Casita for sale? Can I ask u pro's out there if, - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-16-2016, 01:49 PM   #1

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Casita for sale? Can I ask u pro's out there if,

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman3684 View Post
***SOLD*** 2008 Scamp camper 16 ft., loaded with options! Roof A/C , roof vent, and power vent fan. Toilet, shower, and water heater. Side dinette. Two burner stove, 3 way refrigerator with freezer, furnace, power inverter with battery. Screen door option. Rear receiver hitch for bikes...
: the fridge can be made larger by going to floor and bring right up to the top of the counter then build a box to put the 3 burner stove on top also have to make sure fridge adjusters have to be on top and not on the bottom???
like they did in the old days. Also can anyone tell me the difference between the Escape or Casita in same size or which might be a better unit. I'm not interested in Bigfoot as they are just to wide and catch the wind. The only item missing in this trailer is a Oven! we bake bread, pizza, Muffins, cookies all non Gluten/sugar free and work out good for both of us, also peach cobbler, every kind of pie one can think of, once in a blue moon a cake! SO you know why a oven is important. Big problem with Micro wave is the height of where they place them, try taking something really hot out of a MW when your 5'4" tall and see how badly burnt you get and how long in hospital recuperating. When are the people who build these items going to learn that the MW should not be higher than Counter height and if not lower.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 07:17 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
In some models the placement of the fridge is over the wheel wells, so it cannot go all the way to the floor. Also in Scamps and Casitas, the size of the fridge is limited by the dimensions of the fiberglass cabinets. Making new molds is an expensive proposition. Scamp does offer a larger 2-door fridge in some of their deluxe models (with semi-custom wood cabinetry).

Some Scamp models are available with a conventional oven; don't know about Casita or Escape. That's an option I might go for myself if I were planning to travel extensively. I enjoy fresh muffins and biscuits.

As to the microwave, I hear you about the danger. I hope that was not a personal experience. Perhaps in your case you could forego the high-mounted built-in microwave and purchase a small unit that rides on the floor and sits on the counter when parked. You'd just have to make sure there is a conveniently placed outlet with adequate amperage.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:57 AM   #3

British Columbia
THanks Jon in AZ for that info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
In some models the placement of the fridge is over the wheel wells, so it cannot go all the way to the floor. Also in Scamps and Casitas, the size of the fridge is limited by the dimensions of the fiberglass cabinets. Making new molds is an expensive proposition. Scamp does offer a larger 2-door fridge in some of their deluxe models (with semi-custom wood cabinetry).

Some Scamp models are available with a conventional oven; don't know about Casita or Escape. That's an option I might go for myself if I were planning to travel extensively. I enjoy fresh muffins and biscuits.

As to the microwave, I hear you about the danger. I hope that was not a personal experience. Perhaps in your case you could forego the high-mounted built-in microwave and purchase a small unit that rides on the floor and sits on the counter when parked. You'd just have to make sure there is a conveniently placed outlet with adequate amperage.
:
It will make me think about things when I start looking for a Trailer. Funny one never really thinks about the wheel being in the way but maybe one can re-locate the fridge to the Cupboard on the drivers side of the trailer, do away with the Micro wave as it is not really needed if one has a oven.
In Motorhomes the Micro Wave is a Big Concern for most people who are stuck with them almost as high as the ceiling. No so far we have been lucky and we have a short 10" stool to help us get closer to it, our unit did not come with a oven then one day I found a 17" Oven for sale locally and bought it for $100. We could not install a 21" due to the fact the 6 gallon HWH is right underneath and I checked all over the MH to see if Could move it to no Avail.
Were probably in one of the smallest Class A's out there with a walk around Queen bed 25.5' with a nice Dinette area single bucket chair for those nights I cannot sleep. 10" left of the counter for making sandwiches, found a bendable top for the stove and I through a thin cutting item on it also helps, and cover the dual sink all in all works out okay,
Big problem I have is my wife now wants a slide, heck I'm fine with what we have but no she wants the new 2015 Winnebago Vista 29VE with a slide that runs from just behind the Drivers seat to within 8" of the rear corner, only good thing is u can still walk from one end to the other without problems and still get into the bed if slide is still in.
But I have a few lakes I like to go fishing at and a nice smallish trailer would be way better at getting in and out of with a trailer. Not into Campers anymore.
But again thank you for the info, I have learned a lot of useful information from this site just be reading what everyone writes and talks about.
Stude
Old 09-18-2016, 12:46 PM   #4

Name: Denise
Trailer: Casita
Texas
microwave height

I had the microwave installed at the factory in my Casita SD. It is waist high, above the fridge. I'm 5'6" and its a good height, easy to work from. Without a microwave, I believe it makes more cabinet space.
wellduh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:53 PM   #5

Name: Linda
Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Ontario
A portable convection oven would do the trick for your oven needs. Most of them will hold a 12 inch Pizza pan. Positioning the oven could be tricky as you need an electrical outlet.

We were thinking about selling my 1980 Boler 17 and buying an new Casita but after pricing out what we already have including an original 4 burner stove with oven, we decided to stay with what we have.

The PO took out an upper cabinet door and fitted a portable microwave in it. You are right on about the dangers of burning and scalding.

If you need a taster tester especially for the pies...sweet or savory, I'll be right there!
Linda Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 09:06 PM   #6

British Columbia
Taster/Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Stewart View Post
A portable convection oven would do the trick for your oven needs. Most of them will hold a 12 inch Pizza pan. Positioning the oven could be tricky as you need an electrical outlet.

We were thinking about selling my 1980 Boler 17 and buying an new Casita but after pricing out what we already have including an original 4 burner stove with oven, we decided to stay with what we have.

The PO took out an upper cabinet door and fitted a portable microwave in it. You are right on about the dangers of burning and scalding.

If you need a taster tester especially for the pies...sweet or savory, I'll be right there!
: u would be hard pressed to find pies in our house, I'm diabetic and my wife is non-gluten, but she makes a real mean Peach Cobbler non-gluten and almost sugar free, uses Coconut Sugar and it works okay for me. She also does this in 3/4 berry cobbler, the Studebaker group all cannot wait for her to show up with it.
Stude