Cape Lookout National Seashore - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-07-2015, 08:38 AM   #1

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Cape Lookout National Seashore

I'm not sure this is the right forum or even if its of interest to anyone in the group and its definitely not 'egg' friendly but Cape Lookout National Seashore is one of our favorite Parks. Mods, please move or delete as warranted.

CALO is part of the NC Outer Banks and is just south of the much more famous Cape Hatteras National Seashore. Its accessible only by boat or private ferry services (several pedestrian and three vehicle) and is one of the least visited federal properties. There are no roads or amenities but the Park Service does offer a number of primitive cabins with kitchens, bunks and bath facilities.

We recently spent four days tent camping on the Portsmouth Island section, which is about twenty five miles in length with an abandoned village on the northern end.

Vehicle ferry out of Morris Marina in Atlantic, NC

Camping is allowed most anywhere along the dune line

A quarter mile long swash from the beach to the parking area for the village limits the number of visitors.

Entering the Village with the Coast Guard Station in the foreground and its stables and dory shed in the back

The Methodist Church is still the focal point of the Village. Its bell was purchased from Montgomery Ward in the early 1900's and sounds great even today. At its peak, the village had nearly seven hundred residents and a dozen or so structures still remain including homes, the post office and the school.

Sunsets over the sound and a full moon rising over the ocean. Both pictures taken from the same spot - the island isn't very wide.

Cape Lookout NS has the most pristine beaches we've found anywhere on the east coast and, if tenting isn't for you, the Park Service cabins aren't bad at all. A 4WD vehicle does make it much easier to get around and would be a requirement to get to the village from the cabin area.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 03:55 PM   #2

Name: Evelyn
Oregon Coast
Wow, what a beautiful place to camp. This is exactly the kind of place I look for when I tent-camp...a bit of a challenge to get to, but totally worth the effort. And, thank you for reminding me that the West Coast isn't the only one with beautiful beaches!

(It might interest you to know that we have a Cape Lookout on the central Oregon Coast, too.)
Ev in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 06:00 PM   #3

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
The untold story is the Mosquitos, the tour operators out of Ocracoke wouldn't take us over to Portsmuth two years ago because they were so bad. Aside from that it is a wonderful place.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:31 PM   #4

Thanks, Ev. We hope to visit the west coast version someday soon. I may call on you for suggestions when we get out that way if you don't mind.

Not an untold story at all. As a frequent visitor since the late sixties, it depends on when you go, wind direction/velocity, temperatures and amount of recent rain. Any time before late May and after early October are generally safe. Last weekend, we had a couple of Mosquitos in the Village parking area - none on the drive to or within the Village itself. No greeheads at all anywhere. No one in our group used any repellent during our four day stay.

No denying it, the bugs can be a problem and as you unfortunately saw, the tour operators will suspend trips when they're at their worst but it's been our experience the good days far outnumber the bad.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:39 PM   #5

Name: Evelyn
Oregon Coast
[QUOTE=Al & Cindy K;521120]Thanks, Ev. We hope to visit the west coast version someday soon. I may call on you for suggestions when we get out that way if you don't mind.

It'd be my pleasure. When the time comes, you can send me a personal message & I'll do my best to steer you in the right direction.

The only beaches other than on the West Coast that I've had the pleasure of visiting were in central Florida back in the 1960s. I was shocked that the water was so warm! In these parts, you need a wetsuit if you're planning on spending more than 5-10 minutes playing in the water. (Unless you're a kid or a dog, that is. Both are immune to such unpleasantness. )
Ev in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 06:25 PM   #6

Name: PHYLLIS
Trailer: 1978 Fiberstream
Oregon
And we have very few mosquitos too! I grew up in Delaware and New Jersey but I have lived on the central coast of Oregon since 1973. It truly is beautiful and you are in the wild west.
philly4427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:22 AM   #7

Phyllis, I'll take that as an offer for guide services as well. Thanks!!