Carpeting On The Wall & Ceiling? - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-17-2007, 07:29 PM   #1

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
I find that most of the websites for the trailers give limited info but about 7 years ago when we considered purchasing one of the small units I remembered that Casita had carpeted walls/ceiling and that we had been more interested in the Burro because maybe it didn't. We did decide at that time to go with the wood framed/metal sided (the kind that shakes apart). I would not want a unit with carpeting on the walls/ceiling for several reasons (alergies, dust, in high humidity - mold). So does Scamp have carpet everywhere? I liked that Eggcamper's interior from the pictures. I don't even like carpeting in the house. Any help would be appreciated. Cathy

Old 02-17-2007, 07:56 PM   #2

Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
Angry

Scamp does not have carpet but a fabric covering over alumin foil bubble rap-like matteral (insulation), at Scamp Factory they assured me that the fabric would not mold, it is on ceiling of shower/bathroom. It can be vacuumed. Seems like Scamp owners call it rat fur. It is a tan, and kind of fur-like. We like it. Perhaps some of the older Scamps had another type of wall covering. I am not sure.

Good Luck

AW

2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:05 AM   #3

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Some relevant discussion threads for you:
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:02 AM   #4

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Pre 1987 Scamp's used Ensolite, often called Elephant Skin/Hide.

If the trailer develops mold on the carpet, ya got more serious problems going on than just the moldy wallcoverings.

The rat fur in my trailer is tan and I feel makes the trailer a cozy environment.

Brian provided some great links too.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 04:48 PM   #5

Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
Angry

Quote:
Pre 1987 Scamp's used Ensolite, often called Elephant Skin/Hide.

If the trailer develops mold on the carpet, ya got more serious problems going on than just the moldy wallcoverings.

The rat fur in my trailer is tan and I feel makes the trailer a cozy environment.

Brian provided some great links too.
Ours is TAN as well, not sure why I was thinking gray and I am an art teacher, too. I've labeled the rat fur as gray in other replys as well.

Embarrassing!

Donna D do you know what this rat fur is called, other than fabric?

I agree on the cozy enviroment.

AW
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:26 PM   #6

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Burro and UHaul have a narrow carpeted strip covering the ceiling joint, otherwise white gelcoated fiberglass interiors which are bright and easy to clean. One of our motivations for seeking a UHaul or Burro was my wife's claustrophobic reaction to Scamp's ratfur interior. Chacun son gut!
Old 02-18-2007, 05:36 PM   #7

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Ours is TAN as well, not sure why I was thinking gray and I am an art teacher, too. I've labeled the rat fur as gray in other replys as well.
Embarrassing! Donna D do you know what this rat fur is called, other than fabric?
I agree on the cozy enviroment.
AW
Color? I've seen the real light blue used too in a Scamp...thought it looked cold. As much as I complain about all the BROWN, surprisingly the tan rat fur is a-okay.

Scamp calls it "Head Liner Wall Fabric" in their parts list. Rat fur is easier...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 06:09 PM   #8

Trailer: 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Hi,

We have had no problems with our Casita and like the easy cleaning of the insides. We both have alergy issues, etc. but not from the Casita. If you keep your trailer clean and aired out you will be fine unless you have water leaks. Under and attached to that carpet is a layer of foam that serves as insulation...works great!

Rand:-)
Old 02-18-2007, 06:11 PM   #9

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
I'm pretty sure the "rat fur" is an automotive upholstery fabric, and I can believe it is used for custom headliners. Around here, some of us call the short-pile auto upholstery fabric which became very common in the 1980's "mouse fur", because it's usually grey, and because here in Alberta we don't have rats.

When I talked to a Scamp staff member by phone about wall covering once, he called it rat fur. I guess they have rats in Minnesota.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:47 PM   #10

Name: Vivian
Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
Washington
When we were researching Scamp a long time ago, we found information in their literature that the wall liner is a "marine grade fabric" which made us think it might also be used in boats. We live in a very damp marine climate on the Oregon Coast and have never had a problem with mold except under the sink when I left a damp sponge too long without proper ventilation, but it cleaned up nicely. Rust is another matter!

Vivian