carrying a kayak - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-24-2012, 05:50 AM   #15
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Because of the shape of the door frame, no one makes a rack for our Frontier. As such we use the foam blocks and tie down straps made by Yakima to carry our canoe. Two problems with this set up. The first is that with the straps go through the vehicle. If it rains, they drip and you get wet. Second is that the roof is relatively flat, thin sheet metal and there is a tendency for the blocks to dent the roof when you tighten the straps. Travelling within a couple hours from home, this works fine. But I would not try a cross country trip with this set up. Bob's story makes me even more cautious. Raz

Old 04-24-2012, 09:26 AM   #16

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
If money is not a problem, there are some folding kayaks out there. Folbot, Klepper and Feathercraft are three brands that have been around for a while.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
So they do sell foam blocks for carrying a kayak on the roof, eh? Any suggestion on who sells them?
In Canada you can purchase them from Mountain Equipment Co-op - pretty sure you will be able to find them in the US at REI. The ones they sell at the Co-op have a slit in them that is meant to go over the cross bars of the rack. The ones that go right onto the roof IMHO have nothing to prevent them from shifting around. Have used the foam on the cross bars many times (you can also go cheap and just go to a hardware store and buy the foam that goes around pipes as well. As suggested it is important that you take note of your rakes weight cap & make sure you securing the kayak at the front and back to the underside of the cars front and rear bumper if you plan to travel more than a few blocks.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #18

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
I forgot to mention that I have hauled kayaks for about 20 years are more and have used all sorts of ropes & straps etc to tie them down at the front and back. Have found the V Straps that are made for doing this (should be able to get at REI) such as the one the photo are the ones that are easiest to use and really do stop the kayak from shifting side to side.
Attached Images

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:02 AM   #19

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I found a (relatively) good deal on a "closeout" 2011 Hobie Mirage Sport on ebay today, so I took the plunge. (My wife had that disapproving look on her face about spending that much money, but I've decided this will be my "summer of the kayak," and the Hobies really retain resale value well.) I've decided I will get some J racks for roof carry. The Sport is about 48 lbs so it shouldn't be too hard to load and unload. Thanks to all for the suggestions and valuable information!
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:54 AM   #20
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Happy paddling.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:15 AM   #21

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Now I'm looking at the Yakima Mako Aero kayak saddles as they will clamp directly onto my Honda's factory rack without using a rack/load bar set up. They sell for $99 a pair and you need two pair for one kayak. I've found them several places for $89.10 a pair. I prefer carrying a kayak in the upright position with a cockpit cover on it, they seem to set better and are easier to load.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:25 AM   #22

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Watch out for the cockpit covers blowing off at freeway speeds. Don't ask me how I know!
Old 04-29-2012, 07:58 AM   #23

Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
My cockpit covers have a strap that goes around the kayak, haven't lost one yet! Hope I didn't jinx myself by saying that. I got the covers because on one trip it rained while we were on the road and that made the kayaks real heavy to unload. Bob
Old 04-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #24

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
For years I've witnessed many a canoe tied onto a vehicle with it's "bottom" up. Is there any particular reason one does not do that with a Kayak?
Old 04-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #25

New York
I have always carried our canoe bottom up, but that's because of the foam blocks sit on the top rails of the canoe. I have a home made kayak rack that sits in the bed of my old full size pickup with the 8 foot box. I sometimes load the kayaks bottom up on that. I've wondered though if wind would more get into the kayak in that position and cause more of a lift effect. Just the hull shape of a kayak makes more of a tendency to load them upright, and the racks that are available seem to be designed to do that.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:42 PM   #26

Name: John J.
Trailer: 13' Scamp / 34' Sunnybrook Titan
Virginia
Good Afternoon, This is your Lucky Day. I have a 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan, with two beautiful Kayaks sitting on top in their Yakima Saddled Kayak Carriers, one is a 16-17' QCC600XL Kevlar baby with a 21" beam, Turquoise and Creme and the Other is a wonderful Necky Zoar Sport 14' plastic kayak with a 27" beam. You can see them in the featured ads on Paddling.net all for $6.000. That is the Car, The Racks, the Kayaks, paddles and just about any thing else kayak I can find around the house. Just don't haggle about the price. Its fair for what you are getting. I live in Chesapeake Virginia, next to Virginia Beach to the east and North Carolina on the south.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #27

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
For years I've witnessed many a canoe tied onto a vehicle with it's "bottom" up. Is there any particular reason one does not do that with a Kayak?
Yes. The hull is stronger than the top side.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #28

Name: Laura
Trailer: Teardrop American Outbacker
Utah
We have been very happy with our Sea Eagle inflatable kayaks. Here is a link to the best one: Sea Eagle: FastTrack

There are cheaper inflatables out there, but these have the best seats and they're super tough.

Here's a YouTube video about them: Sea Eagle FastTrack paddling on Lake Tahoe - YouTube

I love that I can just throw them in the car and not have to worry about them.