Cancelled Sat TV - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-27-2015, 07:48 PM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
News

Quote:
Originally Posted by boats19 View Post
I gave up Cable TV too! The news is always aggravating and biased and the commercials are humiliating. Netfix and rifftrax are my source of entertainment.

Sent from my XT1030 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
I've reduced the news input as well, particularly 'news with a purpose'. I'vee bookmarked rifftrax

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:11 PM   #16

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
We gave up on tv many years ago as we weren't finding much that we actually wanted to watch. Never got around to getting a dish or cable because we just didn't think of watching the screen.

Within the past five years or so we have occasionally watched a movie (usually lent to us by an adult kid!).

This Christmas one of our grandkids wanted to watch 'something'. He hooked us into their Netflix account - and we have watched several movies and some old tv shows since.

I LOVED Call the Midwife - a BBC tv series. It is quite realistic and set in a poor area of London during the 1950's Great memories for me as I grew up in that general area.

We haven't taken a tv camping with us yet. Still fighting progress when it comes to relaxing at camp. Don't take a microwave either - or all sorts of stuff other people like to have along. These wee campers are so adaptable!

Old 01-28-2015, 05:14 AM   #17
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
When you get up in the morning and can't remember what you watched the night before, it's time to do something else. We dumped the dish several years ago. Miss watching baseball but we have gotten used to it on the radio. Believe it or not there is a Redsox affiliate in Jackson Hole Wyoming . Go figure, Raz
Old 01-28-2015, 05:48 AM   #18

Florida
Foreign TV SHows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel in Sk View Post
We gave up on tv many years ago as we weren't finding much that we actually wanted to watch. Never got around to getting a dish or cable because we just didn't think of watching the screen.

Within the past five years or so we have occasionally watched a movie (usually lent to us by an adult kid!).

This Christmas one of our grandkids wanted to watch 'something'. He hooked us into their Netflix account - and we have watched several movies and some old tv shows since.

I LOVED Call the Midwife - a BBC tv series. It is quite realistic and set in a poor area of London during the 1950's Great memories for me as I grew up in that general area.

We haven't taken a tv camping with us yet. Still fighting progress when it comes to relaxing at camp. Don't take a microwave either - or all sorts of stuff other people like to have along. These wee campers are so adaptable!
Hazel,
We're on the road almost 8 months a year and find the TV useful when gone for long periods. We usually watch it when getting up, going to bed and bad weather days. Relaxing is never an issue on the road, in a sense we become disconnected from much of our past life.

We have found the foreign made TV shows to be very interesting, partially because they often it's the higher quality shows that make it here and partly because they often show a different society.

We also don't take a microwave, finding there are other ways to do everything the microwave does.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-28-2015, 06:02 AM   #19

Florida
Radio instead of TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
When you get up in the morning and can't remember what you watched the night before, it's time to do something else. We dumped the dish several years ago. Miss watching baseball but we have gotten used to it on the radio. Believe it or not there is a Redsox affiliate in Jackson Hole Wyoming . Go figure, Raz
Raz,

When we first hit the road 14 years ago we did not have TV but did get Sat Radio. We mainly purchased Sat Radio for the music to eliminate station hunting as we drove cross country. We soon found major league baseball was available on sat radio.

Ginny is a Red Sox fan; I'm a Tiger fan. We went to TV so we can watch the UConn women's basketball team. After one year out west when we had trouble finding a place to see UConn play for the national championship Ginny agreed that we need sat TV..

We ended the Sat radio service in our second year. Our CD collection took over along with a growing taste for local music, now I actually like country music and recently took up line dancing, an hour and half lesson is a real work out (still trying new things and learning at 72).

Today I smart phone gives us access to virtually every radio station in the country causing us to use the CD less and less.

(As to the old media, we just purchased a place in Florida and it came with at least a 100 of each of the following: CW audio tapes, CW LP vinyl records and video tapes. The previous owner was a musician who loved CW. We have played a number of the audio tapes.)

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-28-2015, 08:21 AM   #20

Trailer: 16 Scamp, 17 Casita, 21Bigfoot now
Registry
Cancelled sat

Finally got rid of our satellite. Use antenna and Apple TV. Luckily some friends have a cable user name and password and others have Netflix. As long as they are willing to share, you can get movies and ESPN and many others for free.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:18 AM   #21

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Offerings like "Sons of Liberty" and other presentations, on the mostly non-network channels, provide lots of entertainment and discussions the next day, but you have to be selective about what you let into your home.

On the other hand, I usually can't remember what day yesterday was, so why worry about forgetting what you watched on TV. LOL...
Old 01-28-2015, 11:33 AM   #22

Name: Al
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
A couple of years back, we had dish (or was it direct?) and were playing the game of changing from one to the other every two years to get the best deal. The hassle to change was somewhat offset after I discovered the mounting posts are great for bluebird boxes and the dishes make excellent bases for our dutch ovens after the arm and attachment hardware is removed.

Then the tech for whichever one we were switching to was unable to get a signal on our heavily wooded lot. When I told him we'd had their service in the past, he said they'd gone to differently positioned satellites since we were last with them. Since I couldn't swallow my pride and beg the previous folks to take us back (as usual, it had been a less than amiable parting), we were certain life as we'd known it was over.

We were without any TV for a week..............., then two.........., then three................ and we survived. What the heck is going on; Hey, do we really need XM? Cancel that as well. And now we've added over $200/mo to our retirement income.

In all fairness, we did have a bit of initial cash outlay for our current setup. Amazon Prime subscription, Roku device and Mohu over the air antenna; maybe $175. I can't say enough about the Mohu, we get far more stations than we ever did with a rooftop antenna and the clarity is much better. I miss ESPN a little but am gradually finding I really enjoy listening to the games, especially baseball, on radio as I did in my youth. Pandora is a more than adequate substitute for what I got out of XM.

All above comments are about home use, we seldom take any of the electronics along when camping.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:07 PM   #23

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
We live in a rural area . Many of my neighbors have cable TV through the phone company or satellite TV ,at a cost of $50 to $100 per month. Being cheap I put up a 40 ft pole with a 200 mile antenna ,rotor and amp . Total cost was $600. We get between 25 & 30 over the air channels when the weather is right and about 15 channels during stormy weather. My neighbors get far more channels but few of them are worth paying for. I figure I paid for my $600 investment in less than a year and no monthly cable bills.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:01 PM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
While certainly not the solution for everyone, I solved the problem by not putting a TV in the trailer. I kept track of what I watched at home and found that it consisted of local & national news, Nature & Nova, plus a few PBS specials. I rarely watch movies, so I decided I could do without while traveling. I did break down when I spent a month in one location that had cable & purchased a 22" TV, but found I only used it 2 evenings over the entire month.

I do read quite a bit & find that far more interesting than most of what is available on TV. Like Norm & Ginny, I use satellite radio, and listen to both Pandora & Apple Radio as well as my home town NPR station when I have a good internet connection.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:15 PM   #25

Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
I use Direct TV as my source of supply...had cable several years ago at one of my homes...Cable=high cost and poor programming choices. Direct TV offers more than double the programming of cable suppliers for less cost. Picture quality exceeds the best that cable can produce. The total number of channels offered by Direct TV is in the hundreds and includes dozens of music only channels...Dish TV is a poor second and does not compare to Direct TV.
Customer service at Direct TV is in a class by itself....cable TV's customer service is a joke. I get internet service via my cell phone provider (Verison) because of where I live...the boondocks!!....people who live in the mountains of the Adirondacks and most of northern Maine in the East must use satellite Television services for television....cable companies do not now nor will they ever find enough customers in remote areas to cover the cost of cable installation. The same holds true for cell phone service....too few people to cover the cost of cell towers in remote areas......that is the cost one must pay for living in the boondocks....thank god for Direct TV...they are everywhere...they even have started to offer Internet services to limited areas....that will expand when more satellites are added to the system.

Quality programs on television will always be limited....moron "reality television" will continue to dominate the boob-tube because it is cheap to produce and there are plenty of morons who watch it. The producers of these programs know exactly how many viewers they have....Direct TV knows what every television set on their system (Dish Network also can monitor their viewers) is watching.
If you have Direct TV you can access that data by regions of the country and nationwide and see what are the most popular programs in real time. Networks and producers love this data and use it to sell ad time....we live in interesting times!....privacy ?? Forget about it!!!
Old 09-15-2015, 01:30 PM   #26

Name: Bert
Trailer: 23 foot Oliver Elite II
New Mexico
Ron where did you buy you tailgater? Dish?
Old 09-16-2015, 01:02 AM   #27

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Registry
I'm happy enough with Netflix and Amazon that I'd be happy to cancel cable. However, DH NEEDS the sports... baseball, basketball, football, tennis, Nascar...

I don't think we have to have this huge cable bill just for sports, so am interested to know if anyone has an online alternative?

Norm, thanks for mentioning your Verizon internet. This may make good sense for us to use at home (another part of the cable bill we could cancel), plus we could take it on the road.

As far as favorite programs; I also love programs from elsewhere.

These include:
Inspector Morse
Foyle's War
Call the Midwife
**Doc Martin**
Rake
Lilyhammer
W1A
**Happy Valley**
**The Fall**
**Sherlock**
Last Tango in Halifax
Hinterland
**The Bletchley Circle**
Top of the Lake
Island at War
**Doctor Who**
US programs:
House of Cards
Halt and Catch Fire
Mad Men
Justified
These are all on Netflix... haven't checked into Amazon for a while but there are great series there also. I'm so spoiled now that I can barely watch network television and endure all of the commercials.

BUT, am very fond of Turner Classic Movies... it would hurt to lose that...
5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:27 AM   #28

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
LP, a bit off subject but I'm with your hubby with Nascar..........10 more races and then I'll have withdrawals till next Feb, dang. I don't have TV in the SD, my wife and I read, look at the stars or enjoy the fire and talk......just not during the last ten laps of a race . Gee, we still have a couple 1968 programs from our local track from when we were dating. I've thought about adding a TV to the trailer cuz I miss the news but the radio in the tug works fine for that. We have taken a CD player and a few movies with us once in a while but really have only used it a few times. So, is TV in the egg worth it, no, not for us but YMMV, it's all a choice.