Cannot hitch the trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-25-2014, 05:05 PM   #15

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
This is actually a better picture of it:
Trailer Coupler 2" Ball 2" Channel Tongue (5,000 lbs) Atwood Trailer Coupler 80081

Old 11-25-2014, 05:08 PM   #16

Name: G K
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
one more titbit of info. The scamp was delivered from factory to Virginia (this is where I am). The guy towed it behind his truck. I called him as well asking if he used a 2'' ball, and he said yes. I hope he told me the truth or knew for sure that his ball for 2'', and that he didn't tighten the nut at the bottom for the tongue to fit securely on a smaller ball.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:56 PM   #17

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by reachg View Post
one more titbit of info. The scamp was delivered from factory to Virginia (this is where I am). The guy towed it behind his truck. I called him as well asking if he used a 2'' ball, and he said yes. I hope he told me the truth or knew for sure that his ball for 2'', and that he didn't tighten the nut at the bottom for the tongue to fit securely on a smaller ball.
I got an idea. Go back and look at that video again. When is latched the trailer moves back just a bit. This normal. If you have the trailer chocked so that it can't move you may have either unchock it or jocky the tow back and forth abit after the hitch is lowered onto the ball.

I've had to do the jockying thing when I was parked on an incline and trailer chocked so wouldn't go into the river. You're not moving much but just enough for hitch to completely over the ball.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:19 PM   #18

Virginia
Byron - I noticed that as well, and that's the reason I took the ball off the car and using it directly with the coupler. I did have chocks which I removed as well. The last option is to find a way to loosen the coupler tongue using the adjuster nut, that is what I ahve not been able to try as the nut doesn't budge.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:27 PM   #19

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
The nut has to move, use a cheater bar or an impact gun. Worse case is it breaks and it's replaceable.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:39 PM   #20

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by reachg View Post
Byron - I noticed that as well, and that's the reason I took the ball off the car and using it directly with the coupler. I did have chocks which I removed as well. The last option is to find a way to loosen the coupler tongue using the adjuster nut, that is what I ahve not been able to try as the nut doesn't budge.
If it worked before it should work now. Maybe a little penetrating oil will loosen things up a bit.

I would be careful loosening the clamp nut. If there's something else wrong the couple could be pretty loose and maybe even come off while traveling.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:39 PM   #21

Virginia
Borrego - great point. I went to the local Merchant auto and tire, and spoke to a guy there and he said he will stop by tomorrow to take a look. He would have access to more tools and can probably loosen the nut.

BTW - can't thank all of you much for all the responses and recommendations. I love this forum.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:45 PM   #22

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Let us know what the results are and how the problem was solved. Inquiring minds want to know incase we run into the same situation.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:29 PM   #23

Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 SD std layout 6
Georgia
Registry
Here's a picture of what my coupler looks like. If it's too tight and wont allow the underjaw to close, then the only option is to loosen the locknut until you get the right tension once latched.
Make sure the underjaw is fully released and out of the way when you lower the trailer on the ball, otherwise it will get trapped above the ball.
Attached Thumbnails
Coupler image.JPG   coupler 2.jpg  

radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:35 PM   #24

Virginia
Coupler 2 is exact copy of how the coupler is on my scamp. The nut is the critical piece. More tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 11-25-2014, 08:36 PM   #25

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
For what it is worth, on one of my trailers, I have to pull the underjaw back as I lower the trailer onto the ball. Otherwise the ball pushes up on the underjaw and it just sits on top of the ball.

You have probably already tried this.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:45 PM   #26

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Try pulling you vehicle forward.
If you trailer is even slightly pushing on the ball before it's closed it will not close.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:02 PM   #27

Name: sharon
Virginia
I don't know the technical terms so bear with me, but I've had trouble hooking mine up too sometimes. raise the hitch WAY above the ball. when you're sure its steady & won't move on you (you don't want to lose fingers here), reach underneath & find the flapper that locks under the ball. make sure it's flipped down & jiggles freely. if the hitch comes down on the ball the wrong way it gets flipped up & then nothing works right. its better to come down on the back 1/2 of the ball & tug the camper forward, rather than come down perfect or too far forward, then the flapper acts up. hope this helps!
Old 11-25-2014, 09:48 PM   #28

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
Could you have possibly damage the coupler with your first attempt to connect the trailer? Is it possible the jaw (underjaw in the diagram) got bent ???