Cappuccino Lover? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-14-2007, 05:34 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Here's the Bialetti Mukka Express, a stove top cappuccino maker that one can
take camping and use on the range or a picnic table camping stove.
Kinda pricey at about $90... If milk is a problem, I suppose powdered
milk could be used (I think powdered milk is essentially skim/non-fat
milk from what I see on the nutrition table on the box).
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:39 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
the Cow one is JUST what I need!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:05 PM   #3

Then you'll be happy to know that they also have Cow Cups
Old 08-14-2007, 06:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
I want the pink one! What a neato invention.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:
Here's the Bialetti Mukka Express, a stove top cappuccino maker that one can
take camping and use on the range or a picnic table camping stove.
Kinda pricey at about $90... If milk is a problem, I suppose powdered
milk could be used (I think powdered milk is essentially skim/non-fat
milk from what I see on the nutrition table on the box).

We got one last year. Not perfect cappuccino but not half bad either. Of course, if you leave out the milk, it also makes nice espresso.
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:40 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Very interesting!

I am familiar with the Italian coffee maker (such as the Bialetti's classic Moka Express) - in my father-in-law's house one is expected to be able to use one - but I had not heard of this variation which adds a pressure regulator and frother to prepare the milk at the same time.

This type of coffee maker in general is well suited to trailer use, since it is compact and needs nothing but a stove burner. We found a really inexpensive two-cup model and bought it just for use in the Boler... again, without the milk feature.

It's also better for cleanup than an French press, because the grounds are contained in the little cup in the funnel.

If you don't want typical strong espresso, just adjust the water/coffee ratio for the desired strength... it's just a filter coffee maker, using steam pressure to push the water up instead of dripping down by gravity.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:06 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (Previously 2004 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel)
I received the cow version as a Christmas present last year. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the drinks it produces. It took a little practice to get the hang of it, but that's half the fun anyway!
Karen T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:46 AM   #8

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B
I bought a "campfire" cappucino maker at a dollar store here in canada--makes 4 cups...Cost about $6. Has the little funnel for grounds,again the steam pushes the water up and over the grounds---quite a nice little unit..and quite quick.

Then I bought a metal cup that holds 2 cups milk (cheapo at Princess Auto) and a battery operated milk frother.. I also have a small bottle of sf flavorings--what more do you need?

Uses 2 burners, to make the coffee, heat the milk and I bought great big "melmac" latte cups and just as good as home!!!! We feel kinda smug on coolish mornings sitting at our front dinette in our "little" egg, listening to Cd's and sipping on a latte.......
Doug & Anna-Marie P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 01:32 PM   #9

My daughter reports that her Target store carries the Mukka. I use a six-cup Moka myself to make my coffee, with a tablespoon of El Cheapo French Roast from Wally and a tablespoon of fine-grind Cuban coffee.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:35 PM   #10

Trailer: 1987 17 ft Burro
We've gotone too. Now, it'snot exactly like to big countertop guys at home, but it really does make a decent mocha!!
Christi W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:43 PM   #11

Trailer: Bigfoot 13 ft
I use that cappuccino maker every day . Ideal for making one cup or two . Simplicity never fails . The less junk you carry when going camping, the more enjoyable the whole thing is .
Henryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 10:42 AM   #12

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
WOW ! I love this forum!

I ordered one of the Mukka Express pots. I think this will be the idea accessory, ... small, light, fast.

Keep up the good work folks! I'm sure there are many more ideas out there that we all can benefit from.
LSChilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:02 PM   #13

Trailer: Burro 13 ft 1979
Quote:
WOW ! I love this forum!

I ordered one of the Mukka Express pots. I think this will be the idea accessory, ... small, light, fast.

Keep up the good work folks! I'm sure there are many more ideas out there that we all can benefit from.
Did not buy one but saw them at "Bed Bath and Beyond" store today for $89 bucks.
Dave
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:18 PM   #14

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
What are the internal parts of this made out of?
I was wondering if anyone knows if they are stainless steel or aluminum?
Thanks
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:04 PM   #15

Quote:
What are the internal parts of this made out of?
I was wondering if anyone knows if they are stainless steel or aluminum?
The classic ones I've seen with a cast aluminum housing appear to have stainless steel internal parts... but I'm not sure.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:43 PM   #16

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:
The classic ones I've seen with a cast aluminum housing appear to have stainless steel internal parts... but I'm not sure.

Just took a look at mine. The pot is aluminum but it appears that the vent and the frother outlet tube are stainless steel.
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:57 PM   #17

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Quote:
The pot is aluminum
Thanks for checking that Carol. That's too bad it's aluminum, I try to stay away from aluminum cookware due to the link between aluminum and Alzheimers and family history of same.
Guess i'll be sticking with my stainless steel little stovetop perc , the thought of a cappuccino or espresso was so inviting though!
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:40 AM   #18

Quote:
That's too bad it's aluminum, I try to stay away from aluminum cookware...
Although most products of this type which I have seen have cast aluminum housings, Bialetti does have stainless steel stovetop espresso makers, which have the same functional design, in somewhat different shapes - no milk frothing feature (so no one-step cappuccino) and sorry Gina, no cow patterns!
Old 08-22-2007, 07:17 PM   #19

My Bialetti Moka's metal parts are all aluminum, even the filter, except for the hinge pin on the lid. I would expect the Mukka to be of similar construction.

Here's what Scientific American had to say about Aluminum and Alzheimer's Disease, and here's the Snopes article that led me to SA. Here's a fact sheet from the UK Alzheimer's Society, and here's a US Gummint opinion, and here's a Canadian Alzheimer's Association view.

It seemed to me that most of the sites linking aluminum and Alzheimer's had something to sell...
Old 10-14-2010, 08:31 PM   #20

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Ressurecting an old thread... We received a Mukka cappuccino maker as a wedding gift (yes, I registered for it!), and have been VERY happy with it. The only problem is that it only makes one at a time! We get a good espresso roast and properly grind it. Sometimes I just get a can of Lavazza brand espresso grounds, since I used to work in an Italian restaurant that used Lavazza beans... I have fond memories of it.

The Mukka works well with soy milk, too... which is all that we had in the house... before we had a baby.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote