caribbean camping - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-09-2006, 09:03 AM   #1

Trailer: 1300 Trillium
We saw a special airfare to St Thomas and couldn't pass it up. I had been reading about various campgrounds in the Virgin Islands, so we dug out all our backpacking gear and planned to be island bums ferrying about and enjoying some of the reportedly most beautiful campsites in the world. I noticed flights were selling out quickly so I jumped in. Then I called for a campsite reservation...OOOPS!...all sold out...oh dear. We ended up with a tent cabin in cinnamon bay, st johns national park for the entire stay. We felt lucky to get it. Not what we had in mind but now we can travel much lighter. We've never been so we are very excited. Sadly, we can't take the trailer...but it's still camping! Airfare special ends today.

Old 01-09-2006, 11:42 AM   #2

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie
Maggie

That sounds very eggsciting! Remember to take your camera, and then post pics so those of us stuck in the snow and the rain can vicariously enjoy your trip!

Old 01-09-2006, 11:52 AM   #3

Thanks Jackie, I feel like a dancing okra in anticipation. We go in february. I still have not figured out the photo thing on this apple computer, but if I can post I will.
Old 01-09-2006, 02:55 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Roger L.
Cinnamon Bay camping is awesome!! Also, best beach on the island!
We have camped at Maho and several times at Cinnamon... both with their tent and our own. It's a truly unique experience. And you will not miss the trailer.
Have a great time!!
RoRo
Old 01-09-2006, 03:51 PM   #5

Thanks RoRo, That is good news. I haven't flown anywhere in 15 years. The time between buying non refundable tickets and finding a place to stay was uncomfortable but I think it worked out for the best. I am wondering if the tent cabins are buggy. Did you ever ferry over to tortola or jost van dyke?
Old 01-09-2006, 05:28 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Roger L.
Maggie,
February is a good time to go. There may be some biting bugs, but it should not be too bad. Take some repellent with you to use as needed. I am very tasty to mosquitos and sand fleas, so I don't sit directly in the sand, especially near any vegetation. And I spray my legs at dinner time for sitting at a table in an open air dining area.

You will be able to book excursions right from Cinnamon Bay. We took a day boat to Virgin Gorda and some snorkel day sails. Also, don't hesitate to take a cab (pickup truck with bench seats in the back) into town (Cruz Bay) for shops and restaurants.

Getting to ST. John, the routine is to take a cab to Red Hook and take the ferry from there. Then on the return, take the ferry directly to Charlotte Amalie.

Be sure and let us know what you do on this adventure!
Rose
Old 01-09-2006, 05:47 PM   #7

I've been reading what I can find. Some people have kept very detailed journals. Comments are all over the place. And apparently, there are marauding donkeys that kick around your camp till they get all your food. They didn't mention that in the brochure. I was picturing white airy tent cabins, but some say they are dark green and cavelike. Oh well it'll be quite an adventure for us. My trip assignment: get a photo of one (or more) of those donkeys!
Old 01-10-2006, 09:10 AM   #8
g stock

there is a campground called vi's, short for violet's, on the east end of st john that is for tent camping. it is on a very beautiful beach, quite primitive, not at all the set up of cinnamon bay.
(and alot less money). there is tent camping on jost van dyke as well. i have heard that there are terrible no seeums when sleeping out, friends of mine were driven insane and returned home, (to st thomas). i live on a boat and the bugs don't bother me.
there is an active forum at http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/usviforum.html where you can ask questions about travel and locals will respond right away.
enjoy your trip!
Old 01-10-2006, 12:06 PM   #9

Thanks for the link. Vi's sounds great. I will look to see if I can find a way to contact them. Pre trip research is half the fun.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:43 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
I watched a movie recently where the guy's dream was to fly to a camping trip (his camp stove was a problem at check-in) but then he floated off on some helium balloons in a lawn chair instead. Australian.

No. it's true, there was a movie like that.

Okay, I am going to my room now.
Old 01-14-2006, 07:34 AM   #11

Quote:
I watched a movie recently where the guy's dream was to fly to a camping trip (his camp stove was a problem at check-in) but then he floated off on some helium balloons in a lawn chair instead. Australian.

No. it's true, there was a movie like that.

Okay, I am going to my room now.

Danny Deckchair! I love that movie!
Old 01-16-2006, 12:06 AM   #12

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Quote:
Danny Deckchair! I love that movie!

Oh, good!