Canadian credit cards at U.S. gas pumps - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-20-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
Member
 
TonyB's Avatar
 
Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft (B19)
Posts: 53
Canadian credit cards at U.S. gas pumps

I have just read in a magazine that when asked for zip code at US gas pumps, if the three numbers in our Canadian Postal codes followed by two zeros are entered then the card will be accepted. Can anyone verify this?Having to go into the gas station and leave wallet,credit card, cash or wife as security is a bit of a pain.
__________________

__________________
TonyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:52 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2011 Toyota Sienna
Ontario
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
I have just read in a magazine that when asked for zip code at US gas pumps, if the three numbers in our Canadian Postal codes followed by two zeros are entered then the card will be accepted. Can anyone verify this?Having to go into the gas station and leave wallet,credit card, cash or wife as security is a bit of a pain.
Yes, and No! Down in FL, I have been successful with Amex at 7-11s on several occasions, using that code. However, not everywhere and not every card!
I have also used 99 and 55 as the last 2 digits. I just try a few times with different techniques and, if not, leave for another station, or go and leave my card till I'm full.
However, some places WON'T let you fill up, but you have to specify the dollar value of the gas desired. Still a pain when it doesn't work.
Mike.
__________________

__________________
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:06 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Ann B's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1978 Boler 13 ft
Ontario
Posts: 178
Hi Micheal I see your in Ptang !! how do!!
__________________
Ann B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:10 PM   #4
Member
 
TonyB's Avatar
 
Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft (B19)
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pupeza View Post
Yes, and No! Down in FL, I have been successful with Amex at 7-11s on several occasions, using that code. However, not everywhere and not every card!
I have also used 99 and 55 as the last 2 digits. I just try a few times with different techniques and, if not, leave for another station, or go and leave my card till I'm full.
However, some places WON'T let you fill up, but you have to specify the dollar value of the gas desired. Still a pain when it doesn't work.
Mike.
I used to look for Exxon stations as they generally didn't require a zip/postal code but then found some that did.
__________________
TonyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Alistair Camelford's Avatar
 
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
Posts: 265
When they first started asking, I got by a few times with 91210...but the robots running the pumps caught on :-(
Most gas stations up and down the I75 corridor now allow a pre-paid authorization ...say, $50...and then issue an actual amount after the fill-up. I NEVER leave my card with anyone...EVER!!!
Dave Hunter's book...Along I75...outlines which gas pumps accept Cdn credit cards. Dang! I bought the last year's edition which doesn't have that info.
Happy snowbirding!
Alistair & Inge in the Road Toad....heading south (again) in Jan,
__________________
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:04 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Posts: 878
Registry
Most Exxon/Mobil stations now look for a zipcode, at least in our travels.
Inside, you'll always get assistance.
Everyone likes money/cards. Our cards spend well in Europe, New Zealand, Australia, and Canada.
Just never let your tank get toooo low. A few places we've visited did not have real-time internet, and were suspect of foreign cards. I can understand that.

Sherry
__________________
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:37 AM   #7
Member
 
WtMtJim's Avatar
 
Name: Jim
Trailer: 2010 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Posts: 80
Registry
US card use in Canada?

How about using US cards in Canada. Any problems that way?
__________________
WtMtJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:02 AM   #8
Member
 
TonyB's Avatar
 
Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft (B19)
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by WtMtJim View Post
How about using US cards in Canada. Any problems that way?
No pumps locally(Southern Ontario) that I know of ask for postal/zip code.
__________________
TonyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:42 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,433
If you think it's a major problem or you are concerned about identity theft while traveling, perhaps getting a pre-paid debit card is the answer. They're not free, small charge to purchase and load cash, but it may be cheap insurance and give peace of mind.
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:21 AM   #10
Member
 
WtMtJim's Avatar
 
Name: Jim
Trailer: 2010 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Posts: 80
Registry
Donna, I'm not too concerned about ID theft, etc, but we are planning on traveling thru Alberta, BC & Yukon on way to Alaska next year and am more concerned about the inconvenience of US credit cards not being accepted in Canada. Also, I recall reading somewhere that when you get ready to travel in Canada that you should call your credit card company for each card you plan to use and let them know you are going to be using it in Canada. Anybody experience that? Is that really necessary? I really don't want to futz with a lot of cash and doing the exchange thing just for two or three weeks while in Canada. Those of you who have traveled thru Canada to Alaska - what's been your experience?
__________________
WtMtJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:31 AM   #11
Moderator
 
Frederick L. Simson's Avatar
 
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Posts: 8,151
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool My experience may be out-of-date

Back in 1998 Robert and I drove through Canada entering at Sault St. Marie, driving through Sudbury and Barrie to reach Toronto. We neglected to exchange currency, but our credit cards worked just fine.
__________________
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:00 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Name: Dick
Trailer: Escape
Virginia
Posts: 176
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Dick & Joanne
Quote:
Originally Posted by WtMtJim View Post
Donna, I'm not too concerned about ID theft, etc, but we are planning on traveling thru Alberta, BC & Yukon on way to Alaska next year and am more concerned about the inconvenience of US credit cards not being accepted in Canada. Also, I recall reading somewhere that when you get ready to travel in Canada that you should call your credit card company for each card you plan to use and let them know you are going to be using it in Canada. Anybody experience that? Is that really necessary? I really don't want to futz with a lot of cash and doing the exchange thing just for two or three weeks while in Canada. Those of you who have traveled thru Canada to Alaska - what's been your experience?
My experience: Discover cards don't work in Canada and my VISA provider called after the first Canadian charge to verify it was me. I called before I left on my last trip and had no problems.

Dick
__________________
Dick & Joanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:26 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Trailer: 19 ft Escape 5.0
Posts: 5
I have NEVER experienced a problem with US cards in Canada, and I've been traveling in Canada for the previous 3 summers. I do however call my credit card companies and let them know of my travel areas, and keep up with my charges online. Not a Discover card carrier, so no experience with that one.
__________________
Dayna C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:25 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Posts: 1,115
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
We traveled around Lake Huron this past summer and called ahead to alert the credit card folks in the U.S. We had trouble with only Chase, who put our account on hold even though we had contacted them ahead of time. They only called our HOME number to verify we were traveling after the first charge, even though they had my cell number. Makes sense... people are traveling, so call their home number?

Also, our Chase Bank debit card only worked at ATMs where they had PLUS service. Most of the ATMs on Manitoulin Island didn't have this, so we could only use one specific ATM (20 miles from where we were staying). The folks at a local gift shop told us to find a Bank of Montreal ATM, since they accommodate PLUS users.
__________________

__________________
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just gas or gas/electric water heater? Feedback wanted. Bryan L. Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 15 09-15-2010 10:11 AM
Fiberglass RV Christmas cards Vickie B. General Chat 4 09-12-2009 09:27 AM
Air Cards Gina D. General Chat 21 02-11-2006 06:22 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.