Canadians technically now need an international driving permit to get behind the whee - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #21

Name: Vic
Trailer: 1973 Boler
Alberta
That's just a sign of things to come. It's the same pod thing up here as well. Just another money grab.
Vic.
vics454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:25 AM   #22

Name: Vic
Trailer: 1973 Boler
Alberta
Fred what are the two of you up to this weekend.

Vic.
vics454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #23

Name: Rocky
Trailer: Shopping
New York
Oddly enough "There is no "official" language for the United States, although some individual states list English as their official language".

USA.gov: * Official Language of the U.S.

However

"English is the official language of the State of Florida."

Statutes & Constitution :Constitution : Online Sunshine

Rocky Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #24

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
While the country of Canada does have two official languages French and English, it up to each province as to whether or not they officially adopt the same. So far only New Brunswick and the 3 Territories have actually done so. Quebec as mentioned is French only. None of the other 8 provinces have officially declared either English or French as its official language, but English is the de facto language of provincial and Territories government level operations in Canada (other than in Quebec) so service levels in French vary from one province to another and within parts of the provinces themselves.

What it all means is that on a day to day bases for those outside of Quebec is that Federal Government conducts their biz in both languages and anything you receive from them will be in both languages and all consumer goods sold are labeled in both languages and you will need to take a number of years of french in school. Other than that in BC for example most adults only get a refresher course in French off their cereal boxes each morning or when they receive a letter from their local Member of Parliament.

now back to the topic at hand. On Tuesday the The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles issued a statement:

"During the 2012 legislative session, the Florida Legislature amended section 322.04, Florida Statutes, to require visitors from outside the United States to have an International Driving Permit in order to drive lawfully in Florida. This change took effect Jan. 1, 2013.

It has come to the Department's attention that this requirement may violate the Geneva Convention on Road Traffic (1949), an international treaty to which the United States is a signatory. Treaties to which the United States is a party preempt state laws in conflict with them.

Therefore, the Florida Highway Patrol will defer enforcement of violations of the amended statutory section until a final determination of the alignment of the amendment with the treaty can be made. Non-resident visitors to Florida who wish to drive while here will be required to have in their immediate possession a valid driver license issued in his or her name from another state or territory of the U.S. or from their country of residence. However, the FHP will not take enforcement action based solely on the lack of an International Driving Permit."

So it looks like there is no need for Canadian Snow Birds heading to Florida to waste their money on an International Drivers license.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #25

Name: Rocky
Trailer: Shopping
New York
Word in the Canadian media is that the CAA is reimbursing those who bought IDPs in the last couple of days. Mighty fine move, I'd say, since this whole 'mess' was not their fault in the first place. You've got 30 days to apply for the refund.
Rocky Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:52 PM   #26

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Prolly a sign of things to come...it wasn't so long ago that one could pass back and forth across the U.S.-Canada border on a simple either-country driver's licence, but those days are already gone. Now that passports or "enhanced" driver's licences are required, I'm frankly surprised that the international driver's permit requirement for both countries isn't already in effect. Maybe Florida got caught in a presumption that it was/is!

I don't get what the big hoo-haw about it is anyway- an international driver's permit costs fifteen bucks and about five minutes of paperwork.

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:39 PM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
I don't get what the big hoo-haw about it is anyway- an international driver's permit costs fifteen bucks and about five minutes of paperwork.
Francesca
Here you are required to have 2 passport photos with application for an IDP = cost of about $10 add to that the $25 fee for the IDP (not $15) = $35 per year.

Humm let me see - I go to visit a country and spend lots of money helping to boost their economy but I need to spend time and money to get a piece of paper with my drivers licence info on it in many different langues even though the country I am heading to only wants a licence in English so they can read it and the one I already have is in English? hummm Makes a whole lot of sense to me
Old 02-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #28

Registry
An international drivers permit is only fifteen dollars here in the States Link...don't blame us if it's more expensive in Canada!

Francesca
Old 02-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #29

Registry
Quote:
An international drivers permit is only fifteen dollars here in the States Link...don't blame us if it's more expensive in Canada!

Francesca
You missed the part where you also require two passport photos which probable are not free in the US either.

I lot of people in Canada do spur of the moment get away's to the south in winter. So few are going to bother to sit around for 4-6 weeks waiting for a IDL that is clearly unnecesary. So if Florida has a drop in visitors & an economic down turn as a result dont blame us either We will after all be enjoying out time south of Florida in the sun on a beach in Cuba or Mexico where flights and hotels are often cheaper anyways and $35 we would of spent on a IDL buys a lot of drinks.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #30

Registry
Fair enough!

But be warned, Neighbors-to-the North:

I think if y'all go farther into Mexico than a few hundred miles, you're going to need an IDP anyway...as for Cuba, it's not that accessible by land, so not sure how fiberglass trailers fit into THAT Economic Penalties-type equation...

Have fun!

Francesca
Old 02-16-2013, 10:07 PM   #31

Registry
Quote:
I think if y'all go farther into Mexico than a few hundred miles, you're going to need an IDP anyway...)
Nope have spent a lot of time south and actually spent last Dec 2000 miles south of the border and have never been asked for an IDP and its not a requirement, even when renting a car.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #32

Registry
Call me hypercautious, but in my opinion:
Getting asked is one thing...getting asked and not having it might be another!

Is "The Globe and Mail" a reliable source, Canada-wise?

If so, according to this article from June of last year,
Quote:
An IDP is recommended or required in all South American countries, except Brazil.
I for one wouldn't take a chance on running afoul of such a requirement by way of not acquiring an easy-to-get piece of paper before I traveled outside the protection of my native Government.

But that's just me!

Francesca
Old 02-17-2013, 01:13 AM   #33

Registry
Francesca, The Globe and Mail is very correct and the last time I checked Mexico was still part of North America

Tags
license