Cancelled Sat TV - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2015, 10:18 AM   #21

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Offerings like "Sons of Liberty" and other presentations, on the mostly non-network channels, provide lots of entertainment and discussions the next day, but you have to be selective about what you let into your home.

On the other hand, I usually can't remember what day yesterday was, so why worry about forgetting what you watched on TV. LOL...

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:33 AM   #22

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
A couple of years back, we had dish (or was it direct?) and were playing the game of changing from one to the other every two years to get the best deal. The hassle to change was somewhat offset after I discovered the mounting posts are great for bluebird boxes and the dishes make excellent bases for our dutch ovens after the arm and attachment hardware is removed.

Then the tech for whichever one we were switching to was unable to get a signal on our heavily wooded lot. When I told him we'd had their service in the past, he said they'd gone to differently positioned satellites since we were last with them. Since I couldn't swallow my pride and beg the previous folks to take us back (as usual, it had been a less than amiable parting), we were certain life as we'd known it was over.

We were without any TV for a week..............., then two.........., then three................ and we survived. What the heck is going on; Hey, do we really need XM? Cancel that as well. And now we've added over $200/mo to our retirement income.

In all fairness, we did have a bit of initial cash outlay for our current setup. Amazon Prime subscription, Roku device and Mohu over the air antenna; maybe $175. I can't say enough about the Mohu, we get far more stations than we ever did with a rooftop antenna and the clarity is much better. I miss ESPN a little but am gradually finding I really enjoy listening to the games, especially baseball, on radio as I did in my youth. Pandora is a more than adequate substitute for what I got out of XM.

All above comments are about home use, we seldom take any of the electronics along when camping.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:07 PM   #23

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We live in a rural area . Many of my neighbors have cable TV through the phone company or satellite TV ,at a cost of $50 to $100 per month. Being cheap I put up a 40 ft pole with a 200 mile antenna ,rotor and amp . Total cost was $600. We get between 25 & 30 over the air channels when the weather is right and about 15 channels during stormy weather. My neighbors get far more channels but few of them are worth paying for. I figure I paid for my $600 investment in less than a year and no monthly cable bills.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:01 PM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
While certainly not the solution for everyone, I solved the problem by not putting a TV in the trailer. I kept track of what I watched at home and found that it consisted of local & national news, Nature & Nova, plus a few PBS specials. I rarely watch movies, so I decided I could do without while traveling. I did break down when I spent a month in one location that had cable & purchased a 22" TV, but found I only used it 2 evenings over the entire month.

I do read quite a bit & find that far more interesting than most of what is available on TV. Like Norm & Ginny, I use satellite radio, and listen to both Pandora & Apple Radio as well as my home town NPR station when I have a good internet connection.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:15 PM   #25

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
I use Direct TV as my source of supply...had cable several years ago at one of my homes...Cable=high cost and poor programming choices. Direct TV offers more than double the programming of cable suppliers for less cost. Picture quality exceeds the best that cable can produce. The total number of channels offered by Direct TV is in the hundreds and includes dozens of music only channels...Dish TV is a poor second and does not compare to Direct TV.
Customer service at Direct TV is in a class by itself....cable TV's customer service is a joke. I get internet service via my cell phone provider (Verison) because of where I live...the boondocks!!....people who live in the mountains of the Adirondacks and most of northern Maine in the East must use satellite Television services for television....cable companies do not now nor will they ever find enough customers in remote areas to cover the cost of cable installation. The same holds true for cell phone service....too few people to cover the cost of cell towers in remote areas......that is the cost one must pay for living in the boondocks....thank god for Direct TV...they are everywhere...they even have started to offer Internet services to limited areas....that will expand when more satellites are added to the system.

Quality programs on television will always be limited....moron "reality television" will continue to dominate the boob-tube because it is cheap to produce and there are plenty of morons who watch it. The producers of these programs know exactly how many viewers they have....Direct TV knows what every television set on their system (Dish Network also can monitor their viewers) is watching.
If you have Direct TV you can access that data by regions of the country and nationwide and see what are the most popular programs in real time. Networks and producers love this data and use it to sell ad time....we live in interesting times!....privacy ?? Forget about it!!!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:30 PM   #26

Name: Bert
Trailer: 23 foot Oliver Elite II
California
Ron where did you buy you tailgater? Dish?
Bertus65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:02 AM   #27

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
I'm happy enough with Netflix and Amazon that I'd be happy to cancel cable. However, DH NEEDS the sports... baseball, basketball, football, tennis, Nascar...

I don't think we have to have this huge cable bill just for sports, so am interested to know if anyone has an online alternative?

Norm, thanks for mentioning your Verizon internet. This may make good sense for us to use at home (another part of the cable bill we could cancel), plus we could take it on the road.

As far as favorite programs; I also love programs from elsewhere.

These include:
Inspector Morse
Foyle's War
Call the Midwife
**Doc Martin**
Rake
Lilyhammer
W1A
**Happy Valley**
**The Fall**
**Sherlock**
Last Tango in Halifax
Hinterland
**The Bletchley Circle**
Top of the Lake
Island at War
**Doctor Who**
US programs:
House of Cards
Halt and Catch Fire
Mad Men
Justified
These are all on Netflix... haven't checked into Amazon for a while but there are great series there also. I'm so spoiled now that I can barely watch network television and endure all of the commercials.

BUT, am very fond of Turner Classic Movies... it would hurt to lose that...
Old 09-16-2015, 02:27 AM   #28

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
LP, a bit off subject but I'm with your hubby with Nascar..........10 more races and then I'll have withdrawals till next Feb, dang. I don't have TV in the SD, my wife and I read, look at the stars or enjoy the fire and talk......just not during the last ten laps of a race . Gee, we still have a couple 1968 programs from our local track from when we were dating. I've thought about adding a TV to the trailer cuz I miss the news but the radio in the tug works fine for that. We have taken a CD player and a few movies with us once in a while but really have only used it a few times. So, is TV in the egg worth it, no, not for us but YMMV, it's all a choice.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:05 AM   #29

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
I'm happy enough with Netflix and Amazon that I'd be happy to cancel cable. However, DH NEEDS the sports... baseball, basketball, football, tennis, Nascar...

I don't think we have to have this huge cable bill just for sports, so am interested to know if anyone has an online alternative?

Norm, thanks for mentioning your Verizon internet. This may make good sense for us to use at home (another part of the cable bill we could cancel), plus we could take it on the road.

As far as favorite programs; I also love programs from elsewhere.

These include:
Inspector Morse
Foyle's War
Call the Midwife
**Doc Martin**
Rake
Lilyhammer
W1A
**Happy Valley**
**The Fall**
**Sherlock**
Last Tango in Halifax
Hinterland
**The Bletchley Circle**
Top of the Lake
Island at War
**Doctor Who**
US programs:
House of Cards
Halt and Catch Fire
Mad Men
Justified
These are all on Netflix... haven't checked into Amazon for a while but there are great series there also. I'm so spoiled now that I can barely watch network television and endure all of the commercials.

BUT, am very fond of Turner Classic Movies... it would hurt to lose that...
Here's a few additions:
Inspector Lewis, a take off from Inspector Morse, better than Morse.
Jack Frost, another English Inspector on Hulu
Moone Boy, award winning Irish comedy about a little boy, Hulu

For Sports we use:
Sling Box, Provides ESPN and a bunch of other channels.
NFL Football, free on Verizon and CHromecast to send to TV

Local Stations: We have a paper thin Mohu digital TV antenna.

For us there are more TV shows then we will ever see. We take a whole different approach to watching TV and there's more to watch than I will live to see. It's sort of like having a personal library of a million books with one aisle missing... who cares about the missing.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:18 PM   #30

Florida
Another good show,

Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, female detective set in Australia in the early 1900s.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-16-2015, 05:55 PM   #31

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
LP, a bit off subject but I'm with your hubby with Nascar..........10 more races and then I'll have withdrawals till next Feb, dang. I don't have TV in the SD, my wife and I read, look at the stars or enjoy the fire and talk......just not during the last ten laps of a race . Gee, we still have a couple 1968 programs from our local track from when we were dating. I've thought about adding a TV to the trailer cuz I miss the news but the radio in the tug works fine for that. We have taken a CD player and a few movies with us once in a while but really have only used it a few times. So, is TV in the egg worth it, no, not for us but YMMV, it's all a choice.
Yes, I'm glad someone else understands about the Nascar thing. I hate it when people turn up their noses and sniff, "the original Nascar drivers were bootleggers." The DH had his own racecar for years, and before that raced his Porsche speedster, so his interest is very technical and personal! Plus, I give him a lot of leeway on his viewing interests, since he is still working an approximate 70 hour week, way past retirement age, AND having chemo!

But these viewing choices are for us at home... we haven't thought about television in an egg. Later on we might try Netflix with a Verizon thingy, but right now I'm just happen to get OUT in it now and then!
Old 09-16-2015, 06:27 PM   #32

Florida
My Dad also drove race cars and bought his first Speedster in 1955. I learned to drive in my mother's Porsche, yes a two Porsche family... back when Porsches were more reasonably priced.

Of course owning a Porsche was on my list and my brother's list.. The last car I purchased before becoming an RVer was a Porsche 911 convertible, literally a glued to the road car. We sold our 911 just before beginning our travels.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-16-2015, 06:39 PM   #33

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
My Dad also drove race cars and bought his first Speedster in 1955. I learned to drive in my mother's Porsche, yes a two Porsche family... back when Porsches were more reasonably priced.

Of course owning a Porsche was on my list and my brother's list.. The last car I purchased before becoming an RVer was a Porsche 911 convertible, literally a glued to the road car. We sold our 911 just before beginning our travels.
Ah, "glued to the road." Ain't that the truth? My favorite Porsche was the 914, which I bombed around LA in in the 1970's. No matter how tight the corner, this little car STUCK to the road, and you barely moved in your seat. If at all.

We sold that car when we had our first baby, to my undying regret. Would love to have one again, along with my Kencraft trailer (with the FG top). In the meantime, the V70 and the Lil'Bigfoot do a lot to redeem that regret (and no, I did NOT try to tow the Kencraft with the 914!)
Old 09-16-2015, 07:25 PM   #34

Florida
Nascar

The networks seem to be preparing to move to Internet TV wich should dolve the Nascar issue.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-17-2015, 12:07 AM   #35

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
I don't watch any of the stick and /or ball "sports"
but being an old short track racer,,, love my Nascar!
Me in march 2012 at the Vegas Motor Speedway,
1 800 BE PETTY
last 2 laps were at 150 mph!!

Cable or in our case Satellite, MAN !
Close to 100 bucks a month and not much worth watchin.
If we had access to high-speed internet it would be GONE!!!
Can't watch anything in high def without the thing chugging,,,
Fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote