Casita 16-17 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2017, 02:56 AM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Casita 16-17

OK folks, want to pick your brains a bit. I can see the difference in weight between the 16 and 17 which is a fair amount. But as I've never had the chance to walk through the 16 and I have a 17, I really don't see any real interior difference at least on paper. Where is the difference in the real world layout and use to living inside the two? I only looked for a 17 because of the flat door after reading of so many problems with the curved doors sealing no matter which make. FYI, I come from a long line of sticks. But back to my main thought. Wouldn't a 16 with the AC on the roof, pretty much over the axle, make better sence than in the front wall for interior storage space lost and trailer cooling? The 16 back in the mid 90s had a flat door. Anyway, just a thought as the overall weight, especially on the tongue, would open it up a lot of folks to be able to tow it.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:28 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The main dinette bed in the 16'er is only 45" wide (same as most standard Scamps, a carry-over from the original Boler design) versus 54" in the 17'er. That accounts for the lion's share of the length difference and also for the overwhelming popularity of the 17'er. The 16'er is 5'10" tall inside (another carry-over), with a raised floor under the rear dinette. The rear window is smaller and doesn't open. I've never seen a 16'er with a flat door.

A/C in the front cabinet is quieter, less vibration, cheaper, preserves limited headroom, and enables the 16'er (without raised suspension) to fit in an 8' garage. Roof mount, of course, cools better due to better air flow both inside and outside. Weight distribution is a toss-up. Weight way up high isn't good either.

From my observation, Casita has little interest in selling 16'ers and consequently little interest in updating the design. Towing weight is the main reason they still sell a few.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:33 PM   #3

Name: Andrew
Trailer: On the market
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
OK folks, want to pick your brains a bit. I can see the difference in weight between the 16 and 17 which is a fair amount. But as I've never had the chance to walk through the 16 and I have a 17, I really don't see any real interior difference at least on paper. Where is the difference in the real world layout and use to living inside the two? I only looked for a 17 because of the flat door after reading of so many problems with the curved doors sealing no matter which make. FYI, I come from a long line of sticks. But back to my main thought. Wouldn't a 16 with the AC on the roof, pretty much over the axle, make better sence than in the front wall for interior storage space lost and trailer cooling? The 16 back in the mid 90s had a flat door. Anyway, just a thought as the overall weight, especially on the tongue, would open it up a lot of folks to be able to tow it.

I remember a friend of mine who had one telling me that the 16 foot ceiling has a dome on it for extra room, and the 17 doesn't. Probably why you don't put in the air-conditioner on the 16.
saltydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:50 PM   #4

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltydog View Post
I remember a friend of mine who had one telling me that the 16 foot ceiling has a dome on it for extra room, and the 17 doesn't. Probably why you don't put in the air-conditioner on the 16.
The "dome," or trolley roof, as it's usually called, is actually more pronounced on the 17'er than the 16'er, creating more headroom. It is really more of a bump-up than a dome, with a gentle arch from front to back. It also adds strength to the roof (kind of like the ribs that run across the roof of most vans and SUVs).

Here's a Casita 16:
Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Casita 16.JPG Views: 15 Size: 378.5 KB ID: 109484" style="margin: 2px" />

And here's a Casita 17:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Casita 17.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	286.5 KB
ID:	109485
Old 07-27-2017, 09:52 PM   #5

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
"I remember a friend of mine who had one telling me that the 16 foot ceiling has a dome on it for extra room, and the 17 doesn't. Probably why you don't put in the air-conditioner on the 16."

That is not correct...

The 16 footer doesn't have the same headroom, nor the "dome" you mention. The 17 footer does. I'm 6' 2" tall, and the 16 footer only has about 5' 8" of "headroom." My 17 footer has enough headroom, (6' 2") for me to stand upright and not have to play "Quasimodo" inside.

And the roof on the 17 footers has built-in extra reinforcement in the roof to support the weight of the roof mounted A/C that the 16 footer doesn't have, which is why they don't mount the A/C unit on the roof of the 16 footers.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:25 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Good explanation Jon. I had a neighbor that had a '95 with the flat square cornered door. I called Casita to find out the years that had them. The guy I talked to remembered them but couldn't tell me the years. MMMM, any one want to bet that Donna D doesn't have that info bookmarked ?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:58 AM   #7

Arizona
Registry
Early 17'ers had a flat, square-cornered door, which was later upgraded to a flat, radius-cornered door. Couldn't find a 1995 with pictures, but here's an old ad for a 1996 with the square door:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-80716.html

Pretty sure 16'ers have always had a curved door. Here's one ad for a 1995 Casita 16:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-77508.html
Old 07-28-2017, 07:29 AM   #8

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
...the roof on the 17 footers has built-in extra reinforcement in the roof to support the weight of the roof mounted A/C that the 16 footer doesn't have, which is why they don't mount the A/C unit on the roof of the 16 footers.
...which is a rather unsatisfying explanation, since they could add the reinforcement, just like Scamp did. Of course, with headroom already under 6', and roof A/C hanging down another inch or two...

Name:   Bump.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  1.8 KB

On the other hand, you can still park a Casita 16 with A/C and standard suspension in an 8' garage, which can't be said for a Scamp 16 or Casita 17 with roof A/C.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:35 AM   #9

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
The 16 has 5’10” height in the center of the aisle, the 17 has over 6’. I’m pretty much exactly 5’10’ tall. I can just stand up normally in my stocking feet. My head brushes the carpeting in the morning so when I exit the trailer I usually have a bad case of static electricity hair. The 16 has a slightly wider center aisle (a couple of inches which we actually measured one time when the topic came up at a rally) as the refrigerator is not as deep. It doesn’t have a freezer either and the cubic feet of the fridge interior is less. The narrower bed in the 16 has already been mentioned.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:47 AM   #10

Name: claire
Trailer: 2013 casita pd
Texas
in addition to the above mentioned differences, the 16ft casita does not have a screen door, the 17ft does. the tank capacities are also larger on the 17ft. if memory serves. dry weight of 17ft is approximately 300lbs more than the 16ft.
clairemr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I believe the refrig is smaller in the 16
But i ve never been in one to verify
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:20 PM   #12

Name: Jim
Trailer: Casita
Arizona
My 17 ft casita Click image for larger version

Name:	20170520_193517.jpg