask...
Can you provide a link to a Canadian governmental web site that documents the insurance requirement for the trailer? In the US of course, generally no insurance at all is required for the trailer apart from the tow vehicle's coverage.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:57 PM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
medical insurance coverage while out of country

Lee, your medical insurance coverage while out of country will depend on your particular policy. You will need to check with your insurer.

We recently vacationed in Italy and determined our medical insurance coverage in advance by checking with our insurance company.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:05 PM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Can you provide a link to a Canadian governmental web site that documents the insurance requirement for the trailer? In the US of course, generally no insurance at all is required for the trailer apart from the tow vehicle's coverage.

I can't speak to the requirements for US citizens in Canada, but in Alberta, Canada, there are no requirements for insurance on a trailer. One slightly higher then $100 (cdn) life time registration fee, and I am done. Since I have towed my uninsured trailer from BC to Ontario, I have to guess that it is not required for an Alberta resident anywhere in Canada. But I really am just guessing.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:13 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I can't speak to the requirements for US citizens in Canada, but in Alberta, Canada, there are no requirements for insurance on a trailer. One slightly higher then $100 (cdn) life time registration fee, and I am done. Since I have towed my uninsured trailer from BC to Ontario, I have to guess that it is not required for an Alberta resident anywhere in Canada. But I really am just guessing.

I have $3 million liability insurance on my trailer - $5 million on the tow vehicle. If your trailer somehow causes injury to another party, you will be sued for damages and will need that insurance.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:18 PM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
If you have an umbrella (broad) liability policy as I do, look into whether it provides coverage when out of country. My umbrella liability policy is provided by the same company that insures my autos, and the two policies are coordinated.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:26 PM   #9

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Michigan View Post
If you have an umbrella (broad) liability policy as I do, look into whether it provides coverage when out of country. My umbrella liability policy is provided by the same company that insures my autos, and the two policies are coordinated.
Same here.. Auto, Home, and Umbrella liability all from the same company with a separate comp policy from Progressive for the camper. IMHO, Umbrella liability policies should be obtained in an amount based on a risk assessment and in proportion to your net worth.

But the question here is about insurance (and documents) needed for for a summer trip to Canada. So call your agent.

The topic of suggested insurance coverage over the minimum is a debate we could have for years.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:23 PM   #10

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I have $3 million liability insurance on my trailer - $5 million on the tow vehicle. If your trailer somehow causes injury to another party, you will be sued for damages and will need that insurance.
As I understand it, when the trailer is hooked up to my car, it is covered by my automobile liability insurance. When it is parked on my property, it is covered under my house insurance.

I suppose there are circumstances that I would not be covered, but none come to mind.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:29 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
As I understand it, when the trailer is hooked up to my car, it is covered by my automobile liability insurance. When it is parked on my property, it is covered under my house insurance.

I suppose there are circumstances that I would not be covered, but none come to mind.

Best read your policies. My trailer is not covered by the vehicle insurance in BC.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:45 PM   #12

Name: Rod
Trailer: Scamp 16 Std Layout 4
West Virginia
So we're all going to Canada this year, eh! Jane and I hope to get to Nova Scotia in September so we're also checking in with our insurers, phone providers, credit card folks, etc. Our auto insurance agent first thought we would need a "Canadian" card, but called back to advise that Safeco says our "regular" card is good as long as we can show proof of ownership (hopefully that means our registration cards for both TV and TT). Haven't heard back yet on health insurance, but Consumer Cellular is also good to go (although there will be some extra charges when I connect to the internet). Still listening to all the other comments here though, as I always learn something new.
Rod D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:49 PM   #13

Name: Rod
Trailer: Scamp 16 Std Layout 4
West Virginia
Forgot to note that our auto policy covers both Santa Fe and Scamp when together or parked separately at a campground or at home. The Scamp was just added to the policy for a very small additional fee. It does seem that every state has different coverage.
Rod D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:08 PM   #14

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod D View Post
So we're all going to Canada this year, eh!

... but Consumer Cellular is also good to go (although there will be some extra charges when I connect to the internet). ...
Yes it seems we all are headed north!

I hate to go even further off topic, so I apologize in advance.

But I understood that my Consumer Cellular phone would NOT work in Canada and was designed that way to prevent unexpected charges.

This site says:
Our customers also don’t have a roaming problem. They are never charged a roaming fee for domestic U.S. usage, and that includes Alaska and Hawaii. And their Consumer Cellular phone will not work beyond the U.S. borders, thus protecting them from any outrageous international roaming fees, which are mostly unregulated and can vary widely.

Did you have to authorize coverage in Canada?

I was just planning on not having cell phone coverage in Canada.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:21 PM   #15

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
No I could be wrong. But at the same time, I just asked State Farm for both cards, at the same time, so it was no more trouble getting two versus one.

On phone service, I have Page Plus and they use Verizon's network. What little research I have done thus far shows minimal coverage on most of the main Alcan as well as Alaska.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:33 PM   #16

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Quote:

You are unhooking at your favorite sloping campsite. For some reason you remove the chains first, and forget to chock the wheels. Trailer runs backwards down the slope, over the road.......
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:50 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
You need to have a Canadian insurance card for both your TV and trailer (two cards), your US provider can give you one if you ask.

Be sure to have all prescriptions in the original bottles or a copy of the prescription.

You will need a recent health certificate on any pet you take with you.

Lots of restrictions on food.
I have never heard of needing a Canadian insurance card, I certainly don't going to the US.

For pets going both ways, proof of up to date rabies shots are all that are needed. Our dog is 10 years old now, and has never needed any vaccination boosters.

Food yeah, and it seems to change daily as far as what is allowed. We just take the minimal and buy locally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Best read your policies. My trailer is not covered by the vehicle insurance in BC.
Kinda the same here. My only coverage for a trailer while towing is the liability should I be involved in an accident with someone else, which is covered by the vehicle. This does not cover the trailer for damage or loss. If I was willing to gamble on losing the trailer in an accident, I do not need coverage for it.

I think when at home all that is covered by the house insurance are the contents, but I am not positive on this.

On my trailer I carry full replacement value insurance. Well worth it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:51 PM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
But I understood that my Consumer Cellular phone would NOT work in Canada and was designed that way to prevent unexpected charges.
Quote:
On phone service, I have Page Plus and they use Verizon's network. What little research I have done thus far shows minimal coverage on most of the main Alcan as well as Alaska.
We also have phones on Page Plus, which operates as an MVNO* on the Verizon system. Our phones are set to not roam in Canada, which I understand is apparently a good thing as one can apparently accrue some high roaming charges.

I understand that one approach is to get a different SIM card for a Canadian cellular system so that you have economical service. I have not looked into this approach deeply yet so can't speak to any of the details.

*MVNO = mobile virtual network operator.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 07:56 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
For cell phone coverage, I opted for a plan here in Canada for both our phones that gives us 12 gigabytes combined per month, and unlimited calls and texts in both Canada and the US. I have also dumped our home and business line saving way more than I pay for the two cell phones and plans. We find that 12G of data is sufficient for a fair bit of use.

Outside of Canada and the US I do pay $6/day for a maximum 10 days per billing cycle to get the same benefits.

I would bet something like that exists in the US.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 08:10 PM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I would bet something like that exists in the US.
Okay, Jim, you made me look!

Apparently Page Plus provides a $10 USD credit for international calling with most of the monthly Page Plus plans, and a $9 supplemental card can also be purchased for more minutes. However this does not facilitate roaming as calls must originate from the US.

To use international calling, dial access code 212-202-6521 and press Send, wait for the prompt, then dial 011 + country code + city code + phone number. For Canada, Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands, use "1" instead of 011 or +.

Calls are billed in one-minute increments and must originate from the US. International roaming not allowed. Balance expires at the end of your service cycle.

Ouch, my brain's already hurting! This also did not address texts and data, so it looks like I'll have to learn even more...

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote