casita, microwave or not - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-01-2019, 01:03 PM   #15

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by truenorth View Post
Iím going to be ordering my casita soon and Iíve settled on most all the options or have been able to read up here on the ones Iím still deciding on. The one I havenít seen much on is the microwave.

Iím undecided. I rarely use the one we have at home and Iím used to backpacking so no microwave there. We actually went several years without a microwave before renting a house that happened to have one built in. That said, thereís no oven which changes things.

Iím also wondering about running the microwave with the battery. I can see it being convenient at rest stops while on road trips but would it even run in this situation?

Can a toaster oven go in the space where the microwave would go? Would there be an outlet there? Would it be a fire hazard?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
We did not get the microwave with our new Casita in 2007. We are happy we did not. First they charge you a lot to build it in. If it goes bad it is hard to find one to fits properly since it is built in and framed nicely. The space comes with a 110V receptacle and the air vents for a microwave. We instantly bought a little one from Walmart for under $100 and if it dies we'll buy another one. We store stuff around the microwave until we use it. We don't use it a lot but it is handy when we want it. We cook inside our trailer all the time. Can't see having a stove and hauling something else to cook on outside in the rain, wind and bugs. We open the vent and turn on the fan when cooking. We do this in all our RV's and have done it for over 40 years. A toaster oven could be stored in the space but not used in it. There is carpet in the space that could catch fire easily. We've taken a toaster oven but keep it in our TV until we need it. We do carry a regular toaster under the sink and use it on the counter of the microwave door. We put some non-skid stuff on the inside of the door so things don't slide off when using them.

Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:50 AM   #16

Name: tom
Trailer: casita
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails View Post
I would not get the Casita without the built in microwave for 3 reasons-

a) It's easier and cheaper to replace a store bought standard microwave with another one and not a built in one

b) If you put your own in (from Target or somewhere else), you can take it out when you are not going to use electric and use the space for something else.

c) Without the built in microwave, the Casita comes with a door for the cabinet. When the door is open, it can be used as a surface for prep etc when you are using the kitchen or anything else for that matter. Personally, I use it alot. If you have the built in - there is no door, thus no shelf.

I use the microwave when we have electric and have been known to take it out and use the cabinet for storage when we are dry camping for a week or more.

This way you have the best of both worlds
Excellent advice here. This is exactly what we have done and we use our store-bought microwave regularly.

hts1190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:46 AM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Our Scamp came with a small microwave. We got rid of it because it simply took up space and we found anything it could do we could do in another way.

Now we have a bigger unit, 21 feet , and it came with a microwave convection oven we have kept it.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, microwave