Casita - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #21

Name: allen
Trailer: 2005 Casita SD 17'
Arkansas
I have towed single and tandem axle boat trailers and always found the tandem axle trailers to be more stable and easier to back up, but maybe that's just me.
allen jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:06 PM   #22

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by allen jackson View Post
I like the looks of the Scamp, but I also like the fact that I am fairly close to the Casita factory in Texas.
Although they don't clearly label the photos in their website, Casita makes both 16' and 17' models and shows both; the 16' (the one with the curved door) is very much like a Scamp. By very much, I mean the Scamp 16' is a stretched copy of a Boler 13', and the Casita 16' is a copy of the Scamp 16'.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #23

Quote:
My 1995 Toyota T100..

... I actually prefer tongue weight on the heavy side ...
One of the limitations of the T100 was that it came in only one wheelbase (122"), which is short even by current midsize truck standards. The overhang beyond the rear axle is long to fit in enough box, so hitch weight really levers load off the front axle onto the rear axle; I would watch the rear axle load if increasing the weight on the hitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlon View Post
Even cheaper and easier to add air bags that can be inflated when needed.
I think air bags are great, and help the truck handle high rear axle load due to hitch weight; however, keep in mind that they do not increase the axle weight rating at all.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #24

Quote:
I have towed single and tandem axle boat trailers and always found the tandem axle trailers to be more stable and easier to back up, but maybe that's just me.
Properly setup, tandem axles do increase stability - the two axles are always fighting each other when you turn, so they are always trying to keep the trailers going straight. They problem is only when you let them go nose-down... that was what I thought might have been the issue with the fishtailing U-Haul.

I don't get how backing up a tandem is better - the stupid things just resist turning. It may be that for most people with single-axle and tandem-axle experience, the tandems are the longer trailers (they're bigger, which is why they have another axle), and longer trailers are indeed easier to control in reverse. I rented a tandem-axle U-Haul recently which was not much shorter than our Boler: it wasn't particularly easy (nor difficult) to back up.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #25

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
My 1995 Toyota T100 with 3.4 V6 has a tow rating of 5,200 pounds. It has a 3.91 rear axle ratio and 4 speed auto. trans. w/ overdrive lockout feature. It has a DrawTite Class III receiver. I don't forsee any problems towing a 17' Casita as long as I don't have to do much physical labor. We will do most of our towing at low elevation (less than 1,000' MSL) and no big mountains. It performed flawlessly in the past, just turned 100,000 miles, and does not show its age.
Allen

I have had 2 different 1st Gen. Tundra Long Beds that I have towed a 17' Casita with.
The first was the same engine as in your T100 in a basic 2wd work truck and the second the V8 4wd truck.
The 3.4 has no problem towing the Casita but the V8 has even less problem with it.

I towed all over the place with the 3.4,through Colorado and from STL to S.Florida repeatedly in all kinds of weather.
I was always a little nervous beforehand but never had any troubles at all.

The Tundra is a longer wheelbase heavier duty truck but the engine is up to it either way.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 07:06 AM   #26

Name: allen
Trailer: 2005 Casita SD 17'
Arkansas
We found a 2005 Casita 17' SD 500 miles from home, went and got it, towed it back home with no problems.
We have only spent 4 nights in it and are still learning. The only problems I have had are the contrary stabilizers under the rear and figuring out the elec. operation of the water heater.
I have a crew coming next week to install a 20x20x10' high aluminum canopy to park it under. We are happy campers.
allen jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita