Canadian credit cards at U.S. gas pumps - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2010, 03:39 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft (B19)
Canadian credit cards at U.S. gas pumps

I have just read in a magazine that when asked for zip code at US gas pumps, if the three numbers in our Canadian Postal codes followed by two zeros are entered then the card will be accepted. Can anyone verify this?Having to go into the gas station and leave wallet,credit card, cash or wife as security is a bit of a pain.
TonyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:52 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2023 RAV4 Trail
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
I have just read in a magazine that when asked for zip code at US gas pumps, if the three numbers in our Canadian Postal codes followed by two zeros are entered then the card will be accepted. Can anyone verify this?Having to go into the gas station and leave wallet,credit card, cash or wife as security is a bit of a pain.
Yes, and No! Down in FL, I have been successful with Amex at 7-11s on several occasions, using that code. However, not everywhere and not every card!
I have also used 99 and 55 as the last 2 digits. I just try a few times with different techniques and, if not, leave for another station, or go and leave my card till I'm full.
However, some places WON'T let you fill up, but you have to specify the dollar value of the gas desired. Still a pain when it doesn't work.
Mike.
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:06 PM   #3

Trailer: 1978 Boler 13 ft
Hi Micheal I see your in Ptang !! how do!!
Ann B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pupeza View Post
Yes, and No! Down in FL, I have been successful with Amex at 7-11s on several occasions, using that code. However, not everywhere and not every card!
I have also used 99 and 55 as the last 2 digits. I just try a few times with different techniques and, if not, leave for another station, or go and leave my card till I'm full.
However, some places WON'T let you fill up, but you have to specify the dollar value of the gas desired. Still a pain when it doesn't work.
Mike.
I used to look for Exxon stations as they generally didn't require a zip/postal code but then found some that did.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #5

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
When they first started asking, I got by a few times with 91210...but the robots running the pumps caught on :-(
Most gas stations up and down the I75 corridor now allow a pre-paid authorization ...say, $50...and then issue an actual amount after the fill-up. I NEVER leave my card with anyone...EVER!!!
Dave Hunter's book...Along I75...outlines which gas pumps accept Cdn credit cards. Dang! I bought the last year's edition which doesn't have that info.
Happy snowbirding!
Alistair & Inge in the Road Toad....heading south (again) in Jan,
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:04 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Most Exxon/Mobil stations now look for a zipcode, at least in our travels.
Inside, you'll always get assistance.
Everyone likes money/cards. Our cards spend well in Europe, New Zealand, Australia, and Canada.
Just never let your tank get toooo low. A few places we've visited did not have real-time internet, and were suspect of foreign cards. I can understand that.

Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:37 AM   #7

Trailer: 2010 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Registry
US card use in Canada?

How about using US cards in Canada. Any problems that way?
WtMtJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WtMtJim View Post
How about using US cards in Canada. Any problems that way?
No pumps locally(Southern Ontario) that I know of ask for postal/zip code.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:42 AM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
If you think it's a major problem or you are concerned about identity theft while traveling, perhaps getting a pre-paid debit card is the answer. They're not free, small charge to purchase and load cash, but it may be cheap insurance and give peace of mind.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:21 AM   #10

Registry
Donna, I'm not too concerned about ID theft, etc, but we are planning on traveling thru Alberta, BC & Yukon on way to Alaska next year and am more concerned about the inconvenience of US credit cards not being accepted in Canada. Also, I recall reading somewhere that when you get ready to travel in Canada that you should call your credit card company for each card you plan to use and let them know you are going to be using it in Canada. Anybody experience that? Is that really necessary? I really don't want to futz with a lot of cash and doing the exchange thing just for two or three weeks while in Canada. Those of you who have traveled thru Canada to Alaska - what's been your experience?
Old 12-22-2010, 10:31 AM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool My experience may be out-of-date

Back in 1998 Robert and I drove through Canada entering at Sault St. Marie, driving through Sudbury and Barrie to reach Toronto. We neglected to exchange currency, but our credit cards worked just fine.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:00 AM   #12

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Dick & Joanne
Quote:
Donna, I'm not too concerned about ID theft, etc, but we are planning on traveling thru Alberta, BC & Yukon on way to Alaska next year and am more concerned about the inconvenience of US credit cards not being accepted in Canada. Also, I recall reading somewhere that when you get ready to travel in Canada that you should call your credit card company for each card you plan to use and let them know you are going to be using it in Canada. Anybody experience that? Is that really necessary? I really don't want to futz with a lot of cash and doing the exchange thing just for two or three weeks while in Canada. Those of you who have traveled thru Canada to Alaska - what's been your experience?
My experience: Discover cards don't work in Canada and my VISA provider called after the first Canadian charge to verify it was me. I called before I left on my last trip and had no problems.

Dick
Dick & Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:26 PM   #13

Trailer: 19 ft Escape 5.0
I have NEVER experienced a problem with US cards in Canada, and I've been traveling in Canada for the previous 3 summers. I do however call my credit card companies and let them know of my travel areas, and keep up with my charges online. Not a Discover card carrier, so no experience with that one.
Dayna C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:25 PM   #14

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
We traveled around Lake Huron this past summer and called ahead to alert the credit card folks in the U.S. We had trouble with only Chase, who put our account on hold even though we had contacted them ahead of time. They only called our HOME number to verify we were traveling after the first charge, even though they had my cell number. Makes sense... people are traveling, so call their home number?

Also, our Chase Bank debit card only worked at ATMs where they had PLUS service. Most of the ATMs on Manitoulin Island didn't have this, so we could only use one specific ATM (20 miles from where we were staying). The folks at a local gift shop told us to find a Bank of Montreal ATM, since they accommodate PLUS users.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:28 PM   #15

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
to my Canadian travellers, log in to Dave Hunter's website ( if you don't have his latest edition of " Along Interstate 75"...and go to Interstate-75 and Florida Driving Information - Welcome Dave has a list of all the gas stations which accept Canadian Visa / Mastercards at the 'pay-at-the-pump'
Also lists the ones which don't accept them (Pilot!!!).He also has some other strategies for dealing with the pump ganiffs.
Alistair & Inge in The Road Toad (heading down I75 in 22 days :>)
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair Camelford View Post
to my Canadian travellers, log in to Dave Hunter's website ( if you don't have his latest edition of " Along Interstate 75"...and go to Interstate-75 and Florida Driving Information - Welcome Dave has a list of all the gas stations which accept Canadian Visa / Mastercards at the 'pay-at-the-pump'
Also lists the ones which don't accept them (Pilot!!!).He also has some other strategies for dealing with the pump ganiffs.
Alistair & Inge in The Road Toad (heading down I75 in 22 days :>)
I checked out the list of gas stations accepting our cards (or not), it will be very useful thanks for the link.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:17 AM   #17

Registry
Alistair, Help! I poked all around the web-site you listed and I can't find a list of gas stations anywhere. How about more specific directions. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place. Seems Tony found it OK. Guess I'm internet challenged today!
Old 12-23-2010, 07:39 AM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Alistair, Help! I poked all around the web-site you listed and I can't find a list of gas stations anywhere. How about more specific directions. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place. Seems Tony found it OK. Guess I'm internet challenged today!
Jim, is this what you're looking for?
non-US Credit Cards not accepted

I found it on the home page > On the Road.. Useful Links > Non U.S. Visitors - Credit Card with no Zip Code > Click here for further information about this problem, and some possible "work-arounds." > Click here to see a list of gas stations (by state and route) that DO or DO NOT accept Canadian (or other non-US) Visa/Mastercards at their pumps.

Sometimes this stuff is REALLY buried.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:12 AM   #19

Registry
Thanks Donna. I now realize my mistake. Alistair's helpful link is for US stations that don't accept Canadian credit cards. I was thinking it was a list of Canadian stations that don't accept US cards. Since I will be traveling north next year that's what my pea brain was expecting. My fault for not reading carefully. I'll go back to sleep now!
Old 12-23-2010, 10:50 AM   #20

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Don't think you will have any issues purchasing anything in Canada using a major US credit card such as Visa, Master Card or Amex from the US providing you tell them ahead of time you are traveling.

Donna suggestion of using a Debit Card is intreasting as that is the only card that I have troubles using when I travel in the US. Here debit cards are pretty well the norm and I use mine daily for pretty well everything. I don't know of a store that doesn't take them here. Here they are attached to your bank account so the money comes directly out of your bank account. When I try and use it in the USA its been the norm to be told at the store they don't take Debit cards and only Credit Cards. Funny thing is the card is issued by an big international bank and has a chip and I have used it without a problem in many places in the world. I have rarely though been able to actually use it in the USA . Most of the time the store clerk doesn't even seem to know what a Debit card is. The card does work at bank machines in the US though if I want cash, so I know the US Banks themselves except them and trust them. It has often wondered about that. Are debit cards not that popular in the USA? My experence with trying to use it has been limited to the US West Coast. When it happens I am left to wonder if the US banks are forcing people to use Credit in the US to make their percentage rather than allowing you to use your own money? Might explain the economics of why so many people are carring a high dedit rate in the US. Can anyone shed some light on what the real story on the daily use of Debit Cards in the US is?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote