Casita Liberty Deluxe with Twin Bed Option - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2007, 05:23 PM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
The person selling a Burro mentioned he was getting a "Casita LD to have the twin bed option". I see that could be a possibly from the limited ONE picture on the Casita website, but does anyone have any more info about it?

Like how long and wide would each bed be?

Patrick
Lusting for more room, and a bathroom, and storage.
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:20 PM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
We sold our first Casita and bought a new Liberty so we could have more room. After we had it a short while I decided to convert it to twin beds.

Here are some photos...

Click image for larger version

Name:	TwinBeds_1.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	7826

Name:	Twins_inside.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	7828

We can sit six for dinner or games.

The size of each twin is - 27” x 80”. Our Casita Freedom had a standard double bed - 53" x 75" (my half was 26" x 75").

The Liberty also has wider halls and more kitchen space.
Attached Thumbnails
TwinBeds_2.jpg  
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:33 PM   #3

Thank you Mike, that was exactly what I wanted to know. That looks very practical to me and somewhat mimics the front/rear bed configuration we have in our Scamp 13'.

Another question: how is the space in the shower? I know a lot of people never use their showers because of space and other reasons, but that would be a major consideration in doing an "upgrade".

Thanks for the info!

Pat
Old 05-16-2007, 09:03 PM   #4

The wet bath/shower is larger then the one I had in my 5th wheel. I can stand with no problems. The elbow room width is generous. A tall person would have to duck their head a little.

My wife and I use our shower frequently.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:25 PM   #5

You may have noticed we made diamond pleat tuck & roll seats. Then we made very soft 4” thick cushions for the back rests. The back rest cushions are used as very comfortable bed cushions by laying them across. So each cushion is 27” wide. The height of the cushions is just enough to fill the space when they are laid down for the bed. Cool Huh?
Old 05-16-2007, 10:24 PM   #6

Yes, I was greatly admiring those tuck & roll seats! That's good looking!

Can you tell me now much your LD weighs? I don't want to get ahead of my new tow with unreasonable tows.

Thanks again for all the info.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Yes, I was greatly admiring those tuck & roll seats! That's good looking!

Can you tell me now much your LD weighs? I don't want to get ahead of my new tow with unreasonable tows.

Thanks again for all the info.
Jim & Carol Upton also tow with a Honda Odyssey. My 17’ Casita is very heavy at about 3300 pounds loaded; Black, Gray and Fresh water tanks.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:52 AM   #8
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Mike, didn't you widen your twin beds a little when you made the new cushions? I'm thinking that from the factory they're not as wide as what you quoted.

I know I tried sleeping on mine as a twin (without modification) once, and it was for the birds!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:25 AM   #9

Yes, I made a way to slide out the seat to hold the cushions. A simple little pin system keeps them from sliding around during the night. Here are a couple of photos of the underside pins and the 1/4’ hole in the fiberglass bench. I hope you can see them.

Name:	twinbeds_holes.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	7835

Note there are two sets of holes at each end in the fiberglass bench. One hole is for holding the seat in the normal sitting position and the other is to extend seat to make it into a Twin Bed. (very simple low tech)
Attached Thumbnails
twinbeds_pins.jpg  
Old 05-17-2007, 10:33 AM   #10

One of the things that prompted me to make this modification is that I got a sore back from sitting on the seats that are too high. They gave me a back ache. Now even my wife can put her feet on the floor. (she’s 5’ 2”)

(note: I believe dining room chairs are 16” high at the seat. Casita is about 20” high to the top of their stiff cushions.)
Old 05-17-2007, 10:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Mike, didn't you widen your twin beds a little when you made the new cushions? I'm thinking that from the factory they're not as wide as what you quoted.

I know I tried sleeping on mine as a twin (without modification) once, and it was for the birds!
After we made the wider beds, we find that we often just sleep on the standard width seat, but place the cushions (which are wider) in place. Seems to work OK too.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:51 AM   #12

Trailer: Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft
Looks great Mike but I am a little slow I guess. Do you have a platform for the cushions to sit on when you put the back cushions down to sleep? How do you keep the pin from puncturing the fabric or cushion when it is used to keep the cushions from sliding around? I can't tell from the pics what supports the cushions at the bottom to make the beds wider. If I understand, you have those reddish seat cushions that stay in place and they are regular width and you lay down the back cushions on top of that at night to make the beds wider?
Also, have you any ideas and pics on other modifications like the closet shelves or anything? I am trying to find ways to make my Casita more storage friendly so I don't have to stoop so much. I've had major back surgery and stretching, lifting, etc. should be lessened if possible. I am considering a Big Foot travel trailer but the 17 ft. Liberty Casita seems to be a lot lighter if I can make modifications. Any suggestions appreciated.
Charleen
charleen and doody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:01 AM   #13

I have been collecting Casita mod pictures. Here are some for the closet:
Attached Thumbnails
Hanging_drawers_in_closet.jpg   Shelves_Wire.jpg  

Shelves.jpg   Casita_3_Closet_Shelves_1.jpg  

Closet_shelves_1.JPG  
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2007, 10:02 AM   #14

Charleen,

The photo you see of the pins is the bottom side of the red cushions. I drilled two holes in the fiberglass seat. The first position is for normal seating. Then lifting the red seat up (just high enough to lift the wooden pin) allows me to move the seat out from the wall 3” to make the bed wider.

The cushions are then laid cross wise to make up the mattress for the bed. By NOT using the cushions to sit on and using them just for back rests, allows them to be made from very comfortable foam. We use Ultra Foam.

I hope this is more clear.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:44 AM   #15

Yet more shelving.
Attached Thumbnails
Closet_Shelving_Plywood.jpg   Closet_Pantry.jpg  

Tags
casita