Candle powered radiant heater - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-16-2008, 11:18 PM   #1

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')
KanHeat

So, what say all you engineers out there? Safe to use or no?

Bonnie
Old 12-16-2008, 11:42 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Dude... MUCHOOOOOOO thanx for this thread

Cant explain how much potential this adds to lot of projects Im indirectly involved with.
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Interesting concept. A bolt, some nuts and washers and clay flower pots.

The link you provide says it will provide about 50 BTU's /hr, another link you provided for the boat wood stoves stated one needs 15 BTU per cubic foot. Therefore this should heat about 3 cubic feet of your trailer. If my math is right, you would need 24 to heat a 13' boler or Scamp.

I'm sure you could find something a lot smaller and more efficient for the $700 it will cost you to heat your trailer with 24 of these.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:47 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
it is *Probably* safe if you use the proper precautions ...

but I can't find anywhere on his site what the BTUs are.

I am guessing not very much.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:28 AM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
I can see how it makes the heat more "radiant" as opposed to letting it go up to the ceiling, but can't it see how it would increase the heat output of the candle. So, BTU for BTU, you'd get the same heat from just burning the candle on its own, except your trailer would be the giant clay pot. Does that make sense?
Old 12-17-2008, 07:39 AM   #6

Trailer: Play Pac ('Egg Krate')

I liked the idea. Candle power for emergencies and such. I used candles in the last big power outtage (ice storm two years ago) to keep the plumbing from freezing. In the inner bath (no windows, etc.) it was actually too hot.

Food for thought.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:07 AM   #7

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I have a vision of coming in after being out playing in a beautiful 30 degree snow wonderland and lighting my candle and waiting for the heat, and waiting for the heat, and waiting for the heat.

I really enjoyed looking through all his "products." This fella is truly the old fashioned "garage inventor." I especially enjoyed the wearable humming bird feeder.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:36 AM   #8

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Hey guys food for thought below is a link on a concern to watch out for since this idea is considered to be used in a little fiberglass trailer, one of my friends is a respiratory M.D. and alerted me to it...You could use soy candles with wicks that are certified lead free to minimize risk, however combustion is combustion and uncontrolled combustion is a risky venture anyway, I might mention that pots made in the US are controlled supposedly "at least 8 years ago" and are lead free, pots outside the US i.e. Mexico is not. Please read and decide for yourselves.

<span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">
<span style="font-family:Times New Roman"><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"></span>Harry
</span></span>

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12398334

Quote:
KanHeat

So, what say all you engineers out there? Safe to use or no?

Bonnie
Harry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:10 AM   #9

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Unless someone has found a shortcut around the Laws of Thermodynamics, then it's very unlikely that you're going to get much heat out of one little candle. If the candle is about 50 BTU, which sounds reasonable, then that's exactly how much heat you're going to get from the collection of clay pots. If anybody doesn't agree with that, then I've got a couple a Perpetual Motion machines in my garage that I'd like to sell you.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:26 AM   #10

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Some food for thought:
  • If you hold your hand a foot or two over a candle, how much heat does it generate? Is that enough to heat your trailer? How many candles do you need to stay warm?
  • The yellow part of the candle flame is where incomplete combustion is taking place. In other words, if you see yellow, it means the flame is putting out carbon monoxide . . . and soot. One candle probably doesn't put out enough carbon monoxide to hurt you, but lots of them (like enough to heat a trailer)? I wouldn't trust it.
  • It's an open flame. The US Fire Administration website says there are 15,600 residential fires started by candles each year, resulting in 150 deaths and 1,270 injuries. And how many of these little open-flame fire hazards did you need to stay warm?
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:33 AM   #11

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
neat ideas! I wouldn't use a candle for heat, but I like some of the other stuff they had on the website. I was thinking that heat stick idea might do some good in a trailer, the floor gets soooo cooooold, and the top is almost too hot, so that might be a good way to recirculate the warmer air without using a lot of juice... A flexible tube would work better to form to the curves in the trailer...just a thought.
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:42 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
In years past there was a post talking about turning a clay pot upside down on a stove burner as a heat sink.

I really like the guy. What neat inventions!
Old 12-17-2008, 12:46 PM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
He is a true inventor. He said he has been piddling with it and different heat sources for 4 years.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:25 PM   #14

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
Quote:
In years past there was a post talking about turning a clay pot upside down on a stove burner as a heat sink.
We did this when sailing off the California coast. We'd put a pot over each burner and warm them up before bed. It worked well. With the extra pots, washers, and bolts, I can see this being much better. I just wouldn't use the candle. And, I'd make my own.

Pat
Patrick Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:56 PM   #15

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
I can't find anywhere on his site what the BTUs are.
They are just to the right of the picture of one in a large wood and plastic case in the garden.
(4th picture down)

The site says:
<blockquote>"The jar candle is about 3" high and 3" in diameter and contains 4.25 oz of wax, almost 1,000 Btu's. These candles will typically burn 20-24 hours, or at about 50 Btu's an hour. This is not a lot of heat so don't be thinking you are going to heat the house with one!"</blockquote>
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote