Cart before the Horse? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #1

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
Cart before the Horse?

We are planning a camping trip (assuming that we purchase a camper this weekend like we are planning). We live in Southern MN and my son has been asking for 2 years to go to Mount Rushmore. There is a period of time coming up in October where we will have about 5 1/2 days to work with. Don't want to drive more than 3 or four hours a day and it is about a nine hour drive. Would like to space out the trip....along I-90 I think it is....would like to see all the fun things along that route (Corn Palace, Badlands, Wall, Mount Rushmore....I think there is a drive through safari type thing somewhere as well)....any suggestions on campgrounds? We are buying a scamp (i think) without a shower, and we do have a port-a potty.... Soiux Falls is about 3 hours from us...so camping near there the first night would be good....otherwise, no solid plans....thanks in advance!
Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #2

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
cricket--i cannot help you as to the questions you pose, not knowing this area at all...but i do wish you and your son a fantastic trip!!

happy camping.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
When you get the RV, you will have to change your log in name. I don't want to jinx it, but what are you going to buy?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #4

Minnesota
We have decided on a scamp I think....looking at a couple this week... (actually we've looked at a couple a week for the last 3 weeks, but decided to go a little newer than we had been looking at)!
Old 10-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
the KOA in the Badlands is wonderful if you have pets and the stars at night unbelievable as is the Badlands by moonlight, about 40 miles south from Rapid City/Mt Rushmore. Corn Palace is before your get there and Wall Drug is near Badlands. Needles Highway is scenic way on up to Spearfish where the creek/stream water runs thru your front yards. There is a nice KOA there as well as one in Deadwood where you can be in the jury for the trial of who shot Wild Bill. Visit a real gold mine in Lead, SD about 5 miles up from Deadwood. Go west to Sheridan Wyoming, about 90 miles west of Spearfish where you can see the "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" movie symbol- Devils Tower. Drive faster and spend 3 days there.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:56 PM   #6

Name: Randy
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD
Duluth,Minnesota
All I know if I went back out there I would stay at Custer State Park- haven't stayed there but a lot of people on the forums sure seem to like camping there. We stayed at an expensive private park in Rapid City and wasn't that impressed. Since there is at least 3 of you that are going to be staying in the Scamp I hope it is a 16' instead of a 13'. There are 3 of us that sleep in our 17' Casita and even that gets a little crowded when the weather is bad and were stuck inside for any length of time. If you can afford it going a little newer should be a good thing. Good luck on whatever you choose!!
Randy Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #7

Name: Drew
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 16ft, Layout 4
Minnesota
Custer State Park is great, I've stayed only a small handful of times but it was nice and nestled in gorgeous land.

Be careful about the elevation that you select for camping if you're weary of snow- I chose a campground higher up for Memorial Day weekend once- and woke up to 2+ inches of snow!
DrewSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Keystone and Hill City are interesting places. There is an old time Steam train that goes between the two towns that you will likely enjoy. You ride the train from one town to the other. They let you out to hit some stores. After a couple hours you get back on and ride back. While in the area look for some of the flavored honey for sale. Somewhat pricey for the size of the containers but great on toast. There is a small shop in Keystone that is the cheapest for it. It is across the street from the Railroad station in Keystone and about 1/2 way down the block.
Just South of Rapid City there is the Reptile Gardens. It is worth seeing.
There is a campground near there. Also Keystone has some in the immediate area.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:00 AM   #9

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
well first off, you live in scamp land,,,i think its a state law that you can only buy a scamp.
as to what sites to camp at,,, a little time on the computer search button will tell that. look at things and cities along the way you want to see and it will pretty much map itself out for you. and if it doesn't fit a tight plan? so what? go have fun and pick up where you left off next time.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:16 AM   #10

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
I've never camped there, but there are a number of places near Pipestone National Monument. That's not terribly far from Sioux Falls.

Campgrounds - Pipestone National Monument

You'll enjoy the Black Hills. I went to college at SD Tech Way Back In The Day and spent pretty much every weekend up in the hills. It's not going to be so crazy-crowded now that the summer tourists have gone back to wherever they came from.

When you're in Rapid, stop in at the Forest Service HQ and pick up some maps. They'll aim you at some campgrounds that rarely have crowds.

Enjoy!
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #11

Minnesota
Do you think i will have an issue with any of the campgrounds being closed? What about their facilities? Traveling after october 15......
Old 10-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #12

Trailer: 2007 Casita
You could, but I would think that most would close after the end of Oct. Best thing to do is google, camping, city/area you want to stay in, and see what comes up. Sorry can't help with campground info from you direction but will second/third/forth Custer State Park!

But also add, I haven't see a lot of campgrounds up there that I wouldn't stay in. Most are very nice.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:27 PM   #13

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Custer State Park was among our favorites on our trip from Minnesota, Scamp headquarters, to California, our home. Our encounters with the slow-moving buffalo were amazing and prepared us for the buffalo throngs in Yellowstone. There is a pretty lake there and some lovely drives. Check out the historic lodge. Also check out Badger Hole as described in Wikipedia; "Badger Hole, also known as Badger Clark Historical Site, was the home of Charles Badger Clark (1883–1957), who was named South Dakota's first Poet Laureate in 1937[5] and was noted for his cowboy poetry. The house is maintained as it was when Clark lived there. Visitors can tour the home and hike the adjacent Badger Clark Historic Trail." We stayed at Custer for several days. We even got top-notch advice and assistance from the camp host when we needed to get a replacement tire for our car pronto.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote