Cannot hitch the trailer - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2014, 12:44 PM   #41

Name: sharon
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
perhaps we're over-thinking this. if you look at radar1's pic, the handle (lock) assembly is in the closed/locked position. in order to hookup, you have to lift the handle up to the open/unlocked position, put the hitch down over the ball, then push the handle down to close/lock it. (not trying to be mean, I didn't get it at first!)
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:49 PM   #42

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Definitely hard to diagnose a problem we can't see for ourselves, but I think Dave's guess is as good as any, and that was that the deliverer may have adjusted it to fit his worn ball, and in doing so, made it too tight for a new ball.
I recall trying to use a 2" ball on a British trailer when I was in England. Even though the difference between the 2" ball (which is 50.8mm) and the British coupler (50mm) was only 0.8mm, the 2" ball was too big to fit the coupler.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:57 PM   #43

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
In my opinion,When they finally get the adjuster nut loose it will probably be fine at that point. All 2" balls are not exactly the same and i've had to re-adjust that nut with different 2" hitch balls.
Just because it worked on the tow vehicle that towed it to you doesn't mean it will slip on easily to your hitch.... If it did originally fit yours and now it doesn't then that would be different
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:24 PM   #44

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoRockiesFan View Post
Hi GK, hopefully someone experienced with the Scamp hitch will come along. But, meanwhile, with my Escape, I cannot release the latch unless the ball is slighly forward. I try to back until the ball is nearly under the hitch but slightly forward so that the hitch slides down over the part of the ball closest to the truck. Then, the latch will release. If I place the ball directly under the hitch or too far back, the latch will not release.
I'm going to agree with this post. Have that problem with a utility trailer I own. The part in the hitch that pulls up under the ball when you push the latch down can easily get caught above the ball if you come straight down on the ball.

You can feel that locking collar, or look up and see that it is under the ball, if it is not the latch won't move down to the locking position. The collar that the latch lever is attached to is essentially wedged between the ball and the tongue socket.

Lowering the trailer with the ball toward the front of the tongue (enough that the trailer actually moves forward a bit as it is lowered) can help get the ball in front of the latch collar. As can putting some rearward pressure on the base of the latch lever when lowering.

Newish latch and collar will tend to be tighter than one worn in a bit, never used my utility trailer all that often so it tends to be tighter, the old scamp on the other hand is worn enough that it drops in and latches pretty easily.

By collar I mean underjaw as labeled in pictures of previous post.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 03:09 PM   #45

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
PB Blaster works well!

Have you tried: PB Blaster? It's amazing stuff. Never fails to loosen stubborn nuts, except my husband!

Blaster 11 oz. Penetrating Catalyst Lubricant-16PB-THD at The Home Depot

I had similar trouble with a hitch and the spring was too tight. Loosened the nut a bit and all was well.

GOOD LUCK,
Fran
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:02 PM   #46

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
The coupler in my Scamp 19 NEVER locked after it dropped on the ball even once during the entire time I owned it. I had a fairly strong magnet on the lower side of the coupler which held the lower lever or whatever it is called (it contacts the lower curve of the ball) in the "most open position." Without fail, I always had to "jerk" the TV forward a bit. Until I did this, the coupler simply would not lock. I would get into the bed of the truck, have my spouse pull it forward slowly while I completed the locking process by pulling the rod that is welded on the locking mechanism forward. Invariably, it popped down an locked as soon as the TV moved forward a bit. Must have done it this way 200 times at least. Yet it would unlock and come off the ball easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 11-26-2014, 06:09 PM   #47

Name: G K
Virginia
Hello all, finally the issue is resolved. The guy from the local auto store was able to stop by and use a nut gun to loosen the coupler adjustment nut. He then put the ball in and put the latch down and tightened the nut enough.

So basically someone messed with the nut. No way a 2 inch ball could have fit in there and the latch closed.

Always keep a lug wrench.

reachg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:24 PM   #48

Great...... A nice simple Fix.
Enjoy your new trailer
Old 11-26-2014, 06:27 PM   #49

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Glad you got it fixed, G K. Whatever you had to pay the guy from the auto store, you should pass the bill onto Scamp. It sounds like a warranty issue to me.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:58 PM   #50

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Great news!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:26 PM   #51

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry G View Post
Glad you got it fixed, G K. Whatever you had to pay the guy from the auto store, you should pass the bill onto Scamp. It sounds like a warranty issue to me.
I am torn on this, I wish they would have offered to pay for the inconvenience. On the other hand I am glad it is fixed and done with. I paid $60 for the service, but the hard part was the inconvenience and hours spent to figure out the solution. Oh well, life is like that.

Happy Thanksgiving folks.
Old 11-26-2014, 08:01 PM   #52

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Now you get to change your info so your new trailer shows up under your screen name. Woohoo, you're an owner!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:05 PM   #53

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by reachg View Post
I am torn on this, I wish they would have offered to pay for the inconvenience. On the other hand I am glad it is fixed and done with. I paid $60 for the service, but the hard part was the inconvenience and hours spent to figure out the solution. Oh well, life is like that.

Happy Thanksgiving folks.
If businesses had to pay for inconvenience, every airline in the country would be bankrupt in a week.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:17 PM   #54

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California

So basically someone messed with the nut. No way a 2 inch ball could have fit in there and the latch closed.

Glad you got squared away. Any comments from the guy that stopped by to what was causing the nut from turning ?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:18 PM   #55

Virginia
It was some special nut with some plastic at the bottom. Can't remember the exact name. He had to use a nut gun.

Old 11-26-2014, 08:25 PM   #56

Quote:
It was some special nut with some plastic at the bottom. Can't remember the exact name. He had to use a nut gun.

That a Lock Nut or sometimes called an a Aircraft Nut.... that plastic at the end keeps it from vibrating loose
Old 11-26-2014, 08:31 PM   #57

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Also called a nylock nut. The insert is usually nylon.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:48 AM   #58

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Unless the guy who delivered the trailer was lying ( and why would he?), my guess is someone who originally hooked the trailer up for delivery saw a smaller ball and adjusted the nut to fit. Glad it's good now!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 09:38 AM   #59

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:

Always keep a lug wrench.

Yup carrying one in your trailer is always a good idea. As is carrying a wrench for the ball nut. Never know over time when you may need to adjust the hitch on your own set up but if there is ever an situation where your not able to tow your trailer with your own vehicle you may well need it to adjust it to fit the tug that is going to tow it for you or to switch your ball over to their tug as their tug has a different size.

Have over the years been around 3 situations where someone else had to pull another parties trailer due to a tug brake down or a medical emergency preventing the owner of the trailer from pulling it themselves.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote