Cannot hitch the trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2014, 03:06 PM   #1

Name: G K
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Exclamation Cannot hitch the trailer

Hi everyone - our brand new Scamp arrived last night and we've run into issues trying to use the hitch. The trailer is sitting perfectly on the ball mount, but the latch isn't closing. It's basically hitting the bottom of the ball. I even removed the ball mount from the car and manually put it under the trailer to make sure the trailer was sitting on it properly. I even tried to loosen the screw for the latch but the wrench keeps on slipping, so can't loosen it. The big spring inside looks fine as well.

Any pointers are much appreciated.

The ball is a 2-inch ball (confirmed).
reachg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:44 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Try lubricating all moving points inside & out. I've had trouble at times trying to get the latch to lock into position, until I sprayed lube on everything.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:45 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hi, use a socket on the nut, for a wrench it's pretty close quarters. BTW, the nut is probably a nylock. Congrats on the new toy.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:48 PM   #4

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Former Escape 19 owner
Virginia
Registry
Hi GK, hopefully someone experienced with the Scamp hitch will come along. But, meanwhile, with my Escape, I cannot release the latch unless the ball is slighly forward. I try to back until the ball is nearly under the hitch but slightly forward so that the hitch slides down over the part of the ball closest to the truck. Then, the latch will release. If I place the ball directly under the hitch or too far back, the latch will not release.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:53 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
If you can take a picture or two of the latching mechanism, folks might be able to troubleshoot a bit more. It sounds like something isn't releasing or isgetting in the way of closing the latch down all the way. Sorry I can't help more because my UHaul has a different mechanism!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:55 PM   #6

Virginia
I tried the socket on the nut. The nut doesn't budge. Will try lubricant, but because the latch only goes halfway not sure if it will do the trick.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:03 PM   #7

California
The ball is a 2-inch ball (confirmed).[/QUOTE]

You don't say what size the trailer is but a dumb question. Is the coupler for a 2" ball. If it's 1 7/8" it may go over the ball but never latch.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:11 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Dave, G.K. stated it was a brand new Scamp..... I believe they come with 2".
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:17 PM   #9

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Since its a new trailer Scamp must have used the coupler to move the trailer in production and the shipper must have used the coupler too so I suspect the ball you are trying to use must be different in some way. To get a socket on the nut under the coupler I have to use a thin wall socket. I guess someone could have adjusted it down to clamp on a 1-7/8" ball but that's not the right way to do it.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:24 PM   #10

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I think that I would contact SCAMP ASAP as you may have a damaged coupler. If they can't help you on the phone, they need to authorize a local RV dealer to make an on-site service call.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:53 PM   #11

Virginia
It's such a bummer. The plan was to take the scamp and park it at the RV park, as my HOA does not allow recreational vehicles. Called scamp folks also but was not able to get to someone from the production floor. They asked to call at 8-8:15 am, but I am not sure what they can do or advise over the phone.

Any thoughts on finding someone local who can help?
Old 11-25-2014, 04:56 PM   #12

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Dave, G.K. stated it was a brand new Scamp..... I believe they come with 2".
Dave & Paula

Yup I saw that but he said the ball not the coupler. I've always seen them, at least the smaller ones using a 1 7/8" coupler. A pic may help us all out.
G K, which Scamp do you have and what ball size is stamped on the coupler?
Old 11-25-2014, 05:00 PM   #13

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
The coupler on my Scamp 19 looks like this Atwood (the first or second picture).
Straight Tongue Couplers - Atwood Mobile
Does it look like it? If yes, then this link might help, it shows the parts kit. You can figure out how it works and go from there:
Coupler Repair Kit for Atwood 2-5/16" Yoke Style Atwood Accessories and Parts 15774
Also, does the mechanism move freely without the ball?
Hope this helps.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:03 PM   #14

Virginia
Here is the video from youtube look at 1:09 into the video.

The mechanism moves without the ball, that's how I secured it at night using a padlock.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:05 PM   #15

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
This is actually a better picture of it:
Trailer Coupler 2" Ball 2" Channel Tongue (5,000 lbs) Atwood Trailer Coupler 80081
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 05:08 PM   #16

Virginia
one more titbit of info. The scamp was delivered from factory to Virginia (this is where I am). The guy towed it behind his truck. I called him as well asking if he used a 2'' ball, and he said yes. I hope he told me the truth or knew for sure that his ball for 2'', and that he didn't tighten the nut at the bottom for the tongue to fit securely on a smaller ball.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:56 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by reachg View Post
one more titbit of info. The scamp was delivered from factory to Virginia (this is where I am). The guy towed it behind his truck. I called him as well asking if he used a 2'' ball, and he said yes. I hope he told me the truth or knew for sure that his ball for 2'', and that he didn't tighten the nut at the bottom for the tongue to fit securely on a smaller ball.
I got an idea. Go back and look at that video again. When is latched the trailer moves back just a bit. This normal. If you have the trailer chocked so that it can't move you may have either unchock it or jocky the tow back and forth abit after the hitch is lowered onto the ball.

I've had to do the jockying thing when I was parked on an incline and trailer chocked so wouldn't go into the river. You're not moving much but just enough for hitch to completely over the ball.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:19 PM   #18

Virginia
Byron - I noticed that as well, and that's the reason I took the ball off the car and using it directly with the coupler. I did have chocks which I removed as well. The last option is to find a way to loosen the coupler tongue using the adjuster nut, that is what I ahve not been able to try as the nut doesn't budge.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:27 PM   #19

California
The nut has to move, use a cheater bar or an impact gun. Worse case is it breaks and it's replaceable.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:39 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by reachg View Post
Byron - I noticed that as well, and that's the reason I took the ball off the car and using it directly with the coupler. I did have chocks which I removed as well. The last option is to find a way to loosen the coupler tongue using the adjuster nut, that is what I ahve not been able to try as the nut doesn't budge.
If it worked before it should work now. Maybe a little penetrating oil will loosen things up a bit.

I would be careful loosening the clamp nut. If there's something else wrong the couple could be pretty loose and maybe even come off while traveling.