Canadians: Should I fear them? - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #121

Name: Josie&Craig
Trailer: Escape 21
South Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Beautifully performed(by Cohen), abysmally conceived!
Leonard writes some wicked amazing music...I particularly like "Dance Me to the End of Love" and "Chelsea Hotel #2". His lyrics are real and, like life, not always pretty.They speak to a hidden part of most of us.

His voice eventually grew on me thanks to a Scots friend who kept sending me links. So, I'll not say anythink other than it's sort of like learning to eat scallops...sometimes I like them...sometimes I don't.

Carol...I usually skip opening and closing day....that time I was damned glad I didn't. In fact, loved how the Canadians handled both and was not sorry we tuned in.

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
2yax2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:36 PM   #122

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Unhappy The dreaded word is in the first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Well, we made it into the 73rd post before the humour gave way to yet another tedious gun control discussion. Time to shut down the thread...
Au contraire. If you read the 1st post, that stated the "gun" thing.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #123

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

True, true...but I thought that hazard only became a Threat to America(ns) if it was brought back across the border.

Aren't returning Americans put through the Showers of Thought-Cleansing before they're allowed back in from Canada???

Francesca
Apparently not.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #124

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2yax2go View Post
Leonard writes some wicked amazing music...I particularly like "Dance Me to the End of Love" and "Chelsea Hotel #2". His lyrics are real and, like life, not always pretty.They speak to a hidden part of most of us.

His voice eventually grew on me thanks to a Scots friend who kept sending me links. So, I'll not say anythink other than it's sort of like learning to eat scallops...sometimes I like them...sometimes I don't.

Carol...I usually skip opening and closing day....that time I was damned glad I didn't. In fact, loved how the Canadians handled both and was not sorry we tuned in.

You can see that I have already withdrawn my hastily written comment, for fear that it may itself be misunderstood.

Cohen's work is very visceral and deserves a lot of consideration before interpreting the spirit of it...
Only God can truly observe the heart. I defer to His better judgement on that count, Hallelujah
Old 02-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #125

South Carolina
Registry
Quote:
You can see that I have already withdrawn my hastily written comment, for fear that it may be itself misunderstood.

Cohen's work is very viceral and deserves a lot of consideration before interpreting the spirit of it...
Only God can truly observe the heart. I defer to better judgement on that count, Hallelujah
Floyd...I personally did not take offense and hope you didn't take my reply as something negative because of what you wrote. My intent was to indicate that his music makes me feel something despite the fact that I don't always like the "sound" of his voice. (Heathen that I am I also don't always care for the vocals of Johnny Cash or Kris Kristoferson, though I "get" the lyrics)

You are, howsumever, correct in that he was not well received in the US back in the day. That may be different now as some of us have "aged" and experienced life.

Only my opinion and, as Donna says, "your mileage may vary".

"Not all those who wander are lost." (J.R.R. Tolkein from Lord of the Rings..."Strider's Poem")
Old 02-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #126

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
You can see that I have already withdrawn my hastily written comment, for fear that it may itself be misunderstood.
Nothing to fear from us Canadian's Floyd! But you should fear us if you happen to be in town and are wearing a US hockey jersey during any International hockey tournament. Never let it be said that we are not patriotic and dont fly our flag high! We do but we only tend to do so at the real important world events!

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #127

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
My wife can not stand Leonard Cohen, which is unfortunate, because I am a HUGE fan. I can certainly understand why he is not everyone's cup of tea. Even Leonard gets it. When he won the Juno Award for Male Vocalist of the Year, in his acceptance speech he said "Only in Canada"
CBC Digital Archives - Leonard Cohen: Canada's Melancholy Bard - Canada honours Cohen
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #128

South Carolina
Registry
Ah, yes, Carol....party central.

I recall watching that game and even so my guys lost in the end...it was a hellluvva game and I celebrated right along with you.

Y'all were smashing and celebrations were definitely in order.

And, on that note, I'm off to home cooked din-din with my 87 year old mother-in-law. (cuz yanno we're starving for good food out here in the boonies of the campground at Ft. de Soto. )

Old 02-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #129

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Nothing to fear from us Canadian's Floyd! But you should fear us if you happen to be in town and are wearing a US hockey jersey during any International hockey tournament. Never let it be said that we are not patriotic and dont fly our flag high! We do but we only tend to do so at the real important world events!

Seriously.... Until I moved north as a child I thought "hockey" was something the dog left in the yard.
Image my surprise when I was told there was a "hockey" game coming on TV!
Old 02-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #130

Registry
Quote:
Seriously.... Until I moved north as a child I thought "hockey" was something the dog left in the yard.
Image my surprise when I was told there was a "hockey" game coming on TV!
Did you actually get to see a hockey game or was it just a big brawl on ice ?
Old 02-26-2013, 03:51 PM   #131

Registry
Quote:
Did you actually get to see a hockey game or was it just a big brawl on ice ?
Let's just say I still think that Icing is for cakes.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:34 PM   #132

Registry
Oh and BTW even the US President doesnt think Canadian's are scary or boggy-men.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #133

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
My wife can not stand Leonard Cohen, which is unfortunate, because I am a HUGE fan
Too bad, I have been a fan for almost 40 years now. Not only of his music, but of his poetry too. At his recent concert he did a poem that was a great recitation.

My wife is not a huge fan, but does like him, and went with me because she knows how much I am a fan.

After all, I went to Bruce Springsteen with her, and actually had a great time.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:25 PM   #134

Name: rick
Trailer: 1999 casita spirit deluxe 17 foot
Ontario
Dont for get about our huge MOSQUITOS
greendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #135

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2yax2go View Post
So...can I mention KD Lang?

Her rendition of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" for the opening of the 2010 Winter Olympics was nothing short of amazing.

And I thought it was moulded fibreglas.

Actually I'm not so sure KD is Canadian. She sings "learned how to shoot somebody..." Sounds very American to me.
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #136

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by greendragon View Post
Dont for get about our huge MOSQUITOS
Oh yea those indeed they are something to fear!!! So lets not tell them in what provinces they will or will not find them, we want to keep them on high alert while visiting all of the country.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #137

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I fear no Canadian (not even those deadly, man-eating geese). But the thought of the border crossing makes me nervous! Guess I'll stay south of the border most of the time. Eh.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #138

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I fear no Canadian (not even those deadly, man-eating geese). But the thought of the border crossing makes me nervous! Guess I'll stay south of the border most of the time. Eh.
Ironically, I find the border guards on the US side much less pleasant than on the Canadian side. I'm only 30 minutes from Windsor, but I haven't been to Canada in years.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:16 PM   #139

Registry
Quote:
Oh and BTW even the US President doesnt think Canadian's are scary or boggy-men.

Hey! One threat at a time please!
Old 02-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #140

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...What's to fear from a Nation who thinks sport is sliding great chunks of granite up and down a sheet of ice...all the while sweeping like crazy to clean the house eh!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote