Cannot hitch the trailer - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-25-2014, 09:55 PM   #29

Trailer: Casita
New River AZ
If the socket is slipping on the nut try a six point socket instead of a point point socket

Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:18 PM   #30

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Loosen the nut?????

For those that keep talking about loosening the nut I would like to know how the clamp nut could have gotten tighter from when it was last used. Explain that to me please.

Old 11-25-2014, 11:08 PM   #31

New River AZ
that nut on the bottom will make the hole (hitch ball)size bigger or smaller. You may have used a different hitch ball which could be a hair thicker or you could have lowered the trailer on the ball and got the latch caught in the "Up" position which could change the adjustment size. I know it's happened to me. Look up underneath and take a good look at what you got.
if you can't get a socket up in there because it's too thick "Snap On" makes strong thin walled sockets but be sure to use a six point socket
Old 11-25-2014, 11:30 PM   #32

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Z View Post
that nut on the bottom will make the hole (hitch ball)size bigger or smaller. You may have used a different hitch ball which could be a hair thicker or you could have lowered the trailer on the ball and got the latch caught in the "Up" position which could change the adjustment size. I know it's happened to me. Look up underneath and take a good look at what you got.
if you can't get a socket up in there because it's too thick "Snap On" makes strong thin walled sockets but be sure to use a six point socket

Sorry but you're not making any sense. The adjustment is that as the hitch wears it can be tightened. As an engineer I can't see any way you can get a hitch tighter without adjusting the adjustment nut. So adjusted the nut after last use?
Note also the adjustment nut appears to be seized. That would indicate rust and latch need lubricating. But maybe some chipmunk came along tightened it up, eh?
Old 11-25-2014, 11:37 PM   #33

New River AZ
As a mechanic for about 40 years i've seen all kind of simple fixes and hopefully this is one of them..... By your rust comment just for the heck of it get up under the inside with a small crowbar and try to wedge that latch down some as some rust may have collected in there and not fully opening or closing..... you could try also cleaning it out real good with starting fluid then re-lubricate it.... work that lever up and down a whole bunch without the trailer hooked and try to clean it up...... that nut should not be seized and i believe you when you say it is but without being there i can't fully diagnose it.
I forgot to add feel the up side of that latch to see if there is rust buildup in there
Old 11-25-2014, 11:57 PM   #34

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
I vote for just moving the car slightly forward or back.... I know I have to do that with my Scamp from time to time in order to get the latch to lock.

The only other question I have is the trailer level to the tug when your hitching up or is it noise up or down?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:25 AM   #35

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
But maybe some chipmunk came along tightened it up, eh?[/QUOTE]

Good one Byron. I don't think there is a rust problem as the trailer is new. The only chipmunk was the guy who made the delivery. As he does deliveries he may have had to tighten it up a bit to overcome a worn ball.
It will be interesting to find out why the nut doesn't want to turn. That's got me stumped. Not sure if the OP is on a fairly flat area trying to hookup. I have had to put chocks down in front of the wheels, pull forward a tad to move the ball back so the latch would lock down.
On my largest utility trailer unhooking it can be a pain. Coupler drops on like a hot knife in butter, even at an angle. Disconnecting even empty I sometimes have to bounce/jump on the dock bumper or use a tire iron to pop it off. Been like that for ten years since new. Coupler gremlins maybe
Old 11-26-2014, 12:45 AM   #36

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Smile Something to try

Try closing the hitch latch without the ball in it. If it closes then but not with the ball inserted, that would indicate that it needs to be adjusted more open.

Are you turning the nut in the correct direction? This relationship can be hard to visualize when in an awkward position.

To advance a right handed nut, using your right hand, point your thumb in the direction you want the nut to travel. Then your fingers are pointing in the direction to turn the nut.

I hope this helps.

BTW: Congratulations on your new baby.

PS: I suspect delivery man was using a 1-7/8" ball and had the hitch tightened chock a block.

PPS: One rule of working with anything someone else has touched. Check. You can never trust another person to do what you expect, or leave it in a condition ready for you to use.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:10 AM   #37

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Do you have a brand new hitch ball? Are you absolutely certain it's a 2" and not the bit larger? If it's larger the shaft on the ball will be thicker and the collar on the hitch will not fit around the shaft. No way to lock it down.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:35 AM   #38

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
Ours will not connect unless the car and trailer are on level ground or car is slightly higher than trailer. We are lucky it is so light I just wheel it around by hand on rough ground may need Carole's help; but this seems to not be your problem.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:33 AM   #39

Name: G K
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
Ours will not connect unless the car and trailer are on level ground or car is slightly higher than trailer. We are lucky it is so light I just wheel it around by hand on rough ground may need Carole's help; but this seems to not be your problem.
Interesting, can the scamp be freely moved around? I was afraid that it will tip forward or backwards if it is not on the fro jack or hooked to the car.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:43 AM   #40

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Hmmmm. Seems to me that this is a problem for SCAMP to resolve and to resolve quickly. They built the trailer and, as not indicated otherwise, their contractor delivered the trailer.

If I called and was told to call back tomorrow I'd just start working my way up the chain of command at SCAMP, it's not all that long..... This reeks of being a warranty and/or merchantability issue, nothing less.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:44 PM   #41

Name: sharon
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
perhaps we're over-thinking this. if you look at radar1's pic, the handle (lock) assembly is in the closed/locked position. in order to hookup, you have to lift the handle up to the open/unlocked position, put the hitch down over the ball, then push the handle down to close/lock it. (not trying to be mean, I didn't get it at first!)
Old 11-26-2014, 12:49 PM   #42

Name: Dave (and/or John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 SD std layout 6
Georgia
Registry
Definitely hard to diagnose a problem we can't see for ourselves, but I think Dave's guess is as good as any, and that was that the deliverer may have adjusted it to fit his worn ball, and in doing so, made it too tight for a new ball.
I recall trying to use a 2" ball on a British trailer when I was in England. Even though the difference between the 2" ball (which is 50.8mm) and the British coupler (50mm) was only 0.8mm, the 2" ball was too big to fit the coupler.

radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote