Carbon Monoxide - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2014, 05:37 PM   #1

Name: Josh
Trailer: Scamp
New York
Carbon Monoxide

Another newbie question: our Scamp has propane heat. Should I put a Carbon Monoxide detector in the trailer? And/or a smoke detector?
JALEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:47 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
At the risk of starting another "fear-mongering" thread, I say better safe than sorry ( or worse, dead ).
I have smoke detector, propane detector and a CO detector.
When looking at smoke detectors, get one designed for the kitchen, which allows you to press a button to shut off the alarm for 10 minutes after a false alarm ( like making toast ).
I will be replacing my propane detector with one that also detects CO.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:38 PM   #3

Trailer: Tote N Tarry
I did away with our propane stove and tank and went all electric, including heat and cooktop, and bought a low temperature rated sleeping bag. Now I only have those portable propane cylinders for cooking, and only use them outside. I wanted to eliminate all fire and fume hazards inside my trailer. Glenn is correct, "better safe than sorry."
Filbert V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:41 PM   #4

Name: Josh
New York
I agree. As much as I miss them, I'm not ready for a visit yet.
Do they make combo propane, CO, and smoke detectors.
JALEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:50 PM   #5

I've never heard of a propane fume detector before, but at home my smoke alarm and CO detector are separate. The smoke on goes on the ceiling, and the other on the wall, as both have different weights and hang out in the environment differently.

Carbon Monoxide Detector Placement - Carbon Monoxide - Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Amazon.com: Combination Smoke & Carbon Monoxide Detectors: Tools & Home Improvement

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_39i96v1a0z_b
Old 04-16-2014, 06:54 PM   #6

Optimum would be combo propane / CO detector and also a smoke detector. Follow instructions on mounting them.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:58 PM   #7

Most designed for home use say to place at least 15 feet from any cooking or heating source which is impossible in a 13 foot trailer! Better to sleep with the windows or air vent cracked open for ventilation.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:03 PM   #8

Which is why I have a "kitchen" smoke detector with the "pause" button to shut it down for 10 min. if it goes off when it shouldn't ( have the same at home ). Has gone off a few times just boiling water, when I forgot to turn the exhaust fan on.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:00 PM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I am all for gas detection. No I don't believe this is "fear mongering". In fact exactly the opposite. Monitoring for a dangerous situation is a far better approach, in my opinion, then tossing anything that is just deemed too old, and might be a problem.

The company I work for sells these:
BW Technologies by Honeywell Gas Alert Series Gas Monitors from JJS

I have seen three gas units sell for $410, in the US:
QualityInstruments-Direct.com

LEL, (propane), O2, and CO. Seems like the perfect combo to me. You can go with three gasses, or select one more gas to monitor. In the linked to unit that additional gas would have to be H2S, but I don't see the point. I don't plan to camp near a sour facility.

BW makes on that is closer to $1500 that, besids the three gas's already mentioned, it can also monitor H2S, SO2, PH3, NH3, NO2, HCN, Cl2, ClO2, O3 and PID (VOCs).
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:19 AM   #10

Name: Russ & Vivian
Pennsylvania
I have smoke detector, and a CO detector installed in my Scamp, would rather be safe than sorry. So yes a very good idea.
Shadow56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:35 AM   #11

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filbert V. View Post
I did away with our propane stove and tank and went all electric, including heat and cooktop, and bought a low temperature rated sleeping bag. Now I only have those portable propane cylinders for cooking, and only use them outside. I wanted to eliminate all fire and fume hazards inside my trailer. Glenn is correct, "better safe than sorry."
As others have said, having detectors for smoke, carbon monoxide, and propane is a good safety precaution. Getting rid of all propane appliances in your trailer because you are afraid of "fire and fume hazards" is overkill IMHO. When properly cared for, propane powered appliances and supply systems are exceptionally safe to use, as is evidenced by millions of RV'ers using these systems for many many years without any issues whatsoever. Unless you want to be perpetually committed staying in sites that provide electrical services, leave your propane appliances and supply systems in place and enjoy them.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:01 AM   #12

I did not remove them just because they were a safety hazard, but because they were old, ugly, and full of rust an corrosion to boot! We just spent a wonderful weekend away in a county park which supplied only water and electric, and only used the small propane cylinder to make some coffee the next morning. The Mexican border was only 5 miles away, so we were able to cross the border into the charming town of Tecate for both a hot dinner on Saturday night, and an incredible Easter Sunday breakfast. Needless to say, we did not miss the 5 gallon cylinder of propane. File this thread under "to each his own", but we're quite happy with our decision.