Casita or ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2008, 04:35 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Well I feel like I may be starting something, but...my husband and I are trying to decide which is best for us; the Casita...we like the pics of the 17' SD, or maybe the scamp...that 5th wheel is very interesting or maybe the Eggcamper or the Oliver. How do you decide?

We are trading up from a Pop-up which I thought I would like but found it to have TOO much setting up and down when we travel cross country. I have been looking on line and at Jacyo feather lites, which look really cheap to me and Dan says...No, Too Big. So here we are trying to make a decision on what to do. We know we like the fiberglass RVs, who wouldn't, but which one???

I have been reading many of the threads, so I know I will get some good opinions. Thanks in advance.

Mags
Margaret R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 04:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You're certainly not the first to ask:

click on any of these links for more info:
Suggestion on Travel Trailer

> Which one? Scamp/Casita/Burro/Boleta/etc. - I'm so confused!

New Scamp and Casita prices

Other FGRV's and Trailers

New to rv's - benefits of fiberglass

I need your input and opinions please

Please help FG Shopper

and on, and on, and on. Check out the current manufacturers at the Helpful Links pages:
All Current Fiberglass Trailer Manufacturers

You'll find this to be a helpful bunch of people. But we do much better answering a specific question. Remember, what suits one person due to budget, taste, tow vehicle, etc. may not suit another.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 04:57 PM   #3

Thanks Donna,

I'm new here and wasn't sure how to find these links, thought I couldn't be the first. I am sure I will have more specific questions later.

Now...to explore those links!

Mags
Old 03-16-2008, 08:17 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
No problem Mags. As I said, this is a pretty popular topic. The others are wax, sealants, axles and brakes. Thank goodness we have a pretty powerful search engine!

here's another one: Which one is better?, Scamp, Burro, Uhaul?

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:26 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
One really nice way is to find an Egg campout and walk around touring the various rigs. Most folks will fall all over themselves to show them off
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Thanks Margaret for asking this question. My Dh and I are in the same boat, looking at all the brands, models, lenght's, etc available. I have looked and looked and I am still looking. Thanks Donna for the links to other disscussions. Interesting to read everyones input.

But yesterday I found an Oliver........... I love it, but know nothing about it and was hoping to find more info here. Was glad to see that Margaret had asked about them as well. Was hoping a owner would pop in and give their reveiw. Didn't find any info in the links about the Oliver, Are they that new? Are there any owners on these forums? Would love to hear about their experiance's with it. Thanks Robin
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:08 PM   #7

Robin,
You are welcome. It seems like there is so much to learn. But we'll get it all figured out!

I'd like to ask if there is anyone with a Casita, Oliver or Scamp (my husband is really interested in that Scamp 5th wheel) in South Eastern Arizona that might let us come and look it over? I'd like to get a feel for the interior size (has to be bigger than our little pop-up!) and get look at the construction and amenities.

That is a good suggestion Pete, but it sounds like all the Egg camp/outs are far, far away; has anyone heard of anything happening in my area? I'd love to go and see them all and meet some Egg owners.

Is it still an Egg if it's a Scamp 5th wheel? Maybe a double yolker? Sorry.

Donna, is there anyway to change may name on my profile...you asked for my full name and I gave it, but it really feels funny being called Margaret, when my everyday name is Maggie!

Till Tomorrow.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:16 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
All of them have web sites with phone numbers. Call each and ask if there is somebody close that has a trailer you can look at. I don't know about Oliver, but Scamp and Casita both lists of owners willing to show their trailers. You'll also get to talk to a real owner about their trailer and the factory in all three cases.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:32 PM   #9

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Maggie, yes, finding a rally and seeing samples of different brands is the way to go!

There is quite a large following in AZ, and the Blue Bonnet Rally in Texas is coming up quickly.

BB is mostly Casitas, so are most rallies, but there will be others there too. I don't know how close this is to your location, but being in SE AZ, this is probably the closest to you at this time.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:09 AM   #10

Maggie, I don't know how long a trip it would be for you, but I read somewhere that the Oliver will be at a Rv show in Sacramento Calif at the end of this Month. Sorry I don't know the dates of the show, but I do know it was in Sacramento and at the end of the month.

I would love to be able to see a bunch of fiberglass trailers together at a rallie, get together etc, as Bryon and Gina suggeseted. It would be so cool. I was just very interested in the fact that the Oliver will let you change things to fit your needs. My Dh (53 years old) was diagnosed with Alzheimer's back in January and I think he's toooooooooooo darn young to sit down and let it happen, so my thought is to get him out on the lake or river and let him enjoy life. So we will only be needing a small bumper pull to make weekend fishing trips comfortable. We have always owned class A's but sold our's a little over a year ago, and have regreted it ever since. But since the diagnosis I think a smaller rv will be better for me to handle. And everyone says how user friendly fiberglass trailers are. Plus I have always loved the cute factor of them. Hopefully I will be able to see all of them. Robin
Old 03-17-2008, 11:36 AM   #11

Trailer: 1994 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Maggi, we have a 1994 Scamp 5th Wheel, Delux package (wood interior). I pull it with a Dodge Dakota. We are located West of Tucson, AZ near Three Points.

If you PM me, I would be glad to arrange a visit so you can see it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fiberglas_RV_show_us_your_rig.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	12083
Judy N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:13 PM   #12

I have a 17 foot in Escape in Tehachapi, California you could see and will have it in Las Vegas this Friday and Zion National Park until Tuesday. Escape now makes a 5th wheel model. http://www.escapetrailer.com/
Thane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:43 PM   #13

Quote:
I have a 17 foot in Escape in Tehachapi, California you could see and will have it in Las Vegas this Friday and Zion National Park until Tuesday. Escape now makes a 5th wheel model. http://www.escapetrailer.com/
Thane,
Thank you so much for the invite, but not enough time it takes a couple of days to get to Zion for sure and I can't get time off! I will however contact Escape and get info from them. Thanks for the website.
What made you choose the Escape over the others?
Mags
Old 03-17-2008, 10:50 PM   #14

Maggie, I just got a responce on another forum that I posted a ? about the Oliver. They just bought theirs and the live in AZ............ I would have sent you the info/link in a Pm but I can't find out how to start a new pm. So here goes. It's on the www.rv.net/forums then go to travel trailers look for the post titled "As before I am looking for a quality built small travel trailer" click on it and go to page 3 and the poster is bugz42 /Lisa she even posted some pic's.......... Yippeee Skippeeee! There have also been several people who have posted about seeing them at rv show's and what they thought of them. Robin
Old 03-18-2008, 01:20 AM   #15

Trailer: Oliver Legacy
Quote:
Maggie, I just got a responce on another forum that I posted a ? about the Oliver. They just bought theirs and the live in AZ............ I would have sent you the info/link in a Pm but I can't find out how to start a new pm. So here goes. It's on the www.rv.net/forums then go to travel trailers look for the post titled "As before I am looking for a quality built small travel trailer" click on it and go to page 3 and the poster is bugz42 /Lisa she even posted some pic's.......... Yippeee Skippeeee! There have also been several people who have posted about seeing them at rv show's and what they thought of them. Robin
Lisa here. We live in Lake Havasu and would be more than happy to show Maggie or anyone our trailer. I am not sure how far away you are but if you are interested just let me know.

Lisa
Lisa H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Lisa here. We live in Lake Havasu and would be more than happy to show Maggie or anyone our trailer. I am not sure how far away you are but if you are interested just let me know.

Lisa

Thanks Robin and Lisa,
What a team! Lisa I will PM you, thanks!

Mags
Old 03-18-2008, 09:38 AM   #17

Oh Wow, your here too Lisa! That is so cool. Thanks I had posted the info for Maggie about your responce and then was able to reply to a pm from her about your responce as well. Your Awesome. Thank You. Robin
Old 03-18-2008, 09:39 AM   #18

Maggie, let me know if it works out for you to go see. Robin
Old 03-18-2008, 09:58 AM   #19

Trailer: Oliver Legacy
Thank you for putting us in touch. I hope she can come and see the trailer. I have joined as many forums as possible because we are completely new to trailer ownership and need all the help we can get. I just can't get over how nice everyone is. There is a lot of information and it has made so many things easier for us. To be honest we didn't really know the fiberglass trailers were in a class of their own and that there was such a large following so the forums are an extra bonus and have helped us to see that we really did make a good choice. Thank you everyone.
Lisa H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:19 AM   #20

Welcome to the wonderful world of Rv-ing Lisa. Yes for the most part everyone is very nice. On occasion you meet someone you wonder about but.................... It takes all kinds. I too just recently found this forum, but have been a member of the other for years. Not always active but always lurked. Been rv-ing most of my life. As I was telling Maggie, I only tented once in my life and I was 4. My Mom said, no more tents, so Dad bought a bumper pull and so basically from there I have camped in almost every type of rv out there. The only type my Parents never had was a fiberglass trailer, But I have heard so much about them, it's peaked my interest. It's wonderful that you and your family are now part of the great outdoor lifestyle. Enjoy. Thanks again for poping in and informing us about the Oliver. I may just take you up on the Lookie lou adventure. Robin

Tags
casita